Driving lights on roll bar

Postby lux soap on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 9:18 +0000

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have installed driving lights on the roll bar of your Xtra/ Dual cabs. I am putting some IPF 800XS lights up on mine but having a couple of dramas (Murphy's Law again). I'd like to somehow run the wiring through the cab and along the door sill/ under the carpeting but I'm having trouble finding somewhere to feed the wiring through into the cab. There's one grommet there but it won't be big enough to get the lot through.

Any feedback as to what you guys have done would be great. (And suggesting I mount them on the bullbar isn't an option as the Lightforce lights are there 8-) )

Cheers.
lux soap

Postby 10K on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 9:52 +0000

Just be careful with this install depending on how many lights your bolting on top.

I think there are laws governing how may forward facing lights you can have.

Might be worth checking out before you go ahead.
The last thing you want is to do all the hard work only to be fined for too many lights!

Cheers
Matt

Postby WTF on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:01 +0000

From memory it is a total of 6 forward facing, so two headlights, two on bull bar and two up top will be OK as long as you don't have foglights as well, because i think these count as well..

Cheers
WTF
WTF

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:43 +0000

Hey Lux, I'm in the process of mounting 4 hella 4000's on the roll bar. I am custom making a chrome bracket with hinges which will allow the lights to fold under the roof line for garage visits. All cabling is being recessed into braided lines, run down inside the bar into tray. ARB are putting in a power box on back of tray which will also have a 240 volt outlet from the dual battery for the fridge. The cabling for the power box comes from under tray and then all lights wired into that. The switch is mounted inside the cabin in the roof through my outback console along with compressor and locker switches. Its a massive fiddly job but actually cuts down on need to wire all the lights into the car.

Pics will be up on the buildup over xmas when all the kids leave school. Hope you guys like. If anyone is interested in a light kit, let me know while Im on the grinder and welder. complete bolt on
GreenHilux Guy

Postby troyco on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 5:17 +0000

G'day lux , I have 180 night stalkers on a roof rack and was able to use the grommet, I just drilled it out a bit- I have the lights power hooked to the 2nd battery in a tool box on the side of the tray and the wire through the grommet is the switch only. It would be easy enough to make this a larger sized grommet if necessary. cheers troyco
troyco

Postby Stu-k on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 8:21 +0000

I think you will find that you can`t have lights mounted higher than your headlights for road use.
But I am sure you would only use them off road use as I told the copper that pulled me up for them a few years back 8-)
Stu-k

Postby lux soap on Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:50 +0000

Cheers for the info guys. I got the shits with the whole idea of running the cables though the cab and decided to make up my own harness. I think it will be better anyhow as I've used some nice heavy gauge wiring from an old car amp wiring loom. So basically the whole lot's in the engine bay and the two +ve wires run under the body to the lights with both lights earthed individually.

Stu-k - that may be the case with the lights however if the boys in blue out here enforced that I reckon there'd only be two or three cars on the road in total!

I like the idea of that mounting bracket Greeny. I'm yet to find out if the roof of the car will interfere with the beam but I will consider a similar setup.

Cheers
lux soap

Return to Electrical