Guide: Fitting Uniden CB radio

Postby andyroo54 on Sat, 07 Dec 2013 8:11 +0000

I thought I would do a quick guide showing how I installed my radio. There are a few little bits of info on here and I think people have showed their installs too.

I wanted a radio that would fit nice and also have all controls on the handpiece. The radio I ended up getting was this one:

Uniden UH7760NB

User guide:
http://www.uniden.com.au/RESOURCES_MAIN ... 0NB_OM.pdf

I got mine from this seller, because they had good rep and have sold lots of them:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190809565861 ... 1497.l2649

One of the reasons I liked this radio is the size of the main unit. It's tiny and it fits perfectly into the spot taken up by the ash tray. Since I don't smoke anymore an ashtray is a total waste of space in a dash that doesn't have a lot of room.

I also like it because all of the controls are on the hand piece too. This makes using it just a bit easier. Also if I had to install it somewhere else I can still easily use all functions.

You can use any antenna and coax cable you like. I got the following:

Antenna Features:

27MHz CB Antenna Helical Whip
55cm Pretuned
Top Loaded
Antenna Cable Kit Features:

Base: Standard Australian Mobile Mounting
27mhz - VHF
Stud: Rugged 5/16" diameter x 26PTI
Mounting: 16mm Hole required
Cable: 3.65m x 52-OHM Quality RG58A/U
Conductor: 19/0.203mm Bare Copper
Shield: 112/0.12mm Bare Copper
Connector: PL-259 Twist On

Basically just a coax cable and an antenna with a mount.

The first thing I did was run the antenna. The best spot to run it for me was through the grommet behind the glove box:

As you can see stock there should be two extra "grommet" nipple type bits of rubber sticking out each side of the main loom. My one on the left was still free so I cut the end off and fed the coax through. I had to desolder the mount off the end so I could get it through. I suggest getting some thin guage wire and taping it to the coax to pull it through. A little bit of vasoline might help, just go slow, you don't want to damage the Loom next to it.

No idea why there are so many bugs piled up at the back of the firewall. Same on other side of the engine bay too. Weird.

The cable will come out up behind the glove box. You shouldn't have to remove anything to get to it, it's just a bit awkward sticking your head in the passenger foot well.

I ran my coax along the other wires in the engine bay towards the left front headlight. From there I stuck it underneath the grille. My ARB bullbar has mounts for antennas but you may need to drill.

I did eventually use zip ties to tie down the coax along the same route as the other cables, however you should only do this once you are sure you have enough slack either end. I bundled up the extra slack in the cabin and stuffed it behind the glove box.

Right. Now time to take apart the dash. Honestly the hilux is probably the easiest/best car to work on I've ever had.

Turn all three AC controls to the left as far as they will go, then just pull them off. There is only one screw behind the middle knob which is holding this section on. Undo it and then you can just pull the middle section of the dash off.

(Note radio is already installed, I forgot to take a pic as I was taking it apart, so had to take one once it was done.)

I didn't get a good picture of it but when you take the middle part off, there are two connectors. One of the AC button and one for the hazard lights. Disconnect these and the whole section will come away.

Behind the cover is the climate control section. There are two white clips either side, just use a screwdriver to depress them and it will come out. I left everything connected, there is enough slack just to move it to the side to get the job done.

Probably the most annoying part of this job is the ashtray. The ashtray is easy to pull out. But it has a mount which holds it in. The radio is too big to fit with the mount in the way. There are two screws hidden behind the dash which hold the mount in. I found if I stuck a screwdriver in, I could angle it and managed to undo both screws. You can also pull the dash up, it is just sitting in with clips.

I had to lift the bottom section of the dash up to get the ashtray mount out. It was a bit of a pain.

I used double hook velco to stick the radio to the console. It's solid and I can replace the ash tray if I sell the ute and want to keep the radio.

Connect the coax and run your power. How you run the power is up to you. But this particular model requires that you hook positive to positive battery, and negative to negative battery, you can't just ground it. I would suggest running power to your battery with the coax cable. You can even tape the power leads to the coax cable when you pull it through the grommet.

