Intro

Intro

Postby Jinky on Tue, 02 Feb 2021 8:06 +0000

Hi and thanks for accepting me into the forum.
I'm about to purchase a Hilux for my son and can think of no where better to be than here for knowledge and expertise. We are a family of campers and 4x4 however with another brand...be kind.
This is our first Hilux and therfore looking forward to understanding the vehicle its good and not so good points. Certainly happy to turn a spanner.
Very interested in what we should look for in a purchase (known faults etc) the cost to fix them and then offsetting that against the price so that he has a reliable vehicle. Any assistance with links etc would be greatly appreciated.
Jinky

Re: Intro

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 02 Feb 2021 8:38 +0000

Welcome jinky, what model are you looking at? There are some things to beware depending on kilometres and engine type but Toyota didn't get the top sales for nothing, they're generally unbreakable ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Jinky on Tue, 02 Feb 2021 10:50 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Welcome jinky, what model are you looking at? There are some things to beware depending on kilometres and engine type but Toyota didn't get the top sales for nothing, they're generally unbreakable ;)

Thanks Gipsy...we're currently looking at 2005-2010 3.0lt turbo diesels with approx 250,000km to 390,000km on the clock.

He can drive a manual so that opens up both gearboxes to us so just keen to know what to look for in views of what should have been done or what is due to cause issues around that kind of distance.

He'll use it for work so its got to be reliable and our 4x4ing is in the Vic High Country. Depending what we are up for to replace it might be worth reducing the km count and paying more for now.

It's just balancing the decision at the moment although a bit of work on it when we want to is good as I'm a believer in knowing your vehicle especially with us driving around the High Country.
Jinky

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 02 Feb 2021 11:20 +0000

G'day Jinky...this is the standard cut-and-paste intro that we give everyone, but that said... welcome to the forum :)

I will have mine up for sale soon :lol:

In the meantime, you'll find plenty of info on this forum. They are great vehicles - there is plenty of aftermarket support and parts are accessible and cheap.

Standard cut-and-paste welcome: this forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed.

In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the SEARCH HERE! box at the top left of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's
How to post pictures
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures

If 3rd party image hosting is a bit difficult, starting a shed is an easier option with direct image uploading.
Just click on the "Edit Your Shed" button at the top of the page

Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, Forum Guidelines

Cheers,
The mod team
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 02 Feb 2021 12:07 +0000

Jinky, diesels with those kilometres can present some issues but if they've been well-maintained they are ok. Some here argue that the petrol v6 is better for those models and I would agree, don't overlook the automatic gearbox especially the v6, because the later ones had the good 5 speed gearbox and current trends are that auto gearboxes are the better bet for off-road. I would recommend getting both a later model and low kilometres and be prepared to spend more than your budget because you definately get what you pay for. You won't regret the extra investment as it will be a better long-term vehicle, even if it breaks the piggy-bank. ;) Good luck in the hunt and hiluxxury would be a good place to start since his may be coming up for sale :D hiluxxury, just make the check out for cash! :lol: :lol:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Jinky on Tue, 02 Feb 2021 1:08 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:G'day Jinky...this is the standard cut-and-paste intro that we give everyone, but that said... welcome to the forum :)

I will have mine up for sale soon :lol:

In the meantime, you'll find plenty of info on this forum. They are great vehicles - there is plenty of aftermarket support and parts are accessible and cheap.

Standard cut-and-paste welcome: this forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed.

In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the SEARCH HERE! box at the top left of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's
How to post pictures
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures

If 3rd party image hosting is a bit difficult, starting a shed is an easier option with direct image uploading.
Just click on the "Edit Your Shed" button at the top of the page

Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, Forum Guidelines

Cheers,
The mod team

Hi Hiluxxury

Thanks for the intro and information...suspect I'm up for a lot of reading over the next few days/weeks!

