2013 sr5. Injector rattle when cold whilst idling ?? Normal?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

2013 sr5. Injector rattle when cold whilst idling ?? Normal?

Postby Mclovin1991 on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 7:58 +0000

Hi all first post here.
I have a 2013 sr5 with 106000kms. Manual. Well.cared for pride and joy. Full stock standard.
serviced every 6k. I'm from Sydney . For the past month since it's been getting colder
I've noticed once I start it at any time of the day from cold. After 2 mins of idling
It sounds like a injector rattle sounding noise / rattle whilst idling on and off intermittent sounds then go away whilst warming up on the driver side sounds around near the cat converter area.
well aware of the infamous common noisy injectors in winter time which mine does make whilst driving but never heard of injector rattle whilst idling.
I want to get opinions or anyone that would know why it would making that sort of rattle noise noise on idle ???
Is this a common noise ? Once at full temp the noise is gone ..
Last edited by Mclovin1991 on Sat, 18 Jun 2022 8:10 +0000, edited 4 times in total.
Mclovin1991

Re: 2013 sr5. Ticking noise.106000kms .

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 8:11 +0000

Mclovin1991 wrote:Hi all first post here.
I have a 2013 sr5 with 106000kms. Manual. Well.cared for pride and joy. Full stock standard.
serviced every 6k. I'm from Sydney . For the past month since it's been getting colder
I've noticed once I start it at any time of the day from cold. After 2 mins of idling
It sounds like a lifter sounding noise / rattle whilst idling on and off whilst warming up on the driver side
around where the back of front wheel is I don't hear it in the engine bay whilst the bonnet is open ???
well aware of the infamous common noisy injectors in winter time which mine does make but
I want to get opinions or anyone that would know why it would making that sort of tick noise noise on idle ???
Is this a common noise ? Once at full temp the noise is gone ..

You say you don't hear it from the engine bay ... I take this to mean you hear it when sitting in the drivers seat? but not when you're out of the vehicle? If this is the case then the question is 2 fold ... Which side is your aerial on? AND is your aerial an electric up & down one? See where I'm going here? look for things you might not ordinarily think of and work your way down the list.
Rob_Wood

Re: 2013 sr5. Ticking noise.106000kms .

Postby Mclovin1991 on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 8:25 +0000

Hi Rob sorry mate I should of explained a little better.
The sounds is definitely a ticking / rattle sound almost like the injector rattle but intermittent. Comes on and off . when I rev it it's disappears the noise happens only when it's idling 2 mins after starting the car from cold Until warm and if I was drive it it would do it whilst slowing down to a stop almost idle speed In first gear whilst cold.. I can hear it inside the vehicle and also outside the vehicle. Once I lift the bonnet up I cannot pinpoint where the noise is because there's alot of noises going on. It's more noticeable once the bonnet is down. The noise is definitely near the driver side tyre/ wheel.
Mclovin1991

Re: 2013 sr5. Tick tick noise when cold whilst idling.

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 14 Jun 2022 6:17 +0000

Hey mate, welcome to the forum.

As you note, injector noise is normal for cold weather. Could be a bit of contamination and wear from some fuel that has brought on the tick now. Could also be a fan belt pulley.

My advice is to get someone experienced with techstream to have a quick look at your injector feedback values. There is a whole thread on the topic here.

Also, next time you change the oil, have a look at the oil pickup. If its clean, you dont have much to worry about. Search the forum to find out more.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Mclovin1991 on Tue, 14 Jun 2022 7:03 +0000

Hi mate I just serviced it threw Toyota 2 weeks ago assuming the noise would go away once the oil was changed because it almost sounds like a lifter tick that comes and goes whilst warming up. My question is does a Toyota dealership check the pick up when they change the oil ?
Mclovin1991

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 15 Jun 2022 2:22 +0000

Mclovin1991 wrote:My question is does a Toyota dealership check the pick up when they change the oil ?

No way of knowing without actually watching them work. It all boils down to how much you trust the people doing your work. If you have a "Good Mate" who happens to be a mechanic, then just have a chat and see what he / she says.
Rob_Wood

Postby Mclovin1991 on Wed, 15 Jun 2022 12:47 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:
Mclovin1991 wrote:My question is does a Toyota dealership check the pick up when they change the oil ?

No way of knowing without actually watching them work. It all boils down to how much you trust the people doing your work. If you have a "Good Mate" who happens to be a mechanic, then just have a chat and see what he / she says.

Ok mate I'm probably overthinking it. It's serviced every 5k. Religiously. It's a grocery getter not a workhorse. Has been well kept. The noise does go away once it gets up to temp. It's probably just a winter thing. Temps in the morning are about 4 degrees.
Mclovin1991

Return to Engines