6th gen Comp truck... tube started

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

6th gen Comp truck... tube started

Postby Boof on Wed, 02 Sep 2009 6:39 +0000

Ok I was going to wait until more happened but what the hell might as well post up some info for those interested.

I have been a Hilux fan for a while and late last year decided I wanted to turn my 4th gen dual cab into a single cab. Earlier this year I purchased a 5th gen cab and made a start, I then got carried away and ordered some Mog 404 diffs. So with that decision I started to contemplate building my idea of the perfect Hilux comp truck 8-)

At this stage we are still at least 2 if not 3 months off actually making a start but for now I will post up some pics of what gear I have and an idea on the final outcome.

The diffs are still on their way from overseas, they are a Mog 404 which is a portal diff and also has a ratio of 7.56 all of this helps to reduce the pressure on the rest of the driveline. They also come standard with cable operated lockers and drum brakes all round.

The pic is of a front and a rear I have also got another front coming, the rear will be converted to a steer, this is being done as the rear has a centred output like the original Hilux configuration. This will give me a passenger drop pumpkin on the front and centred rear, all wheel steer setup. Steering will be full hydro and I am still looking into the options joystick with centreing switch for the rear. The diffs will also recieve a pinion conversion, disk brake conversion using Nissan Patrol gear and the cable operated lockers will be converted to air actuation

The engine is the Lexus 1uz 4.0L quadcam V8 with aftermarket management I had in my last Hilux. At this stage I really want to twin turbo it however the overall cost of the build may see this go to the future list :cry: The 1uz will be mated to a standard 1uz 4 speed auto which is an A341E, by using the rear casing from a surf, Hilux, or Prado auto I can shorten the output shaft on the A341E to mate up to a left side drop chain drive case from any of those 3 vehicles. The auto will be completely standard aside from the addition of a larger sump from again one of the 3 donor autos and an electronic bypass box. This means the auto will no longer change automatically and will basically be like a manual. By using the chain drive case and standard auto gives me a few advantages. One cost they are both cheap items, two they are both standard meaning easy swaps if I get breakages, I believe the mogs taking the pressure off the driveline will help keep these items in one piece.

I am still looking into wether or not to run A/C on the new setup, but it will be running twin alternators, the standard 1uz alternator is a 120A output so twins should see me with plenty of charging power.
Last edited by Boof on Mon, 04 Jan 2010 7:34 +0000, edited 4 times in total.

Tourer/Daily Driver - 120 V6 Prado with some mods and some bling.
Boof

Re: Sixth Gen Comp Truck

Postby Boof on Wed, 02 Sep 2009 6:40 +0000

One of the reasons for the Mogs is so that I can run a 40" tyre without the fear of breakages everytime I get into the skinny pedal. The rims will be a Mickey Thompson 17x9 Classic II with IFS offset, the reason for the shallow offset is to keep the width down as the mogs are a wide diff to start with. The rims will have custom external beadlocks fitted to them to give me a one off rim 8-)

The tyres will be a 40" Maxxis comp spec Trepadore

The suspension will be a link setup front and rear, at this stage its looking like I will be running an coil over air shock.

There is a lot of other things to still be finalised and a lot of it cant be done until all the gear has arrived, I will keep this updated once progress starts 8-)

Also last but not least here is the pics of the cab I picked up yesterday, it is an 06 trade mate so I am already looking into changing the guage cluster out for one from an SR or I may go silly and try and find some TRD parts from overseas :twisted:

I will be looking into things like doors guards etc when its all needed.

Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 02 Sep 2009 6:56 +0000

Great Stuff mate....looking forward to the s.....l....o....w.....buildup ;)

Should looka wesome and capable when complete....just think, in a year and a half when the enxt shape comes out, you can then do another cab swap to keep it looking new! LMAO :lol:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Bull on Wed, 02 Sep 2009 7:41 +0000

Wow Boof, nothing like taking on a big job! It sounds good so far, just one question.
Why did you choose a single cab over an extra cab?
Bull

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 02 Sep 2009 7:48 +0000

Bull,

I think so he can have a shorter vehicle when complete....could be wrong but he cut the chasis rails off behidn the cab and the rear will be a full tube buggy chassis.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Boof on Wed, 02 Sep 2009 7:49 +0000

Cheers Max it usually takes me a year or more to like new shapes so I am good for a year or two :lol:

Bull I looked into an extra cab but to be honest it would make the wheelbase longer than I am after and also they are more expensive, :shock:

I am aiming for a wheelbase of 110-112" also I must admit the amount of extra room in the 06 cab to the 00 cab is amazing and I am really happy with it.

Boof

Postby Boof on Wed, 02 Sep 2009 7:52 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Bull,

I think so he can have a shorter vehicle when complete....could be wrong but he cut the chasis rails off behidn the cab and the rear will be a full tube buggy chassis.

Yeh this one will have the chassis chopped behind the cab also, only chassis will be from B pillar to the just behind the front diff. I must admit I have a feeling it will turn out completely different to what I had planned for the last cab, will definately have some bling factor :twisted:

Boof

Postby rodw on Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:55 +0000

Awesom Boof. Please keep this thread up to date. Some of us are patient types, I know how long these things can take... :o
rodw

Postby jamiecracker on Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:10 +0000

iam jealous now and not liking you much boof :D
jamiecracker

Postby Boof on Thu, 03 Sep 2009 4:51 +0000

Well I have had a real good look over the cab and found that the entire wiring loom is intact. So I have decided to hook up the ac and heaters and basically have the cab fully operational except for the airbag gear.

I will relocate the fuse box from the engine to the tray with the batteries, I have also decided to run an internal cage with roof rails rather than an exo. I want to try and keep the factory lines as much as possible and make it as tidy as I can.................at least till its first hard wheeling trip :twisted:

I will be running full doors for social and winter wheeling and skinned tube doors the rest of the time. Twisty has been filling my head with some other Bling tips so we will see what it ends up as :lol:

Boof

Postby KTM525EXC on Fri, 04 Sep 2009 2:32 +0000

sounds like its gonna have the works cant wait to see it in the build up stage :D
Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Ryano on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 12:05 +0000

Boof wrote: I have also decided to run an internal cage with roof rails rather than an exo. I want to try and keep the factory lines as much as possible and make it as tidy as I can.................

Thank goodness for that! Still trying to talk another someone out of chopping the roof off his. :roll:
Can't wait to convoy all the toys down to TT11. That'll turn some heads then.
Ryano

Postby Boof on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 12:27 +0000

Ryano wrote:
Boof wrote: I have also decided to run an internal cage with roof rails rather than an exo. I want to try and keep the factory lines as much as possible and make it as tidy as I can.................

Thank goodness for that! Still trying to talk another someone out of chopping the roof off his. :roll:
Can't wait to convoy all the toys down to TT11. That'll turn some heads then.

Yeh but the panel damage is going to be brutal :?
Also I am not 100% convinced on the mogs yet have been doing some research on spider 9s and diamond setups :roll:
I need to start this thing before I run out of ideas and give up :twisted:

On a good note though I may have found a chassis with enough of it non bent to suit my needs, I have a bumper lined up and a tub also :twisted:

Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 1:30 +0000

you got a current shape chassis?

current lux being as wide as an 80 series would an 80 series chassis be an option and put the cab on that?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Boof on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 1:39 +0000

Yeh Max have a lead on a current shape chassis, this is the way I will go just need to find the right one for the right price 8-)

The new chassis has a lot of advantages over my current one after having a good look at Twistys while it was on the hoist last week. Have been spending that much time reading I have had enough and just want to make a start, looking forward to getting the Playdo out for a wheel this weekend to remind me why I am going to all this effort :oops:

Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 1:57 +0000

Way to go mate!

You'll be better of with the wider chassis rather than trying to make the new gen cab fit the old one.....

did ya manage to sell all the old gear off? Cab, cut chassis etc ?

Come to think of it, now I really am interested to see what your gonna do regarding chassis mounts for the live axle front end?

Have you considered using a Dana front end like the yanks do instead of the mogs?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Boof on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 2:16 +0000

I sold off most of the things that could be sold off and I didnt want to keep. The old dually cab has gone to Ryano to rust in a paddock next to Twistys old runner, the single cab went to Bubs to probably be destroyed like he does everything else :lol:

Not really interested in dana diffs, the only reason it doesnt have yota diffs under it is the mogs came up at the right price. And lux diffs wont handle 40s, if I dont go mogs it will be some kind of aftermarket housing with yota internals 60 centre 80 long side longfield axles etc.

If I can find some pics of low rigs on mogs I will run with them as I think it will be damn near bulletproof. :?

Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 2:29 +0000

Boof wrote:If I can find some pics of low rigs on mogs I will run with them as I think it will be damn near bulletproof. :?

Boof,

Heres a 4 runner running Volvo portal axles....not 100% what your after but close....

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Boof on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 2:34 +0000

hrmmm cheers max

Boof

Postby Boof on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 8:12 +0000

Well I am over not having something to wheel so I started looking around last week to buy an old banger to trash while I built this. Problem is I know what I am like and I would have dropped too much money and gear into it and never finished this build.

So what to do :?

Well I did what anyone with a habit of changing his mind would do and changed my mind :twisted:

So at this stage the Mogs will be left in the shed for a while so I can save some funds and acquire the parts to put them under the rig in what will be version 2.0 of this build.

I have purchased a pair of 60 series landcruiser diffs, and am working through the ordering process at present for some chromo axles and CVs, air lockers and some 4.88 gears, along with a rear disconnect, so I can do front digs to compensate for the lack of 4 wheel steer. Some other items may be ordered depending on whats needed.

I will still be using my 1uz and the auto I have except I will be mounting them up to my Top shift gear drive case which has been fully rebuilt and fitted with 4.7 reduction gears, chromo output shaft and Twin stick. I will be refitting the TG 3" Leaf front I had on my previous setup to an 05 chassis I am hoping to pick up this week. All going to plan the pics of progress will start to filter through mid next week. It will still be running the 40" Trepadores but on a different rim as I will need more offset than the Classic IIs can provide now that I am running 60 diffs. The front and rear will also be dovetailed to compensate for the lack of width.

Plan is to build it completely before stripping it down for paint and prep. It will be completed by Christmas and I will be nominating for Tuff Truck 2010 8-) 8-)

Basically the end result is hoping to be similiar to this but green and with a 6th gen cab :twisted:

Boof

Next

Return to Member Build Ups