Pulled suction control valve out,put back in wont fire first

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Pulled suction control valve out,put back in wont fire first

Postby Tazzie00 on Mon, 12 Oct 2020 5:46 +0000

So I pulled scv out thinking it might have been causing me issues. Wasn't the case but since putting back in the bus won't start first turn. Never had a problem before. Any thoughts guys?
Tazzie00

Re: Pulled suction control valve out,put back in wont fire f

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 13 Oct 2020 5:35 +0000

Could be any number of issues... air in the system, contamination of the SCV/fuel system etc etc. Did you disassemble the SCV?
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 09 Mar 2021 12:09 +0000

Hi folks, just having difficulties starting after the vehicle has been sitting for a while. It appears to be fuel- related as the engine cranks but no start. After manually priming via filter pump the car starts and runs fine. Is it possible my scv is on the way out, or is this a symptom of something else? BTW haven't replaced any fuel related items and this came out of the blue. The only possible clue is last Thursday I drove the Lux out of my driveway and parked on the street so the engine didn't reach operating temp, then it did it again today after standing for 3 days
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby hiluxxury on Wed, 10 Mar 2021 4:56 +0000

Sorry to hear that Gipsy. I leave mine for upto 8 months a year and it always starts first time. Is there any evidence of a rat nesting under the bonnet?

Other than that, its unlikely your SCV is shot but it might be worth cleaning the scv and changing the filter. Do you have techstream?
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 10 Mar 2021 6:16 +0000

Thanks hiluxxury and yes mine stands for months at a time and never before has this happened. After reading as much as I can it's certainly not the scv as when the Lux starts it runs fine without any noticeable problem and no mil lights so I guess it's somewhere else :shock: no rats as I've had them before on a farm once and they certainly left their mark :o my engine bay is spotless so any little traces would be easy to see.
I have techstream so that's probably next. It's odd but I wondered if the move from driveway to street without warming is a sign of something beginning to have problems. I'll try starting in a minute and see how it goes this morning. I'm hoping it's not the supply pump after all, the Lux has only got 70ks up.
Any ideas about that "forbidden"?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby hiluxxury on Wed, 10 Mar 2021 7:19 +0000

My browser does the forbidden thing every now and then, only when i use the quick reply. It will be some internet thing that i dont understand.

It does sound like a supply issue. maybe some algae is clogging the filter inlet or stuffing the scv - I hope you find the problem soon.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 10 Mar 2021 8:19 +0000

Thanks mate, it started first try this morning and the first thing is I'll change the racor filter element. There's nothing in the sight-glass so it's not likely to be that. I also use fuel doctor so algae is not likely so maybe it's just one of those gremlins that appear from time to time. ;)
Gipsy

Postby Krat on Wed, 10 Mar 2021 6:54 +0000

May be totally unrelated, but could be worth checking. Have there been any electrical gremlins happening recently. I had an alternator replaced a while back and when I collected it from the auto elects it would not start first turn of the key. Would start second go and run perfectly. I also noticed that the scan gauge was no longer working.
Returned the vehicle and had it checked. Was a small blown fuse that is part of the engine management system. Replaced the fuse. Everything back as usual.
Krat

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 11 Mar 2021 5:16 +0000

Thanks krat but no gremlins or anything else, just came out of the blue. Other than an oil change 6months ago the Lux has never missed a beat and yesterday all was ok so maybe just a black cat got run over somewhere :o
Gipsy

Postby martynvella on Thu, 11 Mar 2021 6:14 +0000

Krat, dont always believe what your told in that situation.
If you had a blown engine management fuse you would have had a lot more going wrong.
Workshop managers have been known to tell fibs to cover poor workmanship.
Fuses dont just blow for no reason, and for it to happen at the exact same time as it was having electrical repairs?
martynvella

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:22 +0000

Too true Martyn, that's why my first port of call is here on newhilux. Not all information is correct but there's always someone with an answer to possible reason/solutions to a problem. And yes the mechanics often tell you a porkie or two if they don't really know why you have any problems. That's also why I do as much maintenance as I can before I trust it to the dealership. Others here have a wealth of experience and knowledge to help us track down a fault before we lay down our hard-earned cash to some pimple faced apprentice at the stealership.
In nsw we require an annual inspection and invariably they find some obscure bs reason for you to spend money with them. My immaculate Lux is always found to have one problem or another and its most often some extortion or a reason to sell you something. Point in example, last rego inspection on my corolla I was told (at 38k) I needed new tyres... Sold by the workshop, so I asked 'are they illegal now?' and was told "they will be by the time you come in next year!" That's extortion! He wouldn't pass it until I bought new tyres and that's the last time for me to use his services!
Another example, for the past 3 years the same mechanic has challenged my x-force 3inch exhaust system arguing it doesn't have a cat (which it does!) And each time I have argued with him, if he wants to prove his point he should remove the system, check for a cat, then he can pay for a brand new one to replace the damage! He does it each year, and I say the same thing! And he lets it pass. Very short memory that bloke!
Gipsy

Return to Fuel Systems