Is gearing contributing to dreaded piston problem

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Is gearing contributing to dreaded piston problem

Postby gulfcountry on Sun, 04 Jun 2023 5:15 +0000

This is based solely on my curiosity and I never see it mentioned in any of the relevent posts .
Is it possible that a major factor contributing to the piston failures is that the gearing in the transmission and final drive is too tall and is constantly placing the engine in a load condition which is constant on the engine .
My hilux does seem too tall in its gearing even from take off in first gear . Other 4 cylinder diesel vehicles are noticeably lower geared to intitiate the vehicle momentum .
In a sense if the gearing is too tall then its like driving up hill endlessley , placing a constant additional load on engine internals . Its just a thought and maybe others might be able to add to or expand on this .
gulfcountry

Re: Is gearing contributing to dreaded piston problem

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 05 Jun 2023 5:07 +0000

Everything that puts load on the engine, from internal losses to drive train components to incline grade contribute to the eventual destruction or even just wear & tear on an engine. Getting the balance just right is the "Gold Ring" for manufacturers.
Therefore, dependant on which vehicle you are discussing, your answer might be both yes & no. :) :) :)
Rob_Wood

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 06 Jun 2023 6:37 +0000

Load is a factor as we've seen in the caravan world but its not the whole story. Incorrect injection due to ecu tunes, worn injectors through contamination or normal wear is the main factor. The is the same with other makes.

The pistons have changed a bit at least in the 1kd engines, which has caused some higher incidences of failure.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby kickinback on Tue, 20 Jun 2023 6:51 +0000

Flogged injectors are the main culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kickinback

Return to Engines