Visual, Audio and Navigation Systems

Postby Torsion on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 9:08 +0000

Ive been researching the VMS system. But wondering what else are others using that incorporates all in one - Audio, DVD, GPS (street and Topo maping) etc.
Torsion

Postby rodw on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 9:44 +0000

Torison,

There is nothing out there yet that does the lot. You need to get on the forums at [URL]http://www.mp3car.com/[/URL] You need to install a Car PC.

The front end where the action is called RoadRunner. Download it and play. My user name is RodWeb there. Join up and PM me and search for all of my posts. Bugger and I should have a working skin for OzieExplorer within Roadrunner and He sent me the first cut of the interface tonight . That will give you Topo maps. I have identified a cheap street nav solution thst give voice guided turn by turn.

Yesterday I took delivery of the USB FM radio that can be modified to plug into the external car antenna.

About to order the kit that will give me the 4 sensor temperature guage (I like cold beer) and will put a wireless card into my buggered laptop.

Finally I will add a Xenarc VGA LCD touch screen and a couple of cameras.

Regards Rod
rodw

Postby Macca on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 9:55 +0000

Torsion,
Im with you, just want a single unit mounted in the dash.
VMS looks good, dont know any one who has it up and running.
A club member has it and is into the tech stuff, will see him in 2 weeks.
Rod old mate, too many bits and wires and plugs and what did you say again?
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Macca 8-)
Macca

Postby onall4 on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 10:12 +0000

Macca & Torsion

Damo88 on this forum has a VMS and he reckons it's pretty good. Have a look at his profile.
onall4

Postby bj343 on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 10:18 +0000

torsion there are about 4 members that I know of that are running VMS, tunnel rat is one and WTF another, and when I get the funds me too
bj343

Postby rodw on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 10:50 +0000

More than one Macca, I am not a programmer, but I have got some software a work that I wrote that is pushing up around 80,000 transactions, so what would I do to stay out of the pub?

I had a hard look at the Polaris stuff recently, but it did not cut it for me, Have not looked at VMS.

Oh yes, mine will be in the dash too!

Rod
rodw

Postby Curian on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 11:24 +0000

Torsion,
I had a VMS installed 6 weeks ago. I paid approx. $3200 including a new reversing camera. For this sort of money I have mixed feelings about the unit. The radio is easy to use but has has fairly poor reception, the bluetooth is very clear sounding and the person you are talking to has no problem hearing you, but using the touch screen the scroll through your contacts is fairly difficult as the screen doesn't keep up. This means that you generally have to find the contacts on your phone. It doesn't handle call waiting at all and you have to take the second call on your phone. The road navigation uses Route 66 which works ok but having come from a Garmin Nuvi it is nowhere near as good. Watching DVDs works well. I haven't used the Oziexplorer much as yet so I really can't comment although it seems to work ok. I bought a 16Gb SD card and downloaded quite a bit of music and some extra maps onto it. Last week I noticed that the unit froze a couple of times. On the weekend trip it continually froze (new or original cards) which meant that the gps and the music wouldn't work. It seems there is a problem with the unit so now its back to Melbourne for repair. So far I would say that the unit has every thing that I want, but the software still has a lot of work to get each of the applications up to standard. I have been told that there are fairly regular upgrades so hopefully these problems will be sorted in time. I did look around a quite a bit before buying this unit and I really went for it in the end because it had topo maps which will be handy in the future. Like I said at the start of this post I have mixed feelings about the unit, if I can get these issues resolved I will be much happier.

Ian
Curian

Postby Torsion on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:22 +0000

Appreciate the feedback their fella's.
Curian that does concern me, Ive been on the VMS forum and it seems thread after thread is about problems blokes are having?? Is the VMS a little ahead of its time?
I would have thought Pioneer, Alpine and the likes would have released something compatible to the VMS by now. :-)
Torsion

Postby 2RODS on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 3:17 +0000

Ok for us gumbys what the hell is a VMS :-) :-) :-) :-)

RodW.... you lost me after mp3..

I feel technically inferior now :(
2RODS

Postby Senirb on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 8:10 +0000

I have the VMS and quite happy with it overall although it does have it minor problems. Happy with the GPS but this is my first one I used so I cannot compare. I only have the 8GB card which i thought was enough and have no problems with it freezing. YET. The phone is clear both ways but sometimes when I get a call and I press answer, it keeps on ringing, which means it is no longer handsfree as i have to use my handset to take the call. This may be my handset though??????? Still trying to get my head around the topography mapping so i cant really comment on that. The reverse camera works great, night and day and under water. lol!!! Also i have it ready for a second camera for the front down low but just need the camera. DVD player is great and also ran a wire ready to go for rear screens. My main issue is when I turn the car on and sometimes have to turn the unit on manually where it should turn itself on automatically. Apparently all these issues can be resolved in the near future when they upgrade their software.
Pioneer does have a system very similar, without topo maps for a similar price
Senirb

Postby Rich on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 8:50 +0000

Guys,
There are units that do the lot I believe, and for under $500.00

Check out the various model double DIN systems at:

http://www.eonon.com/

I know some people that have purchased these and are really happy with them.

