Boss Compressor Wire Up

Boss Compressor Wire Up

Postby FAIL on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 6:18 +0000

Hey all,

I had a search and couldn't find anything, I have just bought a Boss PX07 compressor and was pondering a few things with the wiring diagram (attached below)

I will be mounting a tank under my tub and it says to run the pressure switch positive to an ignition power source so it's not running constantly otherwise I would have to put an inline switch on it also, could I not run that straight off of the same power source as the compressor it's self? If not is there an ignition power source in the tub handy or will I have to run this back to the engine bay/cab?

Also I'm going to have it switched from the cab so I will run the 70amp relay as per instructions but in the small writing down the bottom it says to use a 70amp fuse, is this in addition to the relay or is it more of a relay or fuse?

Thanks heaps for your help.

FAIL

Re: Boss Compressor Wire Up

Postby aandy on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 8:02 +0000

I think there is an error in the diagram, where it says "red + wire to battery via 70 amp RELAY", I think it is meant to say "red + wire to battery via 70 amp FUSE"
They already have a 70 amp relay on the negative - wire.

If you mount everything ready to go, it wouldn't cost much to get an auto electrician to wire that up for you. ;)
aandy

Postby FAIL on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 8:29 +0000

That's right it has the solenoid on the negative wire, wouldn't I still need a 70amp relay on the positive side as that's what I'm switching from?
FAIL

Postby martynvella on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 8:30 +0000

Agree with aandy, but do yourself a favour and use a circuit breaker, they are more robust than fuse holders and if it pops you just have to reset it, not try to remember where your spare fuse is and that's if it didn't melt the fuse holder as well.

Would pay to use an ign or acc supply to supply your switch in the cab just so it cant be activated by kids if your keys are not in the ignition. Put your switch in the supply to the pressure switch.
martynvella

Postby Supremacy on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 10:18 +0000

I fitted a ViAir compressor to my Hilux. Wired it different to the Boss diagram. Have a look at this one. Slightly easier. I grounded my pressure switch at the tank and ran a 12v from accessories to the pressure switch and relay via a switch inside the cabin.

http://www.viaircorp.com/images/schematics/singlec_wd.pdf
Supremacy

Postby FAIL on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 10:31 +0000

Thanks for the replies guys. In the viair diagram it has the pressure switch having both positive and negative correct as it goes through 86/85 to ground where as the boss one has it like a pass through with just the positive.

Yeah agree with the you martynvella with the circuit breaker, I have used that on my 12v system it's so much easier and neater than using inline fuses.
FAIL

Postby FAIL on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:23 +0000

I actually just found this video by them which simplifies it a lot! I think I was making it harder than it needed to be haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvJosF ... n-V8zYodkA
FAIL

Return to Electrical