Rod's Rig - Round 2

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Rod's new Rig

Postby Quinny34 on Mon, 11 May 2009 8:41 +0000

Will try and find this paint a mate of mine uses on his hot rod... its basically bullet proof and would wear much better than powder coat... But powder coating is still a good option... In fact, the guy that done my tray still has some left over but the frieght would be the killer Id imagine...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Mon, 11 May 2009 9:22 +0000

Quinny23 wrote:Will try and find this paint a mate of mine uses on his hot rod... its basically bullet proof and would wear much better than powder coat... But powder coating is still a good option... In fact, the guy that done my tray still has some left over but the frieght would be the killer Id imagine...

Thanks Jeff,

Are you saying your tray is powder coated?

If you can get the name of the paint, I can chase it up with my auto paint shop up here. I've got the gear to paint them no worries but I have never used 2 part paints. Brooksy reckons the secret of powder coating this stuff is to use a low oven temperature so it does not end up being brittle and chip off. I can get them powder coated for under $100 which seems pretty well priced.
rodw

Postby Quinny34 on Mon, 11 May 2009 11:18 +0000

Yep.. tray is powder coated... already has scratches but I tend to use my ute for what it was designed for...

I'll get this paint name tomorrow when Robs back at work.. its not real expensive so should work out similar..

Not a bad idea with teh powder coat though... make it a little more rubbery to stop it chippping... Like any sort of defense device though.. it'll need a touch up in a few years simply due to wear and tear so either path is most likely not a perminant solution...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 11 May 2009 7:25 +0000

Rod.
If you do get them powdercoated make sure they use the DuPont powder. Its much better than the cheap chinese rubbish. May cost a little more but worth it. Also mate make sure they put an etch primer coat underneath this seals the steel and if you do scratch it down to the metal the rust will not travel underneath the powdercoat and eventually flake off.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby tgibbo on Mon, 11 May 2009 8:01 +0000

rod i feel your pain with that sill damage i had a masiv dint in that same spot only just got it fixed last week as it had started to rust, i slid of a very loose rocky track into a stump, was going a bit to quick being a smart arse
tgibbo

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 12 May 2009 6:58 +0000

here's a link to that paint...

http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/

make sure you read the page on it... its not just a rust proofer...

I've seen a lump of steel painted with this that was hit with an oxy and heated up.... left what I'd describe as a scratch with no blister effect... was pretty impressive. The guy that recommended it to me is a car nut... his nickname here at the office (and most of us a car nuts compared to regular folk) is the "oracle"...

Thought I'd at least put the option up here because this type of paint would seem better suited to the task at hand... Even if you overcoat with powder as skog suggested...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Tue, 12 May 2009 7:57 +0000

Quinny23 wrote:here's a link to that paint...
http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/

Thanks Jeff. Looks like it is available in australia from http://www.ppc.au.com/ who have a good listing of resellers.

While googling to find an Australian outlet, I also found this product who hold them out as a competitor to POR-15.
http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/

Anyway, both products are distributed by Qld Paint Supplies at Salisbury which is on the way home for me. It looks like you still need to apply a top coat either way as sliders will be exposed to UV light, so I'll drop in one afternoon and see which way they recommend to go.
rodw

Postby rodw on Thu, 14 May 2009 8:47 +0000

Well, faced the music with the NRMA assessor today about the dinted sill. He reckons that tub will have to come off. Good luck, I did not think at the time to tell how much wiring was under there, canopy light, fridge, diff breathers, reversing camera, wireless internet...

Thought I'd post up these pics of the sliders that Brooksy is making up for me (and a few others). I went out on Monday afternoon and we got this far, just tacked together. Not a full slider yet but it won't be long now. tried it for fit, still missing the outside rail, but it fitted perfectly.

Rear and centre mounts, you can see the mount slid up beside the fuel tank without trimming the tank guard. It is only 8mm thick so should not be a problem with long range tanks.

Front Mount. You can see the holes in the mount for the 12mm bolts that go over the top of the chassis rail to clamp the sliders on in this pic.

