Stedi roof light bar

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Stedi roof light bar

Postby krayzie on Sat, 19 Aug 2017 3:21 +0000

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about how I can install my 42inch bar in my rhino rack tracks?

The stedi bar comes with Deutsch connectors which are great to remove the bar off the roof when not in use

But I can't for the life of me think how I can route the cables to the engine bay?

Any ideas would be much appreciated
krayzie

Re: Stedi roof light bar

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 19 Aug 2017 5:06 +0000

Grt the drill and silicone out!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby krayzie on Sat, 19 Aug 2017 5:20 +0000

I mostim guessinggni should have the connector in the rain and not in the roof lining?

krayzie

Postby flyingdoctor on Sat, 19 Aug 2017 7:12 +0000

Just guide the wires to the back of the cabin, down there and tied to the frame in the motorbay.
And, hopefully, you put a fuse next to the battery.
Dont put a switch in the powerline, better use a ralais for switching on/off.
flyingdoctor

Postby sharp018 on Sun, 20 Aug 2017 6:15 +0000

Pretty simple

Frist make sure you have the bits you need

5 pin relay
Enough cable to wire it all up
A switch
And a inline fuse
Open ring Gromet

I ran mine off my 2nd battery into the firewall Gromet passenger side I ran it down into passenger kick panels through out to the rear of cab

By the way my lux is a dual cab*

Anyway there's a Gromet at the back of the cab on the side small proberly 15mm gromet. Push it out and put in the open ring Gromet then put your wires through it.

Should of told you this earlier but this method is only neat if you have a head board on your tub or tray.

I then cable tied the wires up the passenger side of the headboard to the then from the headboard to the roof rack

And the rest is pretty self explanatory

* As for Relay *
Numbers on relay 87,87,85, 30, 86

86 goes to battery positive + RED Cable
85 is to be bridged to 30 on relay just tap into wire and solider
30 goes to your switch ( PUT Inline Fuse 10amp)

87 is your high beam wire from your H4 plug, you'll need to strip and solider a wire from your high beam wire to your relay

( Someone correct me if I'm wrong ) but because our cars are negitive switched you have to do this in order for your high beam to be able to trigger when there turned on to give power to your switch to be able to turn on your led bar

This is done because of ADR regulations
Plus easier to turn the led bar by switching high beam stalk back other then having to find the switch by then 2 late on coming driver is pissed off
sharp018

Postby Rieflux1 on Sun, 20 Aug 2017 1:47 +0000

krayzie wrote:Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about how I can install my 42inch bar in my rhino rack tracks?

The stedi bar comes with Deutsch connectors which are great to remove the bar off the roof when not in use

But I can't for the life of me think how I can route the cables to the engine bay?

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Hi mate, i used the standard stainless side brackets that came with the bar(i have exact same bar as yours) and bent them slightly to suit the bevel of the roof track, then i cut a 4mm thick piece of aluminium to fit into the rhino track-the same concept they use to mount your roof-racks leg- from memory i made it 50mm long,22mm wide and tapped a hole in the centre to the same size as the bolt thread provided by stedi, which you will need to cut down to stop them from bottoming out on the roof.i also cut a 2mm thick piece of rubber to place between the side bracket base and the roof track to stop scratching and to act as a non slip.

Worked perfectly and its so solid i reckon i could use it for a tie down point, also when i do carry a load the light bar is under the plane of the roof bars when i carry timber. Light bar has about 10mm clearance underneath at its tightest point from bar to the roof. No wind noise. Minimal glare off bonnet, hardly notice it.

I have a canopy so i ran the cable down the inside of the rhino track, between the canopy and the back of the cab then on top of chassis rail to engine bay, beefed up the cable too.

Stoked with the bar too, hope this helps mate.
Rieflux1

Postby krayzie on Sun, 20 Aug 2017 9:06 +0000

thanks guys i really appreciate the level of detail shared. i have got the relay and switch wiring harness sorted

how did you go about hiding the Deutsche connector in the rail?

im not sure if i should cut the connector and re-solder in the roof - any thoughts?
krayzie

Postby krayzie on Mon, 21 Aug 2017 1:58 +0000

Did a bit if digging on their site.

STEDI will not be responsible for damage or failure of any component due to misuse, abuse, acts of nature, accidents, collisions, collisions with flying debris, incorrect installation, alteration or modification of any type. We will also not be responsible for any damage to the light or vehicle incurred while negligently operating the lights with the covers affixed. This warranty does not cover any possible bodily injury and/or property damage incurred during installation or use of STEDI Lights nor does it cover any labor costs of any type.

This warranty is void if the goods (the lights) are disassembled by the customer (buyer).

looks like if i cut the cable.... warranty void
krayzie

Postby Rieflux1 on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 1:40 +0000

krayzie wrote:thanks guys i really appreciate the level of detail shared. i have got the relay and switch wiring harness sorted

how did you go about hiding the Deutsche connector in the rail?

im not sure if i should cut the connector and re-solder in the roof - any thoughts?

I cable tied the connector to the underside of of my roof bar with the excess cable semi hidden in the void behind the roof rack leg. My lightbar is only 70mm in front of the roof rack bar so it isn't very noticeable at all. Looks quite tidy and I'm pretty fussy haha.
Rieflux1

Return to General Discussion