tsk tsk noise since changing timing belt (video)

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

tsk tsk noise since changing timing belt (video)

Postby lowchop on Wed, 16 Feb 2022 4:23 +0000

Hilux 5L 2000 Model, ~280kms

TLDR: Alternator came loose, changed timing belt, adjusted valve shims, still have this tsk tsk noise, videos for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=313v_cb ... UmbvihD6c3

I made a couple videos of it, its quite clear in some, have a look at the whole playlist.

Full story:
I went on a long drive (about 3.5h) about half stopped and when I started again, it just barely started. Realizing the battery wasn't charging, I didn't stop again till I got home. After that I bought a new alternator assuming the current one was dead and timing belt since it needed to be done at the same time.

When I pulled it apart I found the bolt that holds the alternator in place was loose, and assume there was nothing actually wrong with it other than being loose. I still put the new one in and the new timing belt. I also replaced the tappet cover gasket since it had been leaking for a couple of years (also checking the valve clearances which were about .1 out of spec on the inlets).

After this I noticed it was making a lot of noise (heard in the videos) and pulled it apart again thinking I must've stuffed up the timing belt, but it was all in alignment. When I put it back together the sound was gone for a little while. I took it for another long drive and it was back again.

So thinking it must be the tappets being out of spec, I did the shims in all of them, so they are all in spec. This hasn't changed anything. I'm now really at a loss as to what it could be. It sort of sounds like the sound is around the air conditioning compressor, but doesn't change with turning it on or off.

There also seems to be a bit of a violent metal noise when hitting the accelerator, listening to it over the engine.

I googled it a bit, and some people suggested it was a clutch issue but I got underneath and I'm pretty confident its not coming from there.

Anyway Im at a real loss, but the noise doesn't seem to be getting worse, but not sure if its the impending doom or not. Any help is much appreciated
lowchop

Re: tsk tsk noise since changing timing belt (video)

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:37 +0000

Sounded a bit like an exhaust leak at a couple of spot in your video. Is that the noise you mean?
Rob_Wood

Postby lowchop on Thu, 17 Feb 2022 5:18 +0000

That might be what it is, since it is coming from around that area and looks like one of the extractors is missing a bolt. I've never heard an exhaust leak before so not sure. I've just watched some videos and thats what it sounds like.
lowchop

Postby lowchop on Mon, 21 Feb 2022 2:38 +0000

Yep totally was an exhaust leak. Pulled it apart (every single bolt was loose, I haven't ever touched them in the 10 years I've owned it), found 3 of the 4 cylinders were leaking. Cleaned the surfaces, replaced the gasket, used some exhaust sealer gasket maker stuff on both sides and got new bolts and washers since the others looked pretty bad. Also put some locktite on the bolt threads as well to make sure this doesn't happen again. Unfortunately one of the bolts thread got a bit stuffed on the way out and I couldn't get a new one back in, so had to get a M10 Fine tap and fix up the thread, even then, only just got the bolt back in.

Ute sounds and feels completely different now, think its been leaking for years and I just had been attributing it to be a noisy old ute.

Thanks for the help much appreciated.
lowchop

Return to Engines