6th gen Comp truck... tube started

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Sixth Gen Comp Truck

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 8:36 +0000

Thats what I like to hear.......

I bet ya tha mogs never make it under the truck.....you'll get the truck finished, then sell the mog diffs to pay for more bit on the truck that already running rather than pull it off the road again.... :lol: :lol:

I like that pic above.....saw it on Pirate aswell.......

cant wait to see it done and how your gonna mount up all the live axle bits to the current gen chassis.....

So whens the work start?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Boof on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 9:51 +0000

I have to navi for Ben at Tough Tracks this weekend so all going to plan next Monday night after work. Will get the cab mounted and the front diff sitting under then start looking into fitting the 1uz and where to chop the chassis behind the cab for the rear links. Hoping the beef rear crossmember Dan made me is wide enough to fit the new chassis.

Once the engine is in then the work on the cage and rear will start. Have also decided to gut the niceties of the interior while still keeping it looking like a full cab. No point keeping extra wiring that isnt needed as it will only cause dramas. So I will need to make some custom wiring to still utilise the wiper and light, indicator controls on the steering column.

Have some ideas for the dash cluster also :twisted: :twisted:

Tourer/Daily Driver - 120 V6 Prado with some mods and some bling.
Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 9:55 +0000

I agree with the gutting...make it a go car not a show car...that was your last lux, this one should be a offroad weapon.......remember, heaps of pics of the progress :mrgreen:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Bull on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 5:21 +0000

So it's going to work out quicker & cheaper to buy, rebuild, beef-up and fit 'Cruiser diffs than fit the 'Mog diffs you already own?

You know you're going to be dissapointed. Especially at TT where portals rule.
Bull

Postby Boof on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 6:42 +0000

Bull wrote:So it's going to work out quicker & cheaper to buy, rebuild, beef-up and fit 'Cruiser diffs than fit the 'Mog diffs you already own?

You know you're going to be dissapointed. Especially at TT where portals rule.

Yeh it will the actual diffs will work out slightly more expensive but it is the stuff that needs to be done with the mogs that makes it dearer. For example

60 diffs front and rear cost - Free
Air lockers - $2000
Diff Gears - $500
Longfields - $1200

I already have the TG kit the hi steer and all the other items for the front except the drive shaft. So cost $3700 plus all the other items I need for both builds, fuel cells etc.

Mogs cost - Paid for so I guess free :mrgreen:
Cable locker to air conversion - $100
Pinion conversion - $200
Disc brake conversion - $2000
Hydro steering equipment - $3000+
Controls for rear steer - ?
Link suspension front end in place of the TG kit - $3000

As you can see it doesnt take long to add up, to get all that together takes time and then there is always the little items that add up as well. Wiring, switches, brake lines, fuel lines, fuel pumps, harnesses etc etc

This way I can get it built and start competing and using it. This will also allow me to see what works and what doesnt first hand instead of relying on the advice of others. The mogs will be in the shed and I can spend the next 18mths acquiring the items needed to put them under the rig if I decide to go that way.

To be honest even with Mogs I wouldnt be competitive at Tuff truck as I have never driven a vehicle with all the gear this one would have had. So to build it and then go compete with very little seat time which would have happened even with TT11 wouldnt really be advantageous.

This way I will have 2-3 mths seat time before TT10 if I get in and then 12 mths further experience in it to decide what I need to build to suit my driving style and the comps I want to enter. I dont expect to be competitive at TT either way there are a lot of very experienced competitors in the event and it will take me some time to get my ability to be on that level.

Boof

Postby Bull on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:28 +0000

Fair enough Boof. Sounds like a plan. What's this TG? Is it Trail Gear?
Bull

Postby Boof on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:11 +0000

Sorry mate yeh Trail Gear sold through the guys at Locktup 4x4 who have really looked after me in the past.

Also hope my post didnt come across as a shot at you? was just outlining the things that helped me make the decision. 8-)

Boof

Postby Bull on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:19 +0000

Not at all.

It's always smarter to build the stuff you can realistically finish. How many super duper projects never get finished?
Up until now I've always built stuff slowly, one thing at a time and you really see the benefits.
Just don't look at my Hilux build thread or you'll get depressed.....
Bull

Postby Boof on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:19 +0000

Ok quick update the offset rear pumpkin has been worrying me about the 60 so I have had to go looking for a rear centered output that is a similiar width, gear ratio and most importantly strength.

