How restrictive is a safari snorkel on the V6?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

How restrictive is a safari snorkel on the V6?

Postby burna on Tue, 11 Jan 2022 8:33 +0000

Hi everyone, first post but have used this site for good info many times.

I have a late 2005 4.0 V6 and I am currently shopping for a snorkel. Safari are now doing the Armax snorkel which has a more straight-through design but have only developed it for the diesel unfortunately. The snorkel for the V6 is the V-spec and it looks restrictive to me with the tight bends in the inner guard duct.

Does anyone know whether the v-spec is actually restrictive to the airflow? Am I worrying about nothing?

Other options I'm considering is fitting a diesel airbox (possibly just use it as a pre-filter with a thin oiled foam filter rather than by-passing the OEM filter) or getting a stainless snorkel.

My concern with a stainless is noise. I'm well past my 20s and so don't want induction noise but perhaps it is only bad in the diesels bc of the turbo and wouldn't be so bad in the N/A V6??

Thanks
burna

Re: How restrictive is a safari snorkel on the V6?

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 11 Jan 2022 1:38 +0000

Not that I have a v6 but from what I read, unless you plan on taking your Hilux for a swim, the diesel airbox is what many decide as opposed to a snorkel. Also, I wouldn't use a oil-air filter, there's a whole host of reasons why not. Some v6 owners have gone to the TRD air intake system with a cai (cold air intake).

Check this thread

viewtopic.php?t=27016
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 11 Jan 2022 2:15 +0000

Gipsy is way more informed than I am, however, if you're stuck on a Staino' Snorkel, then I'd suggest you (or anybody else who's interested) check out the "Patriot Games" web site and follow the FJ45 rebuild. The young bloke is on a role with it and the snorkel looks really cool. If I had the coin it'd certainly be on my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45TZtmYrALo
This is the episode they do the lobsterbacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQILDOrESz4
The fun in starting a "drop-in" engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUSAyjkEgH4
First glimpse of the snorkel itself being made and fitted.
Rob_Wood

Postby hotmetal1000 on Tue, 11 Jan 2022 3:04 +0000

I have the Safari snorkel on my V6 Hilux. No complaints.
As for being restrictive, I think you worrying about nothing.
I do get a little bit of induction noise but really it's only noticeable with the window down and under heavy load and even then it's not loud like a S/Steel snorkel pointing backwards at your window.
hotmetal1000

Postby burna on Tue, 11 Jan 2022 5:22 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Not that I have a v6 but from what I read, unless you plan on taking your Hilux for a swim, the diesel airbox is what many decide as opposed to a snorkel. Also, I wouldn't use a oil-air filter, there's a whole host of reasons why not. Some v6 owners have gone to the TRD air intake system with a cai (cold air intake).

Yes, high country river crossings is the only reason for it. Why don't you recommend an oil type filter? I'm not interested in a CAI, only a raised air intake for water crossings but not wanting to lose performance.

Rob_Wood wrote:Gipsy is way more informed than I am, however, if you're stuck on a Staino' Snorkel,

Definitely not set on a stainless. There's pros n cons for both as I see it such as stainless being noisy but I don't know anyone with a stainless snorkel let alone one on a v6 so don't know exactly how noisy they are.

hotmetal1000 wrote:I have the Safari snorkel on my V6 Hilux. No complaints.
As for being restrictive, I think you worrying about nothing.
I do get a little bit of induction noise but really it's only noticeable with the window down and under heavy load and even then it's not loud like a S/Steel snorkel pointing backwards at your window.

Thanks, that's good info. Some follow up questions if you don't mind;
1. Did you fit the snorkel/have it fitted? (I mean direct comparison between pre-snorkel and post-snorkel)
2. Have you noticed an increase or decrease in how long the air filter lasts in especially in dusty conditions?
3. What did you do about sealing the intake air spinner one-way valve/dirt trap?

Thanks all for your answers so far.
burna

Postby dave g on Tue, 11 Jan 2022 7:16 +0000

Had safari snorkel on a v6 4runner no complaints
Don't use oil filters the oil will work its way onto the sensor and stuff things up
dave g

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 12 Jan 2022 1:26 +0000

burna wrote:
burna wrote:
2. Have you noticed an increase or decrease in how long the air filter lasts in especially in dusty conditions?

The snorkel was on mine when I got it, but yes it makes a HUGE difference in dusty conditions. I live on a dirt road and my air filter is blown out each 10 thou' and only replaced every 20 or 30 thou' (depending on how much rain and how it looks each service). In the (Land Rover) Cat9 Fire fighting vehicle we used to have a the fire shed (no snorkel) it needed to be blown out every 5 thou' and replaced every ten. We occasionally changed it to a replacement every 5 thou' in drier times.

For the last bit ... from my point of view ... No Worries, it's why we're here, to help out if we can.
Last edited by Rob_Wood on Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:54 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Rob_Wood

Postby burna on Wed, 12 Jan 2022 6:12 +0000

dave g wrote:Had safari snorkel on a v6 4runner no complaints
Don't use oil filters the oil will work its way onto the sensor and stuff things up

Thanks. Yea I know some MAF sensors can be sensitive to air filter oil, the idea I had was to use it as a pre-filter though. Like a snorkel sock except in an airbox, and from there it would go through the OEM v6 paper filter as normal. It'd have to be a fairly light filter though, a K&N or unifilter might be too restrictive if using in combination with the OEM.

I did something similar on my motorcycle years ago, it's had a K&N since I got it but with a forward facing air scoop the air box fills up with tons of sand n stuff in a few thousand kms even with city riding. I made something similar to a snorkel sock out of a chux super wipe, oiled with K&N oil and stuck on the inside of the air box on the air scoop. I left large holes in the corners in case it ever gets blocked. Now I just clean that, even though the chux has large holes in it, it is surprising how much it captures and the K&N is like new at service time. There was no noticeable effect on the bike.

Rob_Wood wrote:The snorkel was on mine when I got it, but yes it makes a HUGE difference in dusty conditions.

Thanks. Yours is the 3.4L 6th gen? I think they are a more straight through design from the snorkel to the airbox without the S-bend in the inner guard like the 7th gen. I really don't like that S-bend but as long as it keeps the water out, I guess I should just not think about it too hard!
burna

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:47 +0000

burna wrote:
Rob_Wood wrote:The snorkel was on mine when I got it, but yes it makes a HUGE difference in dusty conditions.

Thanks. Yours is the 3.4L 6th gen? I think they are a more straight through design from the snorkel to the airbox without the S-bend in the inner guard like the 7th gen. I really don't like that S-bend but as long as it keeps the water out, I guess I should just not think about it too hard!

Not up on "Gen" numbers, it's a 2004 3L diesel. Dunno whether it's got an "S" bend in the guard or not, never had it apart. Done one or 2 fresh water crossing over the years and never had a problem there either, but they weren't deep water crossings either so ... I was just trying to point out that having a snorkel is very different in dusty conditions to not having a snorkel ... based on my experiences.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 12 Jan 2022 11:58 +0000

Yes Rob yours is 6 gen ;) 6th Generation (1997―2004) sixth-generation Hilux that was introduced in September 1997 consisted of a business-use truck line and a personal-use sports pickup line.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 12 Jan 2022 1:24 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Yes Rob yours is 6 gen ;) 6th Generation (1997―2004) sixth-generation Hilux that was introduced in September 1997 consisted of a business-use truck line and a personal-use sports pickup line.

All part of the learning curve I know, but please don't be surprised if I'm asking the same thing again in future. :) :) :)
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 12 Jan 2022 1:27 +0000

:lol: :lol: learning curve normally leads to new knowledge :lol: ;)
Gipsy

Postby hotmetal1000 on Wed, 12 Jan 2022 3:47 +0000

burna wrote:
1. Did you fit the snorkel/have it fitted? (I mean direct comparison between pre-snorkel and post-snorkel)
3. What did you do about sealing the intake air spinner one-way valve/dirt trap?

I fitted the snorkel myself. As for comparison before and after, as in fuel economy? I had the horrible factory "T" in the exhaust where the crossover pipe joins in changed to a "Y" so that the exhaust would actually flow at pretty much the same time as the snorkel was fitted. Between the snorkel and exhaust pipe collector change I gained close to 2L/100km better fuel economy and a motor that was happier to rev when needed. So as for what the snorkel did itself I couldn't tell you.

I change my air filters as per the factory service schedule. No problem there but the Hilux mainly sees bitumen roads. I have done a trip up the Cape, another across the Simpson Desert and more recently a trip to the gulf country and still there was no unexpected build of dust etc at the air filter.

The water drain flap? I didn't seal it. If it's in good condition there is no need to. In water crossings the water pressure outside pushes the flap closed and should seal. More importantly when fitting the snorkel make sure that you have joints in the system sealed. From memory I used a smear of automotive black silicon on the joints during final assembly. I have driven through water that was over the bonnet and on the windscreen, no water entered the air intake system.
hotmetal1000

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 12 Jan 2022 4:58 +0000

Gipsy wrote::lol: :lol: learning curve normally leads to new knowledge :lol: ;)

Yeah, I got that bit, I just don't have the "Instant Recall" I once had.
Rob_Wood

Postby 1tuff4b on Thu, 13 Jan 2022 1:46 +0000

Had a v6 Prado with safari snorkle, k&n air filter, extractors and sports exhaust.
The exhaust definitely helps free the motors revs. Drives a lot more effortlessly. Never had dramas with the k&n filter, trick is not to over oil them. Snorkle was fitted prior to exhaust and air filter. Had no issues with any mods and currently in the process of doing the same to another v6 Prado. Average around 14l/100, currently around the 17l in current Prado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life Begins in Low Range"
1tuff4b

Postby burna on Thu, 13 Jan 2022 1:58 +0000

[quote="hotmetal1000"
I fitted the snorkel myself. As for comparison before and after, as in fuel economy? I had the horrible factory "T" in the exhaust where the crossover pipe joins in changed to a "Y" so that the exhaust would actually flow at pretty much the same time as the snorkel was fitted. Between the snorkel and exhaust pipe collector change I gained close to 2L/100km better fuel economy and a motor that was happier to rev when needed. So as for what the snorkel did itself I couldn't tell you.

I change my air filters as per the factory service schedule. No problem there but the Hilux mainly sees bitumen roads. I have done a trip up the Cape, another across the Simpson Desert and more recently a trip to the gulf country and still there was no unexpected build of dust etc at the air filter.

The water drain flap? I didn't seal it. If it's in good condition there is no need to. In water crossings the water pressure outside pushes the flap closed and should seal. More importantly when fitting the snorkel make sure that you have joints in the system sealed. From memory I used a smear of automotive black silicon on the joints during final assembly. I have driven through water that was over the bonnet and on the windscreen, no water entered the air intake system.[/quote]

Thanks. The water drain/dirt trap thingy is good at keeping the dirt in, not sure I'd trust to keep water out. But I'm not planning on being in water that deep anyway, it's only just in case I find a deep spot accidentally.
burna

Postby Myralga on Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:12 +0000

Just some info from what I have been told by safari reps over the years FYI

Safari have basically 2 ranges and a lot of vehicles don’t always get both
HF and HP
Used to be r spec also but they are basically discontinued these days although you may find old stock if you go hunting.
The big thing safari prides itself on is its flow testing of all snorkels that it releases to market.
Part of their RnD is they bench test the airflow of the factory box/Intake prior to mod and that maximum number sets the bar.
HF snorkels are there standard and must at a minimum meet or exceed that flow number. They will not compromise on flow rate and restrict your intake.
HP is the Performance range and safari will not release a HP snorkel unless it allows at least a minimum of a 30% increase in airflow.

To go off tangent a little that’s why from memory the Nissan Y62 only has a HF snorkel in the range. Even though it uses the HP larger snorkel head they could not get that 30% increase in flow through the box so it didn’t get the performance name. Even though it greatly increased flow it just didn’t get to 30%.

HF regularly get well above factory airflow just not the 30%
Also some HP snorkels get crazy high flow rates vs factory the 70 series V8 cruiser is a prime example with off memory around a 50% Increase in flow (but when you see the box mods you know why.)

So rest assured a properly fit HF is going to be just fine for you.

Myralga

Postby 241steve on Mon, 24 Jan 2022 3:23 +0000

Myralga do you work for Safari?
How many v6's have you driven with and with out a snorkel ?
I've never driven mine with out the snorkel so can't really comment.
241steve

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 24 Jan 2022 11:33 +0000

Have since confirmed there's no "S" bend in my guard. Not sure if it's of interest any more? Just saying.
Rob_Wood

Postby Myralga on Wed, 26 Jan 2022 8:53 +0000

241steve wrote:Myralga do you work for Safari?
How many v6's have you driven with and with out a snorkel ?
I've never driven mine with out the snorkel so can't really comment.
Hey Steve nope not a safari guru just a guy who has worked in the industry for about 7ish years now.
Installed and sold and fault diagnosed all that sort of thing.
As for specifically Hilux petrols they are few and far between so my memory with vs without would not be accurate. Super rare to install them too.
Plus you have to take into account a wide range of other things also. Like what’s on the car, driving style, tire size etc. very hard to compare apples with apples in this industry when mods can be so wildly different.

My only real knowledge would be based on my knowledge of the diesels as they come through all the time.
I have a 17 DC Manual with a HP on it and funnily enough I found it quieter than the bosses 15 DC Auto with a HF on it and I put that down purely to the auto not the snorkel and how the auto holds gears and revs a little harder.
I can’t say one way or another if the HP gave me a major boost as I also added bar work roof rack and canopy all within a week.
Safari do say the HP will give a minor boost to any vehicle but they really help when you upgrade the performance so ECU etc.

Myralga

Return to Exterior Mods