Cheers

Jinky
Jinky

Postby Jinky on Tue, 02 Feb 2021 1:23 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Jinky, diesels with those kilometres can present some issues but if they've been well-maintained they are ok. Some here argue that the petrol v6 is better for those models and I would agree, don't overlook the automatic gearbox especially the v6, because the later ones had the good 5 speed gearbox and current trends are that auto gearboxes are the better bet for off-road. I would recommend getting both a later model and low kilometres and be prepared to spend more than your budget because you definately get what you pay for. You won't regret the extra investment as it will be a better long-term vehicle, even if it breaks the piggy-bank. ;) Good luck in the hunt and hiluxxury would be a good place to start since his may be coming up for sale :D hiluxxury, just make the check out for cash! :lol: :lol:

Brilliant thanks Gipsy

Good to know the petrol V6 is worth a look, my current 4x4 is a petrol after many years of diesels and there seems to be a lot less maintenance which means i can work on the fun upgrades. My only difference in planning is taking jerry cans with extra fuel...just in case.

This gives me a good set of variables to make a decision...time to narrow the search.
Jinky

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 02 Feb 2021 2:27 +0000

The fuel issue can be managed by fitting a long-range fuel tank ;) the petrol is more than 'worth a look', they have distinct advantages over diesel and the 4.0litre v6 is a bullet-proof mill. Also compared to the diesel there is more likelihood that a v6 hasn't been off-road much if ever. Compare the prices for a given vehicle, diesel and petrol, you'll be surprised and for maintenance cost it's line-ball. Don't be sold on the perception of diesel economy, the maintenance cost makes up for the difference. ;)
Edit: I know I have a diesel but I don't go off-road, I do my own maintenance and I bought specifically for towing! If I'd have my 'ruthers I would opt for the v6 Auto even though I'm happy with the diesel.
Gipsy

Postby Jinky on Wed, 03 Feb 2021 4:58 +0000

Gipsy wrote:The fuel issue can be managed by fitting a long-range fuel tank ;) the petrol is more than 'worth a look', they have distinct advantages over diesel and the 4.0litre v6 is a bullet-proof mill. Also compared to the diesel there is more likelihood that a v6 hasn't been off-road much if ever. Compare the prices for a given vehicle, diesel and petrol, you'll be surprised and for maintenance cost it's line-ball. Don't be sold on the perception of diesel economy, the maintenance cost makes up for the difference. ;)
Edit: I know I have a diesel but I don't go off-road, I do my own maintenance and I bought specifically for towing! If I'd have my 'ruthers I would opt for the v6 Auto even though I'm happy with the diesel.

Thanks Gipsy...
Jinky

Postby hiluxxury on Wed, 03 Feb 2021 6:20 +0000

Pros and cons of each engine - both are very good when maintained.

Have a look at the Fourby4Diesel youtube channel. He mainly focuses on prados but much is applicable to the hilux. He has a lot of content and sometimes the titles are misleading but i remember he did some videos recently on what to look out for when buying a 2nd hand prado(hilux) - mainly suspension bushes, oil leaks, dodgy service history.

The V6 may have oil leaks if the oil changes havent been kept up. The main thing to look at for the diesel is the oil pickup - its a tricky thing to check when you are buying one (you need to drop the oil) but a vehicle with a clogged or semi-clogged pickup is a vehicle to avoid. The 1kd is otherwise a fantastic engine... both engines are.

The rest is wear and tear which is up to you as to how much you can tolerate.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Jinky on Thu, 04 Feb 2021 9:35 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Pros and cons of each engine - both are very good when maintained.

Have a look at the Fourby4Diesel youtube channel. He mainly focuses on prados but much is applicable to the hilux. He has a lot of content and sometimes the titles are misleading but i remember he did some videos recently on what to look out for when buying a 2nd hand prado(hilux) - mainly suspension bushes, oil leaks, dodgy service history.

The V6 may have oil leaks if the oil changes havent been kept up. The main thing to look at for the diesel is the oil pickup - its a tricky thing to check when you are buying one (you need to drop the oil) but a vehicle with a clogged or semi-clogged pickup is a vehicle to avoid. The 1kd is otherwise a fantastic engine... both engines are.

The rest is wear and tear which is up to you as to how much you can tolerate.

Thanks Hiluxxury I'll give Fourby4Diesel a look (certainly been known to spend time on 4x4 YouTube channels!) Also the heads up on the oil pick up is much appreciated.
Jinky

Return to Introductions