Now anyone who knows me will know how hard this is for to do BUT it looks like I will be running a H260 rear diff. Now I know its from a Nissssssss geez I cant even type it :mrgreen: but they are a strong diff although I believe the Yota diffs can be built stronger and the damn things are rock anchors so it will need to be shaved. BUT the cost is very inviting as $0 so at this stage I am thinking I will run the H260 and possibly make a Hybrid 60 centre/Lux axle rear diff down the track if it gives me dramas :twisted:

I will also know this afternoon if I have sourced an air locker for the front 60 for $400 :mrgreen: Another reason I love Yota gear its so damn easy to find cheap 2nd hand gear for them.

Boof

Postby Boof on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:11 +0000

Well starting this weekend I am going to cut up the chassis I have and move the cab mounts around so that it suits the new cab. With the wreckers wanting $1100-$1200 dollars for a chassis I cant see the point especially given it will only be cut up anyway :roll:

I have picked up the 60 series diff pieces I need and have to pick up the H260 and sort out the disc brake conversion for it. So at this stage the plan for the weekend is to completely strip out the 06 cab and get it mounted on the chassis. Then I can look at where the engine is going to need to sit and from there work out what to do with the front diff. My main concern is that the draglink when in the 98 was going to be fouled by the sump. I am hoping I can get the diff far enough forward to fix this or I may have to bite the bullet and modify the sump :x

The change to the new diffs will also mean the rims I had planned are no longer suitable as I will require more offset. So I have spoken to Ryano about a set of 17" F rims with 2" backspacing. Anyway here is a few pics.

My steering wheel on (this was a gift from my kids a few years ago so had to be used 8-) )

The new diff

A bit bigger than the old Lux centre

Boof

Postby rodw on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:08 +0000

Ya really ought to wipe your feet before you step in your new truck Boof. ;) It is really going to be an awesome build up though particularly after you armorall the dash....

Seriously though mate, looking forward to seeing it unfold and come together. It will be a talking point to have a New Hilux on the Comp scene.
rodw

Postby Boof on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:13 +0000

:lol: :lol: Cheers Rod, I have to find a tacho and some other guages to replace the factory ones in there yet 8-) As for the dash itll be clean before each trip :lol: :lol:

Boof

Postby Boof on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 9:13 +0000

Anyone who knows me wont be surprised by this post :mrgreen:

I have changed plans again :lol:

I got a deal I couldnt pass up so I have purchased a rolling 80 series chassis, the wheelbase is 112" which is pretty good for what I want so I will leave it as is. Given the 80 has a small 8" front diff I have gone away from the 40s. I have purchased some F rims with 3" backspacing and some 37" Comp spec Trepadores. These were bought 2nd hand from a mate who is going to 40s

I have ordered longfields for the front diff and have sourced 2nd hand air lockers for the rear and front diffs. The Chassis is being picked up this Friday and we are fitting the cab this weekend, I have already stripped out the cab ready for fit. I also have doors and a front guard for setting up the length and chassis mods, so it is finally starting even if the end result is a little different from my original plan. There will be pics up next week, and as of this weekend it will start to move along pretty quickly. I have placed a fair few orders for gear so most of what we need should be here within the next 4 weeks.

Plan at this stage is cab this week driveline next week, barwork starting the week after. I am pretty excited at this point in time :twisted:

Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 9:24 +0000

How are you going to mount the 6th gen cab onto the 80 chassis?

You'd think mounting points would be different or are you just going to ram a bolt with some big washers through the body and mountit onto the factory holes? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Boof on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:11 +0000

Will just make the mounts where they are needed in the overall scheme mounting the cab once measurements are worked out is one of the easiest tasks ahead for this thing :ugeek:

Also the doors have a couple of little dents in them so instead of $1000 a door I have been getting quoted I got them for $250 each 8-) 8-)

Boof

Postby Quinny34 on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:39 +0000

I am in awe!!!! When the kids move out and stop using my tools, and if I ever get a shed big enough... I'd love to do this.... even if it takes years to complete...

Way to go Boof! :D
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby pootrol on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 5:20 +0000

i love the new look luxes. and having serious under pinings would make it the ultimate.
See my face book page at. Custom canopies.
pootrol

Postby Boof on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 5:43 +0000

Cheers guys we dropped the chassis off at the shed tonight, ready for the weekend, went all out and fitted some splitties and while getting it off the trailer the fully sick flex had the rear coil pop out :lol: :lol: :lol:

All going well we will drop the cab over tomorrow night ready for a start Saturday morning 8-)

Boof

Postby hiluxdan on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 6:23 +0000

Unreal build up Boof, no point doing things by halves, looking forward to seeing the end product.
hiluxdan

Postby Boof on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:12 +0000

Every comp rig needs a tow rig so the wife has agreed that when the Lux is done I can build mine 8-)
I have the 40 I just need another 80 chassis 1uz etc its going to be pretty bling and will go well with the Lux heres a photoshop of what I am striving for with the tow rig :twisted:

Now back to the Lux build 8-)

Boof

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups