FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Postby BundyBoy on Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:04 +0000

Robert,

Have tried to PM you my email, but for some reason they wont send form the outbox?????

So here it is: scott@rivercityenergy.com.au

Cheers

Scott
Just throwing some chlorine into the gene pool.....
BundyBoy

Postby gjkirby on Thu, 30 Jun 2011 9:53 +0000

Can not praise these guys and there products enough, have never encountered such helpful customer service. Fitted chip to an 06 hilux and couldn't believe the difference! thanks for the time and effort you put into releasing such a great product, cant wait to start playing around with tunes.
Glen
gjkirby

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 9:04 +0000

Thanks for that gj
CHIP IT

Postby Tradewind on Sun, 03 Jul 2011 6:30 +0000

Are the claims made on this website link (see below) a concern? I purchased a Chipit (top of line kit) last year for a Navara, is trouble headed my way?? Obviously this artical talks about the majority of chip systems rather than any one brand.

I would like to be reassured .........

http://www.supercarperformance.com.au/diesel_smart.php
Hilux V6 4.0 - 2006 with Supercharger. 256rwkw/320kw engine - 575Nm Torque
Tradewind

Postby CHIP IT on Mon, 04 Jul 2011 8:35 +0000

Tradewinds we certainly have NEVER had a customer report an issue because of the chip (or petrol injection) kits we produce.
CHIP IT

Postby Tradewind on Tue, 05 Jul 2011 3:50 +0000

No worries then - all good :-)

Vehicle is performing fine to this point.
Hilux V6 4.0 - 2006 with Supercharger. 256rwkw/320kw engine - 575Nm Torque
Tradewind

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 09 Jul 2011 6:00 +0000

What is the standard peak torque programmed into this chip on the non-EGT version and the EGT versions?

Do they both have the same programs in them or different?

If I told you for example "I wanted an EGT chip" to suit my Hilux auto with 3" exhaust fitted and I wanted heaps of low to mid range torque", would you have a program already preset for that or be able to preset it before I get it based upon your experience/history with all other customers from the past?

Just so I dont have to mess with custom tunes and the like and get a program already in it that will suit me.

cheers for taking the time to respond..... :ugeek:

Edit:

Just to add another question.....

With big tyres and this chip fitted to a D4D auto, does it cause any excess wear on the auto itself....any excess over heating or does it work the other way around?

Im guessing the extra toque helps on the road with the auto in that you can hold much stronger a taller gear at lower revs...is my assumption correct? Excuse my ignorance, Ive never driven a chipped D4D before and am seriously considering it in the next fortnight...especially after the 305's went on :roll:

Edit 2:

Just checking out your website and reading the EGT fact page too, and came across you dyno graphs....I understand my way round them but your stated figures on the page somewhat confuse me. Link -> http://www.chipit.com.au/chipped_vehicles/chipped-vehicles/toyota/hilux-d4d-05?srchmake=74&srchmodels=2401

states that D4D ENGINE - 694NM + and below that 399NM+....

What is the claimed maximum torque achievable with the EGT chip on a tune to match the 3" exhaust?

apologies for all the questions :oops:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Rebs on Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:58 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:
Im guessing the extra toque helps on the road with the auto in that you can hold much stronger a taller gear at lower revs...is my assumption correct? Excuse my ignorance, Ive never driven a chipped D4D before and am seriously considering it in the next fortnight...especially after the 305's went on :roll:

Interesting question. The gear shifting in the autos is controlled by the transmission ECU so when any performance chip is installed and it changes the engine characteristics, does the ECU actually recognise the change and adjust the shift patterns to suit, or not. Never been able to get a satisfactory answer to this one.
Rebs

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:44 +0000

Rebs wrote:
mmaaxx wrote:

Interesting question. The gear shifting in the autos is controlled by the transmission ECU so when any performance chip is installed and it changes the engine characteristics, does the ECU actually recognise the change and adjust the shift patterns to suit, or not. Never been able to get a satisfactory answer to this one.

bump? :roll:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby SR-5 on Mon, 15 Aug 2011 9:05 +0000

Robert pls check your inbox. Thanks
SR-5

Postby Richard on Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:43 +0000

G'Day Robert,

In your opening FAQ spiel you say you can custom tune the module via the Co-Pilot program "whilst you drive the vehicle". Can you explain that to me please?

Cheers
Richard
Richard

Postby dirtyharry on Mon, 05 Mar 2012 7:14 +0000

Time to bump this one as there's some unanswered questions above and I'd like know how everyone running one of these chips is going with them?
dirtyharry

Postby CHIP IT on Wed, 07 Mar 2012 9:05 +0000

hi all

i would like to inform you all that Robert is currently no longer the director of chip it and that the chip it workshop in Sydney has been closed down and will be all phone calls and sales will be going through the Clarkson workshop in Perth.

i am happy to help and continue answer all the questions and providing support that rob has previously been doing :)
CHIP IT

FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Postby dirtyharry on Thu, 08 Mar 2012 3:36 +0000

Struth! What brought this on?
dirtyharry

Postby wombat40 on Sat, 10 Mar 2012 9:25 +0000

I've been (semi) vocal about my Chip it mods and while dyno charts are really just a comparitive tool (you can't take figures from one dyno and directly compare with another on a different day) I must say that the dyno chart above is understating the benefits! (also it needs to show torque increases as these are probably a better indication)

With the 3" exhaust and with Dean at Chip-it Balcatta (Perth) spending some time to fully tune in I have 186 RWHP and 408 FtLbs of torque (std was 123 and 240 respectively) If I had a scanner I'd post but seriously anyone who is even moderatley thinking of doing this - should.

Oh, I'm still getting over 800km out of a tank, (I have a 2WD not a 4WD), with a best of over 870km.

Cheers

Greg
Life's a tour not a race, just don't get in my way when I'm touring.
wombat40

Postby Hellbound on Sun, 11 Mar 2012 9:58 +0000

Sounds great but i'l love to know how many km's your engine will get to before i goes bang, time will tell i guesss. If your chasing heaps of power then should have got the v6 then supercharged it - altho down on power the deisels should last alot longer, cranking up the power and torque they produce would only shorten their lifespan i would have thought?

Does the Chip-It just have on connector that goes to the fuel rail or has it got connectors that go to each injector aswell?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby Jack S on Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:02 +0000

Plugs go to both the common rail sensor and map sensor...
Jack S

Postby CHIP IT on Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:16 +0000

Hellbound wrote:Does the Chip-It just have on connector that goes to the fuel rail or has it got connectors that go to each injector aswell?

Chip It has both styles of chips. Common rail (and MAP as well) and also the Injector style piggy back unit. Just so that if people prefer one type over another there is one to suit.

Also, if diesels had issues with powering up the engines they would be about 10% of the diesel population in Australia all complaining that the chips shorten engine life. The reason you do not hear this is because the engine is strong enough to handle the increase. Two things kill engines: HEAT and RPMS. We dont change the RPMs and we have an optional EGT controller/gauge that monitors EGTs and takes the chip off line if they get too hot.

Regarding RPMs. Since you no longer have to wring the neck of the engine to get it to go, one could argue that chipping will increase the life of the engine. Of course lengthening the life of the engine is speculation as no one has done a study. However studies are happening everyday as to if the engine life is shortened. IE poeple would be complaining as I mentioned above.
CHIP IT

Postby Hellbound on Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:48 +0000

Thanks for the reply - EGT problems make sense so its great that the chip monitors and adjusts the power to suit this variable.

My point is that hardly any chipped engines would be near their expected life span as yet, maybe some would be getting up around 250,000km but i highly doubt they'd have been running a chip since day one.

Does anyone on here know of the highest km d4d thats been chipped for all its life? Thats the question as its too soon to tell if the chips does any damage as hardly any chipped engines are approaching 250+km
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby wombat40 on Sun, 11 Mar 2012 12:21 +0000

I had all the mods, including the EGT, fitted @ around 100,000km, now working toward the 170k mark.

Last service (160k) was with Toyota, I told them of all the mods (including no cat) and had no problems at all.

You might like to see my post re smoke however :D
Life's a tour not a race, just don't get in my way when I'm touring.
wombat40

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems