fractured rangas build, the lemon chronicals

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: fractured rangas build, it never ends

Postby Richolux150 on Sat, 23 Jan 2016 7:36 +0000

Hey FR
Just love your Rig........just freaking awesome.........and how convenient your now in Bell, we are practically neighbours......well I used to live in Tbar but now live on the Goldie......but now your conveniently located smack bang in between LMP and Janowen....so could go wheeling one WE. :) :) :)
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 05 Mar 2016 7:13 +0000

MitchScheele wrote:
fracturedranga wrote:cheers mitch ill try answer what i can
tray all up was around 3 grand ish cant remember exactly as i made it myself i saved a ton on labour, the canvas is joined to the roof using an ally channel and a bead thats stitched into the canvas, i think its how theyre all done, it also means i can take it off if i need to.
as for the tyre carrier its reinforced with vinyl patches where the tyre sits and the rod feeds through a hole which is also reinforced with vinyl. as for the size i wish now that i did make the canopy longer, if i did it again id make it the tray length minus the spare width cos at the moment the back bit is mostly wasted space. when i built it i just made it big enough for my wheelchair and the fridge, as it is there is still enough storage space for my camping gear and as its a dual cab and i dont have kids there is heaps of room for gear on the back seat.
the fridge slide i designed myself but got a local engineering shop to build, it was a lot easier for them to build it and debug it as they have access to all the steel and tools. id just drop round every now and then and brainstorm solutions to dramas or point out what theyd got wrong. cost a bit but its done now. After i find out if i can sell the plan or not ill post up more details and pics of it in action
cheers,
shaun

Cheers mate, can you take more photos if possible? Did you make provisions for racks on the roof? If you wanted to do a roof top tent on it? If i wereto do my own and did a dual tyre carrier what would you suggest for reinforcement? How did you do the carrier attachment? Weld lugs and put wheel nuts thru?

Cheers
Mitch

hey mitch sorry it took so long, heres a pic of what ive done
i just bolted the rod through the a cross support i welded into my canopy. i then use the original wheel holder from the tub that i cut the chain off. i secure it with a padlock and wire rope to the tray
fracturedranga

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 05 Mar 2016 7:33 +0000

Richolux150 wrote:Hey FR
Just love your Rig........just freaking awesome.........and how convenient your now in Bell, we are practically neighbours......well I used to live in Tbar but now live on the Goldie......but now your conveniently located smack bang in between LMP and Janowen....so could go wheeling one WE. :) :) :)

Cheers Richo, well have to catch up one weekend and go for a bash,

not a great deal has happened with the lux, ive ordered a front mount intercooler kit which will hopefully turn up next week. I also replaced a couple of studs that snapped when i rotated the tyres and i have a full set of new studs and nuts to go on when i can build up the motivation

mostly been wasting money on replacing broken stuff from the move (my brother rolled the removal truck i hired an hour out of townsville) and getting necessities like a ride on and a real dog (the missus has a maltese cross)

the truck, it was a long bloody day luckily no one was hurt

the dog, border collie kelpie cross ive called Brin

new ride on

i also got the gear together to modify my box trailer into a camper/ quad bike trailer. Ill be starting to make it next week once i finish my new workbench

huntsman products independent suspension kit

the trailer and the steel

and my new roof top tent, its an XTM auto setup hardtop from BCF

unfortunately i cant get internet at my new place and have to use mobile data which costs a mint so updates with pics will be limited to the end of the month when i have internet to use up.
fracturedranga

Postby NZMarkb on Sun, 06 Mar 2016 2:20 +0000

The new shed looks like a nice blank canvas
Have fun setting it up :D
How in hell did he roll the truck?
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fracturedranga on Sun, 06 Mar 2016 10:33 +0000

NZMarkb wrote:The new shed looks like a nice blank canvas

He fell asleep, at 630 in the morning drifted into the gutter that was muddy and slid sideways back onto the road and rolled
fracturedranga

Postby NZMarkb on Sun, 06 Mar 2016 11:07 +0000

fracturedranga wrote:
NZMarkb wrote:The new shed looks like a nice blank canvas

He fell asleep, at 630 in the morning drifted into the gutter that was muddy and slid sideways back onto the road and rolled

We've all been close to that at some point or another
Glad to hear no one was hurt
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby packeteer on Tue, 08 Mar 2016 2:39 +0000

heh, I thought that ifs kit was for the Lux at first
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby gold member on Fri, 18 Mar 2016 3:16 +0000

Spotto- rig is looking good mate
gold member

Postby Richolux150 on Fri, 18 Mar 2016 6:56 +0000

Ahh nice....looking forward to the full article.......
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby fracturedranga on Fri, 18 Mar 2016 8:04 +0000

Cheers goldmember I forgot about that, apparently the pics from the shoot turned out really well and the full article should be in the next issue
fracturedranga

Postby gold member on Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:02 +0000

fracturedranga wrote:Cheers goldmember I forgot about that, apparently the pics from the shoot turned out really well and the full article should be in the next issue

Yeah I will Certainly keep an eye out for the next issue! Congrats
gold member

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 19 Mar 2016 4:17 +0000

not a great deal has hapened with the hilux recently, stil waiting for my front mount to turn up and i got the gear together to do a full egr/maf clean at the same time.
i also painted the shed floor in jotacote which came up well

my latest project has been a camper trailer build
started with my cheap 6x4 box trailer,my quad fits snug in it so it seemed like a good base
i then cut out the corners and welded in some 50x50 shs steel that id welded some stainless nuts to
i then built a box to sit in them, its 40x40x3mm shs and is probably a bit overkill but its definately not going to break in a hurry. My roof top tent will mount on this
fully tig welded, which im finally getting the hang of. i now only foul up the tip 10 times a session :D

tomorrow my neighbours coming over with his forklift to hep me flip it then ill be cutting off the slipper springs and mounting the independent setup i bought
ive got a heap of angle iron and bracing to strenthen it up as the box trailer is only sub framed in 25x25x1.6mm. im also going replace the drawbar and lengthen it as its a bit short atm

I also knocked together a new work bench as you can never have enough bench space

thast it for now, should hopefully have it all together next week
fracturedranga

Re: fractured rangas build, camper trailer mods

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 19 Mar 2016 4:42 +0000

Nice work mate.
TOYZX

Postby Jeffro2012SR5 on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 12:51 +0000

Hey mate love your work but in regards to welding the stainless nuts to the carbon steel, you will get corrosion there due to the dissimilar metals. Also stainless fasteners tend to bind up and you will need to angle grid off with a cut off wheel just some food for thought but it's coming up a treat. Can't wait to see it finished
Jeffro2012SR5

fractured rangas build, camper trailer mods

Postby gold member on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 7:45 +0000

You certainly keep yourself busy! Liking the camper trailer build, if your lux build is anything to go by this trailer is going to be epic! ..... Great work mate
gold member

Postby Jacko9 on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 8:32 +0000

Jeffro2012SR5 wrote:Hey mate love your work but in regards to welding the stainless nuts to the carbon steel, you will get corrosion there due to the dissimilar metals. Also stainless fasteners tend to bind up and you will need to angle grid off with a cut off wheel just some food for thought but it's coming up a treat. Can't wait to see it finished

Was just about to mention this.

You certainly keep yourself busy mate and haven't let your current circumstances stop you from doing anything, kudos to you. I've had a great time reading your thread.

Cheers.
Jacko9

Postby fracturedranga on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 3:11 +0000

cheers guys, i primed between the stainless nuts and steel with a weld through primer i got from my panel beater mate, if they start to rust ill cut them off and replace them. i use heaps of never seize so they shouldnt bind to badly.

made some decent progress today, i cut off the old springs, mounts and drawbar, and welded in some bracing
welding in the 4mm angle was easier than i expected, just cranked up the tig and flowed it into the 1.6mm box of the trailer
i then clamped the new suspension in to mock it up and check it all lined up

tommorrow ill weld in the hinge bar and shock mounts then start knocking together the new drawbar :D
fracturedranga

Postby fracturedranga on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 3:12 +0000

oh and i also got featured in loaded 4x4 :D
http://www.loaded4x4.com.au/4827/shauns ... om-tourer/
fracturedranga

Postby snakesoup on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 3:51 +0000

hi ranga! some nice work your doing there mate, can I ask why you would use a tig for this type of welding as opposed to a mig or a stick, a lot slower and fiddly with the tig? welds look good though penetration ok? just never seen tig used in this application before is all, watching this thread closely mate ;-)
snakesoup

Postby fracturedranga on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 4:00 +0000

snakesoup wrote:hi ranga! some nice work your doing there mate, can I ask why you would use a tig for this type of welding as opposed to a mig or a stick, a lot slower and fiddly with the tig? welds look good though penetration ok? just never seen tig used in this application before is all, watching this thread closely mate ;-)

im using the tig cos its what ive got :D i bought it in townsville because my mate had a mig and we would swap if we needed the other one, now im in dalby so its tig or nothing although a mig would be alot quicker. I also find tig welding different sized steel (ie 4mm to 1.6mm) easier than stick welding. Im pretty slow at getting anything done so the time it takes to TIG up makes no difference and the penetration seems good so far.
It also looks better and requires a whole lot less flapper discing :lol:
fracturedranga

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups