Spare wheel lock ? (spare stolen)

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Spare wheel lock ? (spare stolen)

Postby Mafioso on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 9:33 +0000

Hi
Some scum bag stole my brand new spare wheel it is the only mod I have done on my new hilux (wheels & tyres). It was a 31”cooper ST & CSA alloy rim close to $500-worth gone. My wife & I went for a bush walk and when I got back to the car I spotted the chain hanging down not a sole around. The insurance company said it’s very common these days with all the new utes .
I did a search but did not find anything on spare wheel locks for the Hilux. Does anybody know of any locks or anyway to secure the spare wheel ?

Joe
Mafioso

Re: Spare wheel lock ? (spare stolen)

Postby 9W6VX on Wed, 10 Sep 2008 1:51 +0000

Joe,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Carryboy has a spare wheel lock as one of my mates has one installed.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby camwill69 on Wed, 10 Sep 2008 5:37 +0000

Joe,
Also sorry to hear about your misfortune.
I use a simple pad lock through the chain. It will only stop some of the scum out their but at least it is something to stuff them around for a while. If they do not see the pad lock and lower the wheel it gets all tanglled up and is a real bitch to sort out, I know this as one day I forgot about it and had a hard time sorting it. Bugger.
Regards,
Camwill69
camwill69

Postby jamiecracker on Wed, 10 Sep 2008 7:15 +0000

i used to use a genuine toyota lock on my 80series
cant remember what it was off...i think it was a bundeera
it was a whell nut thing with a chrome cover that went over it and a key to get it off was very neat
jamiecracker

Postby jamiecracker on Wed, 10 Sep 2008 7:19 +0000

jamiecracker

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 10 Sep 2008 7:42 +0000

Ar$3h0l3$.... Whipping is to good for them....
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mafioso on Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:39 +0000

Thanks for all the comments guys.
Jamie great find thanks a lot just what I was after that website rocks.
The guy at Newpro-tech was very helpful those rear wheel locks will do perfect. I went a bit overboard got myself a wheel lock, P&P Turbo timer, & two of those cool light switches & the hole lot fit just like they came from the factory.
I was at ARB on Friday and tried to buy a ARB turbo timer but they had nil stock. So glade now as this newpro-Tech one looks so much better and it was cheaper. The funny thing is I ordered two of those Toyota factory fitting spot/fog light switches but have nothing to connect them to "YET" :D
Thanks again Jamie that worked out perfect you also helped me big time with a great Turbo timer.
I have loved looking at other people threads with step by step photo's on installing accessories & mods.So when my Spare wheel lock turns up I will try and do a step by step thread with photos if I can work out how to post them on here.

thx
Joe
Mafioso

Postby jamiecracker on Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:03 +0000

Mafioso wrote:Thanks for all the comments guys.
Jamie great find thanks a lot just what I was after that website rocks.
The guy at Newpro-tech was very helpful those rear wheel locks will do perfect. I went a bit overboard got myself a wheel lock, P&P Turbo timer, & two of those cool light switches & the hole lot fit just like they came from the factory.
I was at ARB on Friday and tried to buy a ARB turbo timer but they had nil stock. So glade now as this newpro-Tech one looks so much better and it was cheaper. The funny thing is I ordered two of those Toyota factory fitting spot/fog light switches but have nothing to connect them to "YET" :D
Thanks again Jamie that worked out perfect you also helped me big time with a great Turbo timer.
I have loved looking at other people threads with step by step photo's on installing accessories & mods.So when my Spare wheel lock turns up I will try and do a step by step thread with photos if I can work out how to post them on here.

thx
Joe

it was my pleasure mate
i just searched for a bit on google
looking forward to the pics :D
jamiecracker

Postby Richard on Thu, 11 Sep 2008 6:32 +0000

Thanks Jamie, also order one myself.

Richard
Richard

Postby jamiecracker on Thu, 11 Sep 2008 7:02 +0000

i will have to hit them up for commission now :D
jamiecracker

Postby Mafioso on Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:43 +0000

All my gear from Newpro-tech turned up today :D
Now that is fast service I didn't think Aus-post could be that quick I only ordered it yesterday after 11am.
The lock looks great very hi quality just have to fit it now no hurry though still have no spare wheel.
The P&P turbo timer is outstanding so glade I got this one over the ARB had it fitted in 15mins tops.
I will take some pics soon. Jamie you should hit them up as I just ordered another one for a friends New triton GLXR. I showed him my new lock & timer and he had to have them for he's ute :mrgreen:

thx
Joe
Mafioso

Postby jamiecracker on Fri, 12 Sep 2008 7:00 +0000

that was very quick
jamiecracker

Postby berniecam on Sat, 13 Sep 2008 5:51 +0000

yep, they are only oxygen thiefs.I have boltcutter proof chain & matching padlock with abloy key,has about 12mm links,case hardened its covered in a canvas sheath,fits through crossmember,above spare wheel,once its on if you dont have a key,only way would be an angle grinder,& even the its takes a while,I picked it up at an ag show I think may be motorcycle shops may have them.CHEERS :(
berniecam

Postby k-man on Sat, 13 Sep 2008 9:04 +0000

Does anbody know if these New-Pro locks fit 32's on 16 x 8's??
I'd rather check before finding something doesn't reach.

Cheers
k-man

Postby Juddian on Mon, 06 Oct 2008 5:06 +0000

I use the same as berniecam, a very tough motorcycle chain and chubb padlock, over the chassis (tucked under the wires that pass along the top of chassis though) and through a wheel spoke. Padlock hangs inside the wheel, very little chance on them getting a puchase with a cutter of any sort.

If they have an angle grinder and don't mind the risk, then they'll have it i suppose, but its the best solution in England so far.

Our problem seems to be the theft of 'cats', as i often say...''anything bar a days work'' for some of these scum, suppose i'll be getting a plate bolted under the cat soon enough.
Juddian

Return to General Discussion