Twistys 09 Dually (SOLD) - Now FJ Cruiser - 35" MTZs fitted

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Twistys 09 Dually SR Lux

Postby Twisty on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:40 +0000

Cheers for all the comments fellas....I'll go out and flex it up and get some clearance pics later this arve, but for now, heres some pics of it after a wash. It needs flares bad, they are about 2 weeks away from being painted, so doesn't have to drive around like this for too long.

Twisty

Postby Boof on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:19 +0000

Love it, it looks so cool 8-)

Tourer/Daily Driver - 120 V6 Prado with some mods and some bling.
Boof

Postby Twisty on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 2:15 +0000

Boof wrote:Love it, it looks so cool 8-)

When are we bodylifting the prado in prep for your chome rims, hehe 8-)

Couple of clearance shots for Max....these were taken with it flexed up and a rear wheel was off the ground each time. Wasn't getting much up travel but as the front coils are rated for more weight that whats currently there. Should give you an idea but.

Tyre clearance to the bodymount, isn't hitting, but looks like it will with a big enough bump. I'll leave it for now and see how it goes once their is a little more weight on the front end.

Tyre clearance to std. front bumper and inner plastic guard. Ryano worked his magic with this. Inner guard and that small std. mudflap have moved been moved forward about 1" and remounted. A tiny slither on the bottom edge of the bumper was also removed.

Twisty

Postby Boof on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 2:46 +0000

Hehehe the Playdo wont be getting bodylifted, the new rims will be going on though and to keep up with your bling Ill fit a supercharger instead of the extra lift 8-) :lol: :twisted:

Tourer/Daily Driver - 120 V6 Prado with some mods and some bling.
Boof

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 3:55 +0000

Twisty, thanks for those pics...yeah the bull bar will bring it down slightly....I stil reckon you should trim that mount, otherwise you will unexpectandly tear a lug off those new tyres.....

guarantee you the flares wont fully cover those tyres....

my tyres are 12 inches wide and the flares just cover the tread, the sidewall sticks out....you got a 9 inch rim instead of my 8 inch and your offset is 12 mm further out.....may need to add an extra rubber lip to the flare like Drew has done.

yeah the front inner guard liner was remounted and bottom corner of my front bumper cut off too before i had a bar fitted to make it work......

have ya had an alignment done yet?

it should have settled abit over the weekend, when you get it done request as much castor as possible within factory specs, may be "just" enough moving the tyre forward to miss that mount.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby matske on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 3:59 +0000

wow hooo hugeeeee
matske

Postby Twisty on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 4:26 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:have ya had an alignment done yet?

it should have settled abit over the weekend, when you get it done request as much castor as possible within factory specs, may be "just" enough moving the tyre forward to miss that mount.

Yep, Ryano set all the wheel alignment up to maximise clearance, and still drive good......all worked sweet.
Twisty

Postby dute on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 4:35 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Twisty, thanks for those pics...yeah the bull bar will bring it down slightly....I stil reckon you should trim that mount, otherwise you will unexpectandly tear a lug off those new tyres......

Mmaaxx will be home with a tent pole in his pants after seeing this . . . . .

nice work Twisty. . . .looks great. . . . :D
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Dluxv6 on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 4:38 +0000

Twisty another V6 lover
Lucky u bought the V6
TD would have trouble turning those ;) ;) ;) ;)

nIce truck looks better than when sen at scenic rim adv park
Drew
'If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking.......
how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time
Dluxv6
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rockman on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 4:50 +0000

It must be awesome to have the ability to work with some-one that acuallty know's his shit . :mrgreen:

I'm sick of dealing with idiots that you dont know .......but thats all that you to deal with , cost you a fortune , backup service crap and dont even act like they give a shit .

Very nice

Cheers
"Naked man walking through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok."
rockman

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 4:57 +0000

Dluxv6 wrote:Twisty another V6 lover
Lucky u bought the V6
TD would have trouble turning those ;) ;) ;) ;)

nIce truck looks better than when sen at scenic rim adv park
Drew

i got no problem turning mine with TD, and steel wheels weigh more........

yes dute, im pitchin a tent.....not a real fan of bling but it does look nice.......

maybe one day ;)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 5:01 +0000

Yep - ryano is the man 8-)

Looks great twisty
jop

Postby Quinny34 on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 6:27 +0000

Nice job Twisty and co... looks mean and tall... It's now crying out for some form of side steps or sliders etc... those tyre will be flicking all kinds of shit up the side, trust me.. :D

You may need an extra rubber flare to keep the boys in blue happy, but with flares and side steps it'll keep the majourity of crap of the side windows when in the slop that you can get away with it...

Very nice job Twisty... ENVIOUS :evil:
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby KTM525EXC on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 8:21 +0000

WOW!!!!! what a set up, the bling looks fully sic!!!!! makes me want bigger rubber now lol :D
good work. Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby 10K on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:43 +0000

Twisty,

Well done Mate... really nice looking truck.
Great rims and tyres... mdeium bling factor. Classy :lol:

Really trick, right up my alley.

I really like the colour... might make me think twice before I buy another black one!

The stance is spot on... stuanch as! I'll bet it rides a treat with the medium lift and bodylift, center of gravity a lot lower than mine, so it won't pitch as much when cornering.

The 17's are a good option, not too much baloon on the tyres, but still enough to air down etc.

Should be one of the nicest Hilux's around when it's done... good luck with the rest of the build!

If your interested I might have a strong lead on some arctic style flares, just not as big! Probably about 50-60mm wider than SR5 flares
Will cover your tyre combo and look pretty sexy... Only drawback is they are fibreglass. Had no luck in sourcing any in plastic for over 3 years.... the quest continues!

Cheers
Matt

Postby Twisty on Tue, 08 Sep 2009 8:11 +0000

Thanks again for all the comments.....I still cant get the smile off my face, find myself walking out to the garage for a look way too often.

rockman wrote:It must be awesome to have the ability to work with some-one that acuallty know's his shit . :mrgreen:
I'm sick of dealing with idiots that you dont know .......but thats all that you to deal with , cost you a fortune , backup service crap and dont even act like they give a shit . Very nice Cheers

Cheers Rockman, it has worked out better then I expected so far, and yeah Ryano would be the man to see for susp/wheels/tyres. I didn't even mention trimming the inner guards etc, but as soon as the suspension was done up he was doing mods to the inner gaurds and bumper (without even test fitting the rims/tyres). After a wheel alignment the new rubber went on and all cleared first time round.

Quinny23 wrote:Nice job Twisty and co... looks mean and tall... It's now crying out for some form of side steps or sliders etc... those tyre will be flicking all kinds of shit up the side, trust me.. :D

Cheers Quinny!

You may need an extra rubber flare to keep the boys in blue happy, but with flares and side steps it'll keep the majourity of crap of the side windows when in the slop that you can get away with it...

Very nice job Twisty... ENVIOUS :evil:

Not real keen on the flare on flare look, so will just let the tyres hang out a bit...most of my trucks have been this way, so doens't worry me too much. Will start trying to convice the missus we need sliders asap now we have no front mudflaps....I'm sure a few more stone chips and I'll have her convinced.

10K wrote:Twisty,

Well done Mate... really nice looking truck.
Great rims and tyres... mdeium bling factor. Classy :lol:

Really trick, right up my alley.

I really like the colour... might make me think twice before I buy another black one!

The stance is spot on... stuanch as! I'll bet it rides a treat with the medium lift and bodylift, center of gravity a lot lower than mine, so it won't pitch as much when cornering.

The 17's are a good option, not too much baloon on the tyres, but still enough to air down etc.

Should be one of the nicest Hilux's around when it's done... good luck with the rest of the build!

If your interested I might have a strong lead on some arctic style flares, just not as big! Probably about 50-60mm wider than SR5 flares
Will cover your tyre combo and look pretty sexy... Only drawback is they are fibreglass. Had no luck in sourcing any in plastic for over 3 years.... the quest continues!

Cheers
Matt

Thanks Matt, yours was definetley one of my inspirations for the build! I originally wanted to go 18s, but adds just that bit extra too much $$$. Am more than happy with the 17s/33 combo but, as you said, gives enough sidewall to still let them down a fair bit if needed.

Artic flares, sounds perfect! Fibreglass doesn't worry me too much. Let me know whats the go with them.

Are they similar to these ones?
Twisty

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 08 Sep 2009 8:25 +0000

I'd be interested in those also to be honest... I could use a bit of extra width in the flares as Im no fan of the flare on flare look either, nor the fact I cant see out the sides after a bit of mud is sprayed around... :D
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dute on Tue, 08 Sep 2009 9:19 +0000

Mmmmm wider flares I like the sound of that ;) ;) ;) ;)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Ryano on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 8:42 +0000

Go the Arctic Flares!
Even though it looks amazing and the extra width really sets it off, I still reckon you should have gone the 285/70R17. ;) :lol:
We've done a fair few of the new Hiluxes now with suspension, wheels and tyres and this one is definately the stand out. Sort of takes a bit for me to stand and look at a vehicle for a couple of hours grinning.
So.... when can I buy it, park it and pull it apart? :oops:
Ryano

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 8:52 +0000

Sorry, bit off topic....Ryano, have you experimented or tried any brand of wheel in a 15x8 that will fit over the calipers yet still have a usuable offset to run on the Hilux?

the factory rims in 15x7 clear the caliper as we all know, and CSA make a 15x7 that clears the caliper but no one makes a 15x8 with say atleast a +10 to a -12 offset that clears the calipers?

any more offset than that and you defeat the purpose of trying to make the tyre fit......it would hang too far out.

Just wondering.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups