KUN26 engine light coming on

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

KUN26 engine light coming on

Postby Username_here on Sun, 03 Oct 2021 6:54 +0000

Hey all, I've never had any problems with my Hilux apart from an oil leak from my rocker cover. Had this repaired recently to pass it through a Rego inspection. I watched the mechanic spray off my engine on a hoist which cleaned it up pretty good but I didn't have a good feeling about it

Fast forward two weeks and my engine lamp comes on. Hoped it would go away but every two three weeks since it's come back on.

I took it to another mechanic who put it on the diagnostic, then sprayed my air intake sensor, said it looked dirty. Two weeks later light comes on again. Took it back then said maybe the auto trans sensors. I took it home, unclipped the sensors and there's a buildup of black tar like oil around them but looked spotless inside when I took them off for a look. It's also started squeaking on one of the pulleys in startup.. I knew that oil was good!

Anyone have any ideas for me to try next?

Thanks
Username_here

Re: KUN26 engine light coming on

Postby dave g on Sun, 03 Oct 2021 7:58 +0000

Is there a code.
dave g

Postby Username_here on Sun, 03 Oct 2021 10:14 +0000

I'm guessing not, because the mechanics said it could be a number of things after they put it on the diagnostic tool. They do think it could be the transmission sensors though apparently

Funny thing is, it only ever comes in when I'm taking my dog to the beach! Never any other time :lol: I tow a trailer for work every day and it never comes on, only with the dog enroute to beach and no trailer. I did just notice that my fuel filter casing was pretty loose and also oil filter. You never know, could have triggered something.

Though in saying all this, I've never replaced my air filter in the 5 years I've had the truck.. so it's possible the mass airflow sensors on its way out. I'm going to pick up a filter this week too
Username_here

Postby Username_here on Sun, 03 Oct 2021 11:06 +0000

Well, think I've just answered my own question here.. took filter out for a look and it's dirty as. I can literally blow dirt out and watch it fly. Intake will be struggling to take sufficient air in, triggering the sensor.

Mechanic should have picked up on this. I'd say the leaking rocker cover would have possibly allowed just enough pressure relief to save the sensor from going off until it was fixed. Will let youse know how it goes soon
Username_here

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 03 Oct 2021 1:06 +0000

Username_here wrote:Well, think I've just answered my own question here.. took filter out for a look and it's dirty as. I can literally blow dirt out and watch it fly. Intake will be struggling to take sufficient air in, triggering the sensor.

Mechanic should have picked up on this. I'd say the leaking rocker cover would have possibly allowed just enough pressure relief to save the sensor from going off until it was fixed. Will let youse know how it goes soon

If you've got a compressor you can blow the filter cartridge out (FROM THE INSIDE TO THE OUT ONLY) well away from the car. This'll get you through until you pick up a new cartridge THIS WEEK.
Not sure how a leaky rocker cover can stop the air flow sensor from working, but hay, I guess "Anything's Possible".
DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE WITH NO AIR FILTER CARTRIDGE IN IT. You'll probably be sorry if you do.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 03 Oct 2021 1:40 +0000

If you're talking about the mass airflow (MAF) sensor in the air filter box you need to get some maf cleaner which is a special cleaner. Don't touch the sensor wires, just spray the cleaner on and allow the fluid to drain off. Use plenty of cleaner. The air filter being dirty probably has something to do with it but you need a new one of them too.
You also should consider getting an obd scanner to read any codes, the mechanic must be a pretty bad one if he doesn't have one. They're essential these days! Do a search here for wireless obd scanner, they're only a few dollars.

Check this
viewtopic.php?t=22605

The squeaky pulley is probably a result of the mechanic spraying degreaser into it, flushing out the grease. You might be up for a new one of those too. Sounds like you need to find a better mechanic ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Username_here on Mon, 04 Oct 2021 2:40 +0000

Thanks guys, yea good advice all round. Wil pick up a new filter this morning, can't believe I've missed this for all these years.. :?
Username_here

Postby Username_here on Mon, 11 Oct 2021 9:50 +0000

Well the new air filter went in and I was hoping that would fix things but that damn light popped on again.. it's extremely strange, but I notice it only ever comes on on the same general area and when I'm taking the dog to the beach. All within about 400 metres of the same stretch, coming or going. Totally weird. I drive hundreds of kilometres every week and it never comes on any other time

I've bought a diagnostic from eBay so just waiting for it to arrive now. Thanks guys, will let you know when it gets in
Username_here

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 11 Oct 2021 10:26 +0000

Did you spray the maf sensor while you had the filter out? That could be the problem.
If you get the codes from the obd scanner that may help, otherwise it's hard to diagnose a vehicle when it's not in front of you.
It's also possible that the mechanic sprayed a wiring plug somewhere and there's a problem with the harness. Obd scanner will give some clues.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Username_here on Mon, 11 Oct 2021 12:51 +0000

Thanks Gips', no he left the filter in when they sprayed it. I since removed it and wiped with a cotton but too and some dirt seemed to come off but I didn't use the proper cleaner, just water.

I've just had another look and did notice the two screws that hold the air intake on to the engine and filter basket were a tadd loose, not majorly but possible it's had a small vacuum leak. I'm willing to try anything at the moment and you never know I guess

Will see what the obd says and report back asap
Username_here

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 11 Oct 2021 1:17 +0000

The maf sensor is very sensitive and just an oily film could cause problems. Not a good idea to use water or a cotton bud to clean it, you really need the cleaning fluid. Even WD-40 is no good because it leaves oil behind. If you're really stretched you can use isopropyl alcohol but the proper stuff is best. It is possible the sensor is rs particularly if it has been touched by hand or covered in road grime. I has a heating element which is used to sense the amount of air flowing over it so if it's dirty or oily it won't work properly. The 2 wires are 1 for MAF and the other for ambient temperature, both important to the ECU.
Put simply, a MAF has two sensing wires. One is heated by an electrical current, the other is not. As air flows across the heated wire, it cools down. When the temperature difference between the two sensing wires changes, the MAF sensor automatically increases or decreases the current to the heated wire to compensate.
There are 3 key signs that may indicate it's time to examine your MAF sensor.
Stalling, jerking, or hesitation during acceleration.
air fuel ratio is too rich.
air fuel ratio is too lean.

Just as a theory as to why your Hilux plays up near the beach, maybe it's the sea air or salt which changes its functionality, because if it's dirty, it will be more sensitive to the salty air? Just a thought.
Gipsy

Postby Username_here on Mon, 11 Oct 2021 2:58 +0000

Thanks for the detailed be explanation on how that works Gips', it only plays up on the same stretch of road 40km from the beach, I know so strange! But maybe just coincidence so far. Yes I'm thinking I should really just buy a new MAF sensor. Hoping aftermarket will be ok, the genuine Toyota is quite pricey in comparison but in saying that I've wasted time and money on aftermarket before and ended up buying the original after it didn't work right. Namely brake master cylinder and starter motors. The master cyl started leaking within a month and not one but TWO starters for an 80 series both had different shaped pinion wheels that made a "sssscchiiiiing!" Sound on startup because they couldn't mash properly with the flywheel
Username_here

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 11 Oct 2021 4:04 +0000

Don't buy a new MAF sensor yet until you know that's what it is. The obd scanner will probably find the fault.
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 12 Oct 2021 8:18 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Don't buy a new MAF sensor yet until you know that's what it is. The obd scanner will probably find the fault.

Also be aware that methylated spirits OR isopropyl alcohol will both leave an oily film behind. ONLY the proper cleaners will do the right job. Carby cleaner is about as far away from electronic componentry cleaner is about as far away as I'd be comfortable getting. Don't have a smoke in your mouth while you're doing this job ☺️☺️☺️
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 13 Oct 2021 7:41 +0000

Agreed Rob, there was once a solvent called freon which was great for this but since the ozone depletion became an issue freon was banned. The MAF cleaner is the only one to use!
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 13 Oct 2021 2:17 +0000

Username, I never asked before but how did you cancel the engine light?
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 13 Oct 2021 11:29 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Agreed Rob, there was once a solvent called freon which was great for this but since the ozone depletion became an issue freon was banned. The MAF cleaner is the only one to use!

Used to go up to the arms pits cleaning components in freon during my apprenticeship. Yes, it was good at that kinda job, just not so good (like you say) at greenhouse gas depletion. :roll: :o :(
PS. No, I'm not that good, we used to raid the Plumbers Store for the Super Heavy duty up to the armpit rubber gloves for that job.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 5:19 +0000

I was once or twice up to the eyeballs in agent Orange and benzine for some time, maybe that's what's wrong with me? :lol: :shock: sure depleted my ozone layer! :mrgreen:
Gipsy

Postby Username_here on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 3:58 +0000

Hey Gips'! Sorry, I hadn't been watching this as of late.

The engine light goes out just by turning the engine on and off four times from memory. I haven't been religiously counting but it's something close to that. Just checked progress of the obd scanner and it still hasn't even left yet due to delays in post.. damn you COVID!!!
Username_here

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 15 Oct 2021 5:47 +0000

Ok, I haven't heard about the on-off 5 times but it's likely that zeros ALL the codes just as does a disconnected battery. If you do it this way you won't see any codes including the pending ones I think.
Gipsy

Next

Return to General Discussion