Head cracked - block warp

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Head cracked - block warp

Postby Shaunybob on Sun, 02 Oct 2022 4:23 +0000

Hi. Hope someone can help. I have my 5L-E 2002 167R Hilux and cracked the head. I want to put a new head on it but I have found that I have a .076 gap under my straight edge in the middle between the cylinders. This gap is the same in three locations all at the where the circle of cylinder is closest to the neighbouring cylinder. The gap tapers off as you move away from the middle point.
So my question is ‘is this gap of 3 thousands of an inch (.076) too big for me to consider a new head’. Note I live remote in the Kimberley and no chance to get anything machined.
Thanks so much
Shaunybob

Re: Head cracked - block warp

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 12:15 +0000

Being in the Kimberly I'd have thought one of the mining operations would be able to help you out with machining? I had similar problems with a block back in the eighties. In Darwin at the time, got the block shaved, put on a head with a 5 thou shim and it went strong until I traded it in Sydney a few years later.
Dunno if there's anything to it, but I also heard of a bloke using double head gaskets to get out of trouble and it (apparently) lasted heaps longer than expected.

Just be careful, I'm told no one listens to what I say; including my daughter. I'm hurt.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 5:36 +0000

Rob, daughters never listen to us old folks ;) as to the block, machining the block is the best method but maybe the double gasket trick is an alternative, especially if the head also needs to be machined. A rebuild engine would be the best alternative, or at least a short engine replacement. 3thou isn't a big warp but make sure there are no cracks in the bores or you're wasting your time and money. Maybe it's my old age but isn't.076 mm nearly 3thou? Are we talking in mm or inches?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 5:55 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Rob, daughters never listen to us old folks ;) as to the block, machining the block is the best method but maybe the double gasket trick is an alternative, especially if the head also needs to be machined. A rebuild engine would be the best alternative, or at least a short engine replacement. 3thou isn't a big warp but make sure there are no cracks in the bores or you're wasting your time and money. Maybe it's my old age but isn't.076 mm nearly 3thou? Are we talking in mm or inches?

I think he's offering us metric AND imperial to get the more informed responses from a broader audience. Only guessing on this of course, but hay.
As for the various options available, I agree that if he's was to ship in a replacement engine, of whatever variant (short block, long block or even complete replacement engine) would certainly be the easiest option with no machining capabilities locally.
If choosing the latter option, I'd be at least trying to get a turbo model if possible. Better pulling capacity up hills.
Rob_Wood

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 7:08 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Rob, daughters never listen to us old folks ;)

It's not just my daughter.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 7:58 +0000

Rob, certainly not just your daughter... The next gen know it all so why listen to the dinosaurs :lol:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 10:08 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Rob, certainly not just your daughter... The next gen know it all so why listen to the dinosaurs :lol:

Gipsy wrote:That's ok Rob, nobody reads your posts anyway :lol: ;)
BTW this is a doubled up thread.

Maybe I'm just doing it tough at home, but it stung. Yeah, all the knockers can sprout the soft c**k lines, but it did cut deep.

It'll take a couple of days, but I'll get over it.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 12:17 +0000

Rob, don't be hurt, nobody listens to me either... It's just the new world order :shock: ;)
I've seen it many times... Newbies post a problem and after all the help they aren't seen again... No thanks or follow up. It seems they think this is all just an algorithm and we are just a database.
Just think how many of the 'brains-trust' are no longer here on newhilux. I could run off a long list of many who don't bother here as a result of attitude and abuse at least as long as I've been here.
Gipsy

Postby Shaunybob on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 1:24 +0000

[quote="Gipsy"]Rob, don't be hurt, nobody listens to me either... It's just the new world order :shock: ;)
I've seen it many times... Newbies post a problem and after all the help they aren't seen again... No thanks or follow up. It seems they think this is all just an algorithm and we are just a database.
Just think how many of the 'brains-trust' are no longer here on newhilux. I could run off a long list of many who don't bother here as a result of attitude and abuse at least as long as I've been here.[/

Thanks for the comments. Appreciate it. I am going to purchase a new head and give it a go. I don’t have the cash for a whole motor. I am thinking I will be on the edge of the tolerable range. Overall the block appears to be in good condition. I have just read that block warp for 5L-E can be up to 4 thousands of an inch. Waiting for cylinder head people in Perth to give me a call back. Thank you
Shaunybob

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 1:53 +0000

No problem, you are welcome. Hope all goes well. Please let us know how you go.
Gipsy

Postby Shaunybob on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 4:09 +0000

Thanks. I will report here how I go with the new head and those clearances.
Shaunybob

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 4:32 +0000

Shaunybob wrote:Thanks. I will report here how I go with the new head and those clearances.

Good to hear you're on track with a reasonable plan. Hope it all goes well. Apologies for my whine, it's been a really bad week for me here. I guess I just needed to vent a little. Sorry about that.
As Gipsy said, please let us know how you go.
Rob_Wood

Postby Shaunybob on Mon, 03 Oct 2022 9:28 +0000

No problem at all. Hope the rest of the week turns out better for you. I will let you know how I go.
Shaunybob

Postby Shaunybob on Sat, 05 Nov 2022 2:33 +0000

Hi Rob. I finally did it. Got a new head shipped to Broome. Used the thickest head gasket. I am not much of a mechanic so has taken me forever (sometimes looking for a bolt for half a day that I dropped in the motor that would end up in a spot that you couldn’t get it into if you tried). Much relief and joy turning it over just now. Hope you are well. Shaun
Shaunybob

Postby Shaunybob on Sat, 05 Nov 2022 2:43 +0000

Hi Gypsy. So I finally achieved it. The clearances don’t appear to be an issue with head to block. Thanks for information. I probably worked on it for a total of about 15 days. Insane I know and not sure if I would attempt it again. Spent $2200. $1500 head $500 radiator plus bits. Great outcome
Shaunybob

Return to Engines