The rail sits 12mm below the chassis rail and while it is a bit lower than Brooksy would like, that's as high as we can get it. As it is, because the sills dip down at the front and the rear, the ends are up against the seams. I am happy to bend this front seam out of the way if I have to as once the outside rail is welded on, it will be well hidden.

And this pic shows why you should buy Brooksy's sliders!

You can see in the last pic that the last mount at the rear is a long way forward of the rear end of the slider because of the fuel tank being in the road. On the Dual Cab, we will have to unplug a white plastic clip that holds some fuel tank sender wiring, but that will be easy to cable tie up.

Because of this, Brooksy is concerned that the slider could bend so he will insert another tube into the rail from the rear through to the middle mount you to make sure it won't bend. He'll drill a few 10mm holes every 200 mm or so alternating 90 degrees to each other into the tubes on the inside and bottom out of sight so he can weld the inside tube into place. He will grind these off so once it is painted, you won't see a thing but there will be 5.2mm of Competititon grade CAMS spec DOM tube protecting my rear sills from then on.

I also had some discussions with Brooksy about another use for the front slider mount to hold a transfer case protector guard that will extend back from the TJM tranny guard which finishes on the cross member right back to behind the Transfer case. Bit too early to say much more about this, but it might need a plate to be welded onto one of the slider mounts. Anyway, I might know a bit more about this idea on Sunday when I go back for a trial fitting. This will pretty well complete the armour on my truck withth exception of a rear cut away bar that I might get when Brooksy has the time. He reckons he has a few orders for this. But he's got a few of these sliders to build before it gets on his agenda, so I'll be patient.
rodw

Postby rodw on Thu, 04 Jun 2009 7:14 +0000

Well, just an update. I picked my rig up today from the panel beaterand he has fixed the sill perfectly as well as the flare on that side and the rear mudflap. He used a wider mudflap than the stock SR one on th eother side and it looks so much nicer. I did not make an issue of it as it looked so much nicer and fits a lot better than the SR one on my bigger tyres, so I think I will be ordering one for the other side to match it and tidy up the truck. Been meaning to do something about this for a while so now I am forced into it..

Tomorrow afternoon I will be picking up the sliders Brooksy has made for me from the powder coaters. Spoke to him today and they have been undercoated. All going well I will get them fitted over the weekend. Not sure if Brooksy will have my bling infills done by the weekend, but the sliders will be on anyway. Hoping to get out there Saturday afternoon and catch up with Twisty while I am out there.
rodw

Postby lowlux on Thu, 04 Jun 2009 7:26 +0000

looking good so far soon u wont need tyres just get around on them sliders!
cheers lowlux
lowlux

Postby rodw on Sun, 07 Jun 2009 4:50 +0000

Well, guys another minor project I have to blame Mmaaxx for! You see, he emailed me a link to some shows runnning on a Victorian community channel where the guy basically just showed some videos taken out the windscreen as he drove along. I thought this was a good idea becasue these days when I get away I am usually driving on my own and never get any pics. of where I go.

Anyway, I asked Daniel who runs our multimedia centre to give me the good oil on camcorders. He told me to buy the cheapest SD card video recorder I could find as with no mechanical tape or HDD to fail, they would be more reliable and when they became obsolete next month I was not burning too much cash when I threw it in the bin. He also said that If I was just burning DVD's, there was no point spending up big on a full HD camcorder, just go with a standard definiton one. Well anyway I had a bit of a look around and after looking at some from Sony and Panasonic, this is what I ended up with:

So the camcorder, I paid a princely $337 for from Big W (Dick Smith is also selling them at $338). It came with 2 batteries which toehter give about 3 hrs running each. I had an 8 GB SD card lying around and it goves me about 3 hrs 17 minutes of video.

The little stand is a suction mount from http://www.racerecall.com/home.html and cost me Bout $66. I tought about buying a cheapy off eBay from Hong Kong for about $30 landed, but decided to go with local stock.

