Rear 1/4 Chop - completed!

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Rear 1/4 Chop - completed!

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 8:50 +0000

Guys,

Im going on long service leave in a week and during that time I hope to undertake a rear quarter panel chop on my hilux (all going well and I actually find time after the birth of my 3rd :shock: ).

So I thought I'd start a thread of what I plan to do and along the way record the project for other who may be interested in doing the same or similar modification.

First of all the rear quarter chop for those that dont know is when you cut the lower protion of your rear quarter panel behind the rear wheel and the bit of meat under the tail gate to gain more departure angle.

The first thing that will need to be done is to mask up with tape the tub area that will be cut with painters tape or similar. Measuring 3 times and cutting once hey ;)

The tail lights will need to be removed and all towbar associated wiring so everything is out of the way for when you start cutting.

Here is a pic of a tacoma that has had this mod done -

After the cut, you should mask the area thats been cut, and paint a little bit of rust proof paint on it and then cover it with some "pinchweld rubber" you can get from Clarke Rubber or auto stores.....

I wont be making my own rear bar straight away as I wont have time, but will in the future, so in the meantime I plan to raise my factory towbar upto to just underneath the tailgate (and get a goose neck towbar tongue to suit) and will have to fabricate some mudflaps and brackets to use in the meantime to keep the law off my tail.

The following tacoma is my inspriation....

He has a removable mudflap that he take off for offroading.....I plan to do the same thing.

Below is a diagram of what he did....basically its two tube steel pieces, he used circle tube, Ill try and use square tube, but one slide inside the other. The shorter "inner" tube gets welded into place off the side of the chassis rail, the longer tube that has the rubber mudflap tech screwed into it slides over the smaller one and is held on with a bolt going through both. Simple. Then get some chain to hold the mudflap back abit off the tyre.
In the pic below you can see the mudflap bracket stub sticking out of the side of the chassis rail -

Here is a "Paint" photo edit of what the back end of the hilux I hope to look like?
The new lowest point of the tub will be much higher than the rock sliders, so realistically almost everything the rock sliders get over I shouldnt hit the tub.....in most cases :roll:

Here is some close ups of what I plan to do....Im going to try and follow the "lines" of the hilux's tub, that is the shape of the moulds in the panel work so it wont be exactly a horizontal cut, but angle slightly towards the front -

Like I said, later on Ill make a rear bar for it, but in the meantime Ill have the clearance Im wanting/looking for and with the mudflaps fitted it'll still be legal and not attract too much attention....I hope :oops:

Its not for everyone I know but its what I want to do to achieve a departure angle with my current ride height to match the increase approach angle I now have with the front Xrox bar.....then along with the improved ramp over angle I will achieve by "clocking the crawler box" that Ill be installing I should have the clearance that a much higher hilux has without the mods.

Appendices

Here's a couple pics of Tacoma's that have had the rear quarter chop done fitted with custom bars. Not sure which way Im going to go yet...have time for that.

Plate Type Rear Bar

Tube Type rear Bar

Last edited by Hilux Max on Wed, 24 Feb 2010 12:02 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Rear 1/4 Chop

Postby SerbLux on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:10 +0000

Good read Max. I am watching to see how it will evolve, their is a silver hilux getting around in Adelaide which has the rear step/towbar modified to suit and sit nicely under the quarter pannel cut. I would have done the same if I still had my tub on...don't need to do it as my drop sides tray achieves it all and more.

Good luck max

Ivan
'Take one for the Team' and do your Part
SerbLux

Postby pootrol on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:43 +0000

you arnt interested in a custom tube tray. it seems like a lot of work to still run the risk of rear panel damage. i prefer the look that your achieving by doing the cut cos i like the tubs but looking at the grazes etc up the sides i just wonder is it worth it.
See my face book page at. Custom canopies.
pootrol

Postby Twisty on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:46 +0000

Am keen to see how this turns out.
Twisty

Postby Boof on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:55 +0000

Pootrol IMO no it isnt but having said that Tubs are cheap and quarter cuts easy to do. Custom trays are expensive so doing a qtr chop is a relativately cheap way to get some clearance. 8-)

Tourer/Daily Driver - 120 V6 Prado with some mods and some bling.
Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:32 +0000

Boof has hit the nail on the head.....

As much as Id love a tube tray its something I both cant afford and dont have the time to do....this is the cheapest way to achieve what I am after and tubs are relatively cheap to purchase aswell.....

good thing is, Ill be home for a while so I dont have to rush it all in one day....I can take my time and do bit by bit.... :mrgreen:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby cr1pp5 on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 1:10 +0000

well if ya need a hand max, im your man. Have had previous experience in rear 1/4 chops as seen on my mighty MK :mrgreen:
R.I.P. The Bogan Truck 14/11/2007 - 08/05/2010
cr1pp5

Postby glenn on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 1:11 +0000

mmaaxx 1/4 chop looks kool. will you be doing anything with your spare as i looks like it may end up much more exposed after the chop?
g.j.ensor gas & plumbing. 0422 152 094
glenn

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 1:22 +0000

glenn wrote:mmaaxx 1/4 chop looks kool. will you be doing anything with your spare as i looks like it may end up much more exposed after the chop?

The spare will be removed and tied into the tub when going offroad......yes, it would be pretty stoopid to chop the rear quarter and leave the spare where it is..... :shock:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Alby on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 2:31 +0000

Should look pretty cool Max, look forward to seeing it.

Wouldn't it be good if Tojo gave you a refund for all the bits that you cut / take off and don't need any more. ;)

Is the baby due whilst your on LSL ?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 4:48 +0000

all i can say is Max ya a brave man to be putting a grinder to body panels on the lux, :o i couldent even bring myself to put a hole saw through the front quarter for the snorkle lol
love the look of these body chops though.
she is gonna be even more of a beast when ya done :D

Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 5:14 +0000

Alby wrote:Is the baby due whilst your on LSL ?

yeah mate...due marcg 3rd, but Im taking the week beforehand off "just in case"....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby cr1pp5 on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 6:10 +0000

max dunno if you need/want this info...but stuff ya :lol:
Here are some pics of when i chopped my 1/4's. I put my tape along where i wanted to cut, then got the texta out and drew along the top and the bottom, took the tape off and cut along the bottom line. Then I cut upwards until i hit the top line and did these about 1" apart. Then you fold these under and wallah, ya done.

Cheers
John
R.I.P. The Bogan Truck 14/11/2007 - 08/05/2010
cr1pp5

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 6:12 +0000

thanks for the tip...but not gonna fold then metal back.....will only make the paint flake and crack apart....thats why I said Im gonna paint a think strip beside the cut and on the cut and cover it with the pinchweld rubber...
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby joshmackay23 on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 6:50 +0000

love your ideas mate. cant wait to see how it turns out. good luck!
Understate and Over Deliver
joshmackay23

Postby MADDOG on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 7:12 +0000

A mate and I were talking about doing this to my lux a couple of weeks ago............but it was only talk.

You're an inspiration to use all mmaaxx. Good on ya
MADDOG

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 11 Feb 2010 6:18 +0000

MADDOG wrote:A mate and I were talking about doing this to my lux a couple of weeks ago............but it was only talk.

I think thats going abit far :oops:

if I cant spend the cash meself I always try and get you blokes to spend your instead :lol:

just ask Rod.....he'd be living in a mansion on the goldcoast by now if if I stopped convincing him he needs this and that for his hilux :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Alby on Thu, 11 Feb 2010 6:42 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:
Alby wrote:Is the baby due whilst your on LSL ?

yeah mate...due marcg 3rd, but Im taking the week beforehand off "just in case"....

All the best with the birth mate, I am a bit concerned about you being around your Lux with an angle grinder at such a stressful time in your life. Childbirth can make a man do crazy things and act irrationally.
Hate to have you report back that you got a bit carried away and turned the bronze bitch into a convertable. :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby MADDOG on Thu, 11 Feb 2010 6:50 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:
MADDOG wrote:A mate and I were talking about doing this to my lux a couple of weeks ago............but it was only talk.

I think thats going abit far :oops:

:? :oops: Yeah, maybe it was a tad overboard. I was emotional last night. You have to understand.........I serviced my chainsaw last night. 8-) Sawdust, dirt, grease, grime, petrol fumes and half a dozen beers is a recipe for an emotional MADDOG. Did I mention bar lube :roll: . The missus wasn't interested in what I had in mind, so I thought I'd jump on the forum a spread some love..................................................... :)
MADDOG

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 11 Feb 2010 7:14 +0000

MADDOG wrote: :? :oops: Yeah, maybe it was a tad overboard. I was emotional last night. You have to understand.........I serviced my chainsaw last night. 8-) Sawdust, dirt, grease, grime, petrol fumes and half a dozen beers is a recipe for an emotional MADDOG. Did I mention bar lube :roll: . The missus wasn't interested in what I had in mind, so I thought I'd jump on the forum a spread some love..................................................... :)

hehe.. funny.. i did my chainsaw last night too! and then we both ended up in chat.. co-incidence ???? i had to replace a broken exhaust stud as well as clean it though... :)
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Member Build Ups