I was lucky because the previous owner had a light switch in the drivers side panel that doesn't do anything. I traced it's wires, it runs back to the tub into the right side tail light. I think it must of been hooked upto some lights or something at the back. I ran my power down the drivers side, remove the panel over the fuse box right under the steering wheel.

I just spliced straight into the battery power. It's great because now I know where the wires were run, I can add a light inside my canopy with a cabin switch! But that's for another day..

I strip the ends then twist them, then solder them, then tape them up. Because it runs straight off the battery, this means the ute can be turned off and I can still use the radio.

There is plenty of room for the radio with the ash tray removed:

Now all you need to do is mount the hand piece. Again totally up to you where to mount it. I put mine on the passenger side, it's still close enough I can reach it ok, but it's not in my way. There is also plenty of room for the passenger too.

So that's pretty much it. Like I said the most annoying part was the ashtray screws. I put it on scan, found a few guys chatting and politely asked for a radio check. All good! I'm happy with the radio, it's loud and easy to use.

This is a pretty simple job that will save you a bit of $$ if you do it yourself. More fuel money to go 4 wheeling :D
Last edited by andyroo54 on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 6:49 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
andyroo54

Re: Guide: Fitting Uniden CB radio

Postby Skog07 on Sat, 07 Dec 2013 8:24 +0000

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your how to guide andyroo. I've got to do a bit of housekeeping soon and will hyperlink it into some of our sticky thread indexs.
Cheers Skog
Skog07

Postby wholehog on Sun, 08 Dec 2013 5:00 +0000

I have had/used at least 15 different radios and this is the worst i have ever had...i hate it....
Perhaps it the harsh environment of the 4x4 where it is used but its crap.
However,i mounted mine up under the glovebox,and the mike cord runs behind the dash and exits where the mike holder is
wholehog

Postby qldminer on Sun, 08 Dec 2013 6:17 +0000

I did similar whole dog, I mounted it in my glovebox and ran the cables through the back, didn't want to mangle my dash.

Why is it the worst uve owned.?
qldminer

Postby andyroo54 on Sun, 08 Dec 2013 6:46 +0000

qldminer wrote:

I'm curious to know why too? I've only used a few but I really like it so far.
andyroo54

Postby wholehog on Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:01 +0000

andyroo54 wrote:
qldminer wrote:

The sound quality out of the hand piece is crap,so u really have to use an extension speaker,going from simples to duplex is a pain in the butt,should really only be a single button making it easy to switch between the two,and after about 2 years,it seems like its ready to give up the ghost,turns off when it wants to(not a power connection issue)..... the light in the hand piece is still on but i am unable to transmit or receive....
For the money ,id really expect a little more of a robust unit.Cheers
wholehog

Postby andyroo54 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 9:41 +0000

wholehog wrote:
andyroo54 wrote:
qldminer wrote:

The sound quality out of the hand piece is crap,so u really have to use an extension speaker,going from simples to duplex is a pain in the butt,should really only be a single button making it easy to switch between the two,and after about 2 years,it seems like its ready to give up the ghost,turns off when it wants to(not a power connection issue)..... the light in the hand piece is still on but i am unable to transmit or receive....
For the money ,id really expect a little more of a robust unit.Cheers

Sound for mine is perfect, crystal clear. Maybe it gets worse over time with use? I will post back here if it gets worse. Sounds like you might have a defective unit, maybe an early manufacturing problem.

If I have any problems with it I will let everyone know back here.
andyroo54

Postby MLTZER on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:09 +0000

I'm looking at getting the same unit.

I'm curious as to why you didn't decide to put it behind the dash and drill a hole in one if the switch plates for the cable
MLTZER

Postby Krat on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 1:04 +0000

Great write up andyroo54.
I went for the easy option in the centre console and cig lighter plug for easy removal. :D

I hate Photobucket :lol:
Last edited by Krat on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 1:15 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Krat

Postby andyroo54 on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 6:43 +0000

MLTZER wrote:I'm looking at getting the same unit.

I'm curious as to why you didn't decide to put it behind the dash and drill a hole in one if the switch plates for the cable

It has a speaker built into the unit. The sounds would have been a little muffled, although probably still fine. I thought the ash tray was a good spot considering the ashtray is otherwise useless for me, plus I can always put it back in if I sell it.
andyroo54

Postby MLTZER on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 3:02 +0000

I thought the speaker was in the mic.

Edit: I just looked on the uniden website and there seems to be 2 speakers. One in the unit and another in the mic
MLTZER

Postby andyroo54 on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 5:22 +0000

MLTZER wrote:I thought the speaker was in the mic.

Edit: I just looked on the uniden website and there seems to be 2 speakers. One in the unit and another in the mic

Yeah it does, but most of the sound seems to come from the unit itself. There must be a way to change it, I'll have to check the guide.
andyroo54

Postby ira11y on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 3:00 +0000

I looked at the Uniden but ended up getting the Oricom 300 Micro, the features were better. Both have average range but the Oricom I found a little easier to get to the things like squelch and channel as the unit can be flipped upside down to make the knob closer to the driver for control.

I run the antenna up on the roll bar, its a fold down unit so I can get in to the car parks in the city for work easily and has both a 6 and 9dB antenna, being so high up makes it pick up a lot better than mounting on the bull bar.

Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one
ira11y

Postby qldminer on Sun, 15 Dec 2013 4:13 +0000

This is how I fitted mine

Last edited by qldminer on Mon, 23 Dec 2013 1:39 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
qldminer

Postby MLTZER on Sun, 15 Dec 2013 4:19 +0000

ira11y wrote:I looked at the Uniden but ended up getting the Oricom 300 Micro, the features were better. Both have average range but the Oricom I found a little easier to get to the things like squelch and channel as the unit can be flipped upside down to make the knob closer to the driver for control.

I run the antenna up on the roll bar, its a fold down unit so I can get in to the car parks in the city for work easily and has both a 6 and 9dB antenna, being so high up makes it pick up a lot better than mounting on the bull bar.

What's the details of the fold down antenna?
MLTZER

Postby oneton on Sun, 22 Dec 2013 8:21 +0000

When wiring in the power for the UHF, does anyone know of an easier way to tap into the main fuse board using unused circuits?
There seems to be a lot of terminals not being used but don't know which have what power.
oneton

Postby Krat on Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:56 +0000

I just added a cig plug connector to my UHF and plugged it straight into the cig lighter socket.
It then works on accessories but turns off when you remove the key. No flat battery this way. :D :D :D
Takes about 10 mins to solder the plug on, with no worries about getting the right wires in the dash. Makes it easy to unplug and swap b/n vehicles as well.

Kev.
Krat

Postby shane_vor on Mon, 23 Dec 2013 1:23 +0000

I have two radios to fit into my 13 Hilux. A Kenwood TS480 and an Icom IC208H. Today I did some serious thinking and a tentative pull-down of the dash with a view to working out where to fit the control heads of both radios. MOTHER-OF-GOD! are there no flat surfaces on the interior of these bloody trucks? Though I thought seriously about putting the Icom in the ashtray, removal of the ash tray was just too much trouble and I had to still make up a bracket to secure it. The Kenwood? Well it looked like it would fit nicely, thankyou very much in the sunglass holder up on the roof. trouble is there was no way to secure it up there and the control cable enters the unit at one of the sides...
So, I put the interior back together and decided the HF can go into the glovebox. The little Icom is small enough to attach to the right side of the steering wheel under the air vent with that double sided tape used to attach badges to cars, it's a pretty light unit. The mics on both radios are remote things so they will be plugged into the bucket in the centre console where they will live.

Now for the actual radios! They are going behind the rear seat on a custom board carpeted and attached (hopefully) to existing bolt holes, if there are any. Or else the Minister is going to be well cross at me for throwing the drill at the new truck! :lol:
shane_vor

Postby zxdean on Sat, 28 Dec 2013 9:38 +0000

I put mine behind the glove box a bit higher up and ran the ext cable to a spare switch slot and connected the remote handset from there, the same as 'qldminer' post above.
zxdean

Postby andyroo54 on Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:46 +0000

zxdean wrote:I put mine behind the glove box a bit higher up and ran the ext cable to a spare switch slot and connected the remote handset from there, the same as 'qldminer' post above.

Yeah this seems like another good way to do it, especially if your CB has all controls on the handset.
andyroo54

Next

Return to Electrical