Installing new radio

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Installing new radio

Postby Kimiko on Tue, 14 Sep 2021 9:56 +0000

I managed to pick up a nice touch screen radio with gps, but before just getting the old one taken out and new one installed is there anything I should be aware of in particular the little key symbol it has on it... does that have something to do with the ignition of the car or making a spare key etc...
Daddy's Little Princess
Kimiko

Re: Installing new radio

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 15 Sep 2021 11:26 +0000

I'm not certain, but I think you'll find the key symbol is a security code you can use to prevent theft. If the replacement is second hand you'll need to consider this point. The existing unit can probably be upgraded using a simple software installation. Just a thought.
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Fri, 17 Sep 2021 4:22 +0000

I've got 5 or 6 Toyota radios that probably would work if I knew the security code, the only reason they were taken out was no one knew the code and it was cheaper to put an after market radio in its place than pay Toyota to unlock it. I've seen many new Toyota owner cards with every number about the car on it including the salesman home number expect the radio code. The key on the radio is just a security code as Rob said. if you know it write it on the radio if you ever want to use it again.
241steve

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 17 Sep 2021 11:38 +0000

241steve wrote:The key on the radio is just a security code as Rob said. if you know it write it on the radio if you ever want to use it again.

Haha, the first thing I do when buying a vehicle is to look for it. Most of the time I find it hand written into one of the user manuals left in the glove box.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 18 Sep 2021 7:41 +0000

From what I read in my Toyota vehicle manuals the security code is something you as the owner program into the radio. If the radio is second hand and it is working, I would suggest the security has not been programmed. If it's second hand then that's a whole new ballgame... If it was previously programmed you need the code, but if it's working, chances are it hasn't been programmed. I don't know if non Toyota radios work the same but i imagine they do. Also, if the 'key' light is lighted up when the car's locked then it's likely that security is on.
I also suggest that in this day and age, if someone breaks into your car it's not the radio they're after, it's more likely your car will not be where you left it :o Hope this helps
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 21 Sep 2021 11:16 +0000

Gipsy wrote:... If the radio is second hand and it is working, I would suggest the security has not been programmed. If it's second hand then that's a whole new ballgame... If it was previously programmed you need the code, but if it's working, chances are it hasn't been programmed. I don't know if non Toyota radios work the same but i imagine they do. Also, if the 'key' light is lighted up when the car's locked then it's likely that security is on.
I also suggest that in this day and age, if someone breaks into your car it's not the radio they're after, it's more likely your car will not be where you left it :o Hope this helps

I agree with your last bit about "these days" they more likely want the car than the radio. One other thing came to mind ... I think it was my old XF Ute. The Ford radio needed the security code to be put in even if you disconnected the Battery. It would turn on and work, but also turned off automatically after about 90 seconds. Had to pull the book out of the glovebox every time the battery was disconnected. I also have a "fleeting" memory that in those days you could get the security code from the dealership for free. How things have changed.
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Wed, 22 Sep 2021 4:59 +0000

has anyone ever stolen and fitted factory radio to something else ? security codes are a wank to make revenue for the dealers. We have been putting up with bullshit from manufactures this entire century.
241steve

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:51 +0000

More likely they will steal the car and fit something decent as a car radio :lol: :lol:

As for security codes being a wank, you don't need to set it, but it's there if you need... And I expect it doesn't cost anything to have it there and it's a selling point for the dealer (oh how cynical).
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby 241steve on Wed, 22 Sep 2021 6:40 +0000

most toyota dealers seam to set the security code with the customer during hand over I think is what happens. They did on my mums camry when she picked it up. Twice actually thats how much my mum likes the toyota dealer . If cornia ever goes away shell probably buy another new Toyota.
241steve

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 22 Sep 2021 7:46 +0000

Steve, maybe you could tell your mum to stop the dealer and leave the security off ;)
Gipsy

Postby 241steve on Wed, 22 Sep 2021 6:21 +0000

do new Toyota's still have security coded radios ? it doesn't matter to mum shes been going to the same toyota dealer for the last 25 years and never had a breakdown no one but Toyota touch her car.
241steve

Return to General Discussion