Abnormal Resonance + Vibration at Low Revs (Gen 8, 2021 SR)

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Abnormal Resonance + Vibration at Low Revs (Gen 8, 2021 SR)

Postby gee_rad on Fri, 17 Sep 2021 3:58 +0000

Hello All,

I have recently joined the Hilux club, purchasing a 2021 SR Extra Cab Chassis model, manufactured in May 2021 and delivered June 2021 in Sydney. I have a MITS Alloy 2100mm Tray and 1800mm Canopy on the back.

The vehicle is presenting some strange engine resonance and vibration issues when sitting within approximately 750-950 RPM. This is also coincidentally where the engine comes to idle when the A.C compressor is engaged, increasing from approximately 600RPM during regular idle. I first noticed this at around 250km's and first thought it was an A.C issue but then realised the resonance is apparent at all times when passing through that Rev range.

The vibration when stationary with A.C on causes some amount of discomfort, vibrating the seats and dash (like a multi-tool) and furthermore I am concerned for the health of the engine.

I have informed the dealer and had them look at it twice now, they have cited the abnormal vibration and tried to point out the large aftermarket tray could be the cause, I do not believe this so, nor has MITS Alloy ever encountered such a issue created from their product. Following this I've got the usual 'monitor until next service and let us know if it gets worse' spiel.

I've checked a couple other peoples vehicles of similar build and manufacture dates and the resonance is not apparent.

Wondering if anyone on here is or has experienced a similar issue?

Thanks in advance!
gee_rad

Re: Abnormal Resonance + Vibration at Low Revs (Gen 8, 2021

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 18 Sep 2021 6:10 +0000

Dealer issue, get them to drive yours and then another similar one in the dealership, that should highlight the difference
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Stirling on Mon, 07 Nov 2022 10:25 +0000

Hi
I own a 2021 Hilux SR5 twin cab, October build. My car has exactly the same vibration as you have described in your post. It is particularly noticeable at approximately 850rpm idling with the air conditioner on. If the air conditioning is turned off, it is noticeable when coasting up to an intersection and the engine revs are in the 750-850 rpm rev band (having said that, if the air conditioning is turned off while driving, the air conditioning idle up is present for some time after switching the air conditioning off). I too have been to two different dealerships trying to get the issue addressed under new vehicle warranty, both dealers' response was that the level of vibration in my car is normal for my model\year, I know this to be the biggest load of crap I've ever been fed, as my place of work has a new SR Trayback with no noticeable vibration though the cab/seat/console/dashboard etc. I've also lodged a complaint with Toyota guest experience, those clowns only back the dealer's response, so that is pretty much as waste of time. I'm in the process of filing a complaint with fair trading NSW, to try and get some action on this issue. To say I'm pissed off, is the understatement of the century
Stirling

Postby raili on Fri, 27 Jan 2023 2:12 +0000

...mine does the same, idling with low revs is ok, but when I speed up (and the higher RPM when the AC is engaged is enough) my steering wheel and my pedals are vibrating, the more when the engine is working under high load. Yesterday I took a look and the only thing I noticed was that the rear engine mount (transmission mount) is somehow bent. It looks like the crossmember where the mount sits on is too far rearward but I have to compare it to other vehicles without vibrations to be sure.....
Cheers, Raimund
Hilux MY 21 2,8D AT
raili

Return to General Discussion