AM1 Fuse keeps blowing?

AM1 Fuse keeps blowing?

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 02 Feb 2023 10:29 +0000

I've searched the forum without success and am stuck at home with the AM1 fuse blowing as soon as I try to start the car.
I've looked under the bonnet and pulled the dash apart, there is no obvious signs of something burned or cooked.
I'm at a loss to find exactly what the "AM1" fuse actually feeds. Once blown I end up with no dash lights, the whole system just goes dead. Until I can find an answer I am stuck at home (in the bush). 20Km walk to town to get parts from Supercheap. I've taken pics of the fuse box (for whatever use that might be), but can't figure out how to post them here.
Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or even answers would be hugely appreciated.
Rob_Wood

Re: AM1 Fuse keeps blowing?

Postby bob14hilux on Thu, 02 Feb 2023 12:23 +0000

Sorry if this is not much help

I just did a quick google search for AM1 fuse and found this link.

The explanation seems a bit generic and not hilux specific, but may explain it a bit.

Looks like it is pretty much connected to almost everything

https://mechanicask.com/what-is-am1-fuse/

In general, the AM1 fuse is the bridge that connects your car’s electrical systems and all accessories to the power source. When you start your vehicle, the ECU needs to calibrate sensors to know if all systems are running normally.

The ECU needs power from the battery to do that, which has to pass through the AM1 fuse. Without that initialization, the engine won’t start. It is the reason your car acts dead when this fuse is blown out.
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

Re: AM1 Fuse keeps blowing?

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 02 Feb 2023 1:26 +0000

Thanks Bob, much appreciated. We found it though. The Starter Motor I did a short while back had left the Solenoid feed lead rubbing on the block. Moved it away, a neighbour was going to town and picked up some replacement fuses. All good now. Thanks Again.
Rob_Wood

Return to Electrical