N80 education

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

N80 education

Postby Mattyazza on Thu, 26 May 2016 5:41 +0000

Hi all some questions for the people that know.
Is the new chassis stronger? How? Want to install airbags but had issues on the last car.
Why are people putting 0 offset rims? Is it better for off-roading more stable or cosmetic
After breaking 4 front struts on the n70 what is a safe lift hight to avoid strut failure. Apperenlt the shocks topping out on rough road while loaded caused the failures
Locker in the front? How strong is the front axle /cv ? assume the momentume theory when off roading has to change.

And lastly any long range tanks that don't hang much lower than the standard tank?
Mattyazza

Re: N80 education

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 27 May 2016 11:21 +0000

Mattyazza wrote:Hi all some questions for the people that know.
Is the new chassis stronger? How? Want to install airbags but had issues on the last car.
Why are people putting 0 offset rims? Is it better for off-roading more stable or cosmetic
After breaking 4 front struts on the n70 what is a safe lift hight to avoid strut failure. Apperenlt the shocks topping out on rough road while loaded caused the failures
Locker in the front? How strong is the front axle /cv ? assume the momentume theory when off roading has to change.

And lastly any long range tanks that don't hang much lower than the standard tank?

1. N80 Chassis is the same as the N70, which remains as the 120 series Chassis. In my opinion, given the numerous chassis fails with people having airbags and loaded up, I would reccomend fishplating the chassis rails to strengthen them if your going to be touring alot with heavy weight in the rear and airbags pumped up.

2. Zero offset rims are easy to acquire as the offset is popular amongst many manufacturers/retailers. Zero offset also allows sufficient clearance for most 33" tyres away from the outer edge of the standard Upper control arms. Your wheel width/offset requirements should be dictated by the size of the tyre you plan to run....keeping in mind any potential for future upgrades that would suit the same rim, else replacement rims may need to be considered.

3. Suspension height should be kept to as low as possible to clear the tyres you have. The lower it is, the better ride you will have, better coilover performance, and less wear and tear CV's.

What height/suspension did you have on your N70? The way a vehicle is driven also affects component longevity.

4. Momentum should always be limited offroad. Let the vehicle/tyres do the work as much as possible.

How strong is the front end? The CV shaft is a 30spline setup, front diff is an 8" clamshell diff. A front locker will strengthen your front end and protect is if used properly. if not used properly, it will spit out cv shafts twice as fast.

Front locker should be used sparingly and only as required. When and/if it is required, always try and keep the front wheels as straight as possible. When you begin to turn the steering wheel with the front end locked, you can get "CV Bind", where one side is fighting the other, espeically on a high traction surface, and a CV shaft can be spat out as the weak link in that situation. I always try and not steer much at all with front locker installed. If you need to change direction, disengage front locker, steer/drive forward using the rear locker until you get in the right direction you need to go, re-engage front locker and continue driving.

Hope that helps.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Mattyazza on Fri, 27 May 2016 2:06 +0000

Once again thanks. I had a 3 inch tough dog lift. Every time I broke something the new one had that part improved. But it was always the lifts fault. Anyway you live and you learn.
Mattyazza

Postby Mattyazza on Fri, 27 May 2016 2:07 +0000

I keep getting told the chassis is made from a more high tensile steel now.
Mattyazza

Postby Rocket55 on Fri, 27 May 2016 2:59 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:
The way a vehicle is driven also affects component longevity.

Never have truer words been spoken Max !!!
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby PaulKaus on Mon, 26 Aug 2019 11:52 +0000

I have a question regarding the N80 Steering knuckles and how they compare to the N70. As I have a 2018 Hilux Rugged X and have bent 2 right hand steering knuckles and were wondering if they were backwards compatible?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
PaulKaus

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 26 Aug 2019 1:40 +0000

PaulKaus wrote:I have a question regarding the N80 Steering knuckles and how they compare to the N70. As I have a 2018 Hilux Rugged X and have bent 2 right hand steering knuckles and were wondering if they were backwards compatible?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

They look the same but the part numbers are different... so its unlikely the older parts will fit.

Type you VIN into partsouq.com and see how much they cost new eg https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=43212KK010
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby PaulKaus on Mon, 26 Aug 2019 3:30 +0000

Thanks for the advice. Yeah that was what I was wondering, they look identical in some of the images, but don't want to buy a part that ends up not quite fitting.
PaulKaus

Return to General Discussion