Click on expert grade systems; The 838 model looks good for me (I already have a Navigation system and think a TV in the car would be cool) but you can get all different models - and I think they are about to release a few new ones soon also.

Hope this helps.

Rich.
Rich

Postby damo88 on Sat, 02 Aug 2008 9:46 +0000

I have had the VMS for a few months now.
The unit has all the functions, DVD, MP3, topo, street nav, radio etc but does not do any one of these functions at its full potential.
bluetooth - dont bother. absolute shite.
radio - bad reception in brisbane!
mp3 - whenever you start the car it repeats the same playlist every time even though it is on random. i.e. random is not random.
topo- pretty good but when zoomed in the resolution is horrible.
DVD - awesome!

i also installed a $40 tv tuner and can get tv when in the right areas - top of gateway bridge!

I am waiting patiently for a complete software upgrade but doubt i will see anything soon.

For $2700 the unit is overpriced but there is nothing else like it on the market. with a few software upgrades this unit could be brilliant!
despite these floors i still wouldnt trade it for something else

oh. and installation is a nightmare!!

senrib - try pausing for a second when turning key from acc to start
damo88

Postby 10K on Sun, 03 Aug 2008 7:58 +0000

Hey,

I was supposed to get the VMS... I know Tunnel Rat got it and is reasonably happy... but for the money I think that it is a bit steep.

The main draw card is the topo maps... but you could install a cheaper unit like the Eonon or the Polaris and then get a hand held topo etc and still have change left over for other stuff?

[url]http://www.polarisgps.com.au/[/url]

[url]http://www.eonon.com/[/url]

I am now looking at the Polaris, around $1200 + camera + install. Does everything I need except for Topo maps, but I can live with that.

VMS is a great unit, but IMHO well overpriced, and judging the feedback here certainly has it's issues.

Cheers
Matt

Postby Curian on Sun, 03 Aug 2008 8:03 +0000

I know that there are other members who have the VMS units, are there any other comments/problems good or bad :-) :-) :-)
Curian

Postby rodw on Sun, 03 Aug 2008 10:37 +0000

Still a work in progress, but here is the home grown look of Topo maps via OziExplorer emebdded in RoadRunner. I have updated the Graphics tonight and am waiting for a mate to update the menus, so it will be pretty well finished over the weekend.

Here is the default view with menus hidden.

Here is the main menu open:

With a sub menu open, this menu will look for map at current position or the next map to south, North, easyt or west.

Looks like I will have about $2,000 to $2,200 extra in the bank from a roll you own system which will probably be more stable as well.

;)

Rod
rodw

Postby Torsion on Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:35 +0000

2Rods - heres the VMS website, check it out.
www.vms4x4.com

Senirb, yeh I looked at the Pioneer AVIC-HD3 but without Topo Mapping and for $3600 - they can keep it.
The most important feature to me in these "all in one" is the Topo Map software. Might settle for Hema Navigator until the rest of the market picks up speed....
Torsion

Postby Macca on Sun, 03 Aug 2008 9:09 +0000

Very impressed Rod, will be interested in your progress.
Macca
Macca

Postby Tunnel Rat on Mon, 04 Aug 2008 2:16 +0000

As you know I got the VMS system (pis in my profile). Apart from the install I am happy with it but I am not having all the problems that some people are having. The problems I have with it are the Bluetooth will not answer private numbers and the route 66 street nav has no preview trip so you can see your trip in advance x10 speed like other street navs do.
I have a 8mb SD card in it with maps and lots of music has never missed a beat and could not live without the rear camera.
Would I buy it again properly not. I do think it is too much money for what it is. Looks like RodW is on a winner.

Rat
Tunnel Rat

Postby WTF on Mon, 04 Aug 2008 9:38 +0000

I also have the VMS system (bought just after seeing Rat's pictures). I did my own install, so installation was not an issue.

I have the private numbers issue, but not all the time. I have had an issue with the screen being faulty and the guys in Melbourne swapped a new screen in, but it didn't fix the problem so they gave me a new unit.

The service from VMS is excellent, sent on Tuesday morning, re-installed in car Thursday afternoon! Three days!

My radio reception is great, running 4G card, 200 mp3s and random is not random.

Toppo maps is excellent, I have loaded a number of high resolution maps and it is absolutely brilliant (need to learn the rest of the features though).

Street navigation is good, but not a slick as the unit in the wife's 07 Subaru Liberty.

Summary:
1. Would definately by again
2. After sales service is EXCELLENT
3. Unit is a bit before it's time, so there are some bugs
4. After sales service is EXCELLENT so not worried about the bugs so much.

Cheers
Rob.

By the way, RodW it looks good!!!
WTF

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:24 +0000

hitv.com just bought out there toyota model which looks like a nice fit. Lots of good features and cheaper than the VMS. It seems to be a slow growing market.

Might be worth checking out the new HEMA dash mounted gps which seems to run al these functions except for Ipod and reverse camera.
GreenHilux Guy

Next

Return to Electrical