Anyway, this is where I put it:

And I can turn it round to point at the driver like this:

RaceRecall have tested the mount at 300 km/hr mounted outside the vehicle maybe like this:

So anyway, this is all pretty boring but in Friday, I picked up my sliders from the powder coaters and took them back to Brooksy to sort out the infills right after I picked up the suction mount from the post office so I decided to give it a test and I stuck some stuf up on YouTube to bore you all with and here are some links:

This is the first video on the way out which might be pretty boring:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snWjXKNBseg

And this one is further down the road when I was getting better at the editing and it includes a description of my car PC with the camera pointing at the screen. This video was was cut short as I got to Brooksy's place.

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnPVKBCKdOs

Finally, the third video picks up the journey after I leave Brooksy to go home and continues the description of the Car PC and demonstrates the Sat Nav.

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yaiKoIEsM0

So if you are really bored and want to meet me and put a name to a face, you could check out these videos. A word of warining though, the video numbered 2. was the last one I edited and is more concise than the others.

Enjoy!
rodw

Postby Alby on Sun, 07 Jun 2009 7:37 +0000

Rod that is pretty cool, the picture quality is very good. I look forward to some footage when you are out in the bush.

I can see a funniest home video opportunity coming 8-)
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Quinny34 on Mon, 08 Jun 2009 11:15 +0000

Thats awesome Rod.... very schmick indeed!!!!
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Mon, 08 Jun 2009 3:26 +0000

Alby wrote:Rod that is pretty cool, the picture quality is very good. I look forward to some footage when you are out in the bush.

Thanks Alby, I am kinda glad that I didn't have this the last time I went out and dented my sill, because it would have recorded my stupidity. It would however, have been fantastic footage though and have given you the opportunity to laugh at my expense as per Funniest Home Videos! :lol: :lol:

And yes, the next outing will be recorded from go to woe so hopefully, it will be more interesting to watch than these samples.
Quinny23 wrote:Thats awesome Rod.... very schmick indeed!!!!

Thanks Quinny, It will be interesting to see how it goes. bought a good video camera 20 years ago and paid over $2k for it and it died after a few years afterwards when the B&W CRT display in the eyepiece died. Wasn't very happy and got the Sh#yts with it and went back to a film camera for good I thought.

I might add that uploading to YouTube at High Resoution is pretty slow even with a good cable connection. It took all night through until about 10:00 am to upoad those 3 videos.
rodw

Postby Anth D on Mon, 08 Jun 2009 4:34 +0000

Mate thats tops!
Anth D

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 09 Jun 2009 1:53 +0000

Your rigs becoming more and more high tech :ugeek:

That camera would be awesome offroad, as long as branches dont rip it off.....tell ya what, I wish I had one of them mounted facing the back seat when I was 21......I could have put some "interesting" videos onto youtube...... :roll:

:twisted: :mrgreen:

BWAHAHA HA HA
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Alby on Tue, 09 Jun 2009 2:01 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Your rigs becoming more and more high tech :ugeek:

That camera would be awesome offroad, as long as branches dont rip it off.....tell ya what, I wish I had one of them mounted facing the back seat when I was 21......I could have put some "interesting" videos onto youtube...... :roll:

BWAHAHA HA HA

Max would that have been a 3 minute video?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 09 Jun 2009 2:05 +0000

Alby wrote:Max would that have been a 3 minute video?

Yeah but boy, what a great 3 minutes it would have been....hahaha LMAO :lol:

can you upload more than 3 minutes to the internet? :lol:

These days my floppy disc cant "upload" as much as it used to.....might have to upgrade to a memory "stick"....hahahaha :mrgreen:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Tue, 09 Jun 2009 7:51 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Your rigs becoming more and more high tech :ugeek:

BWAHAHA HA HA

Just noticed your red Toyota Horny devil but aside from what Alby has said I can't add much more comment, other than to say he is more generous with the stop watch than you deserve! :lol:
rodw

Postby rodw on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 5:01 +0000

Well to keep Max happy thought I'd better get way from electronics and show you guys some pictures of my new sliders which Brooksy has made and are are finally finished!

Nothing pretentious from a distance:

but when you get closer, you can see I decided to go with some added bling and opted for Broksy's top of the line sliders with stainless steel infills:

So panel by panel from the front to the back:

You can see by the last pic that my sill has been repaired and should never get dinted again!
rodw

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups