No brake lights

No brake lights

Postby Sarantlux on Sat, 01 Aug 2020 1:03 +0000

Hi all, I have a problem where my brake lights don’t work but the tailgate one does. I have found zero volts on both sides. I have a genuine trailer plug controller which I have checked. It seems like it could be ground problem but I would expect the other lights not to work. The relay stops all the brake lights when I remove it so it’s seems fine. Thanks for your help.
Sarantlux

Re: No brake lights

Postby numberplate on Sat, 01 Aug 2020 2:48 +0000

wouldn't happen to be 2 blown globes by any chance? check the wiring harness for any points where it may have rubbed through.
numberplate

Postby Bushwalker8 on Sun, 02 Aug 2020 8:25 +0000

The trailer module/ECU sources it's light signals via two patch cables inserted into the looms at the tail lights. There is a patch for each side, the brake light signal is sourced from the RHS tap. You could also check for a stop signal at the trailer connector.

If there is a problem with the way either or both taps have been installed then it could be possible the brake light signal may not be passing through to the vehicle lamps.

Check the connections on the taps, and if you want to eliminate the taps then temporarily remove them and plug the main loom directly into the lights as they would be on any vehicle without the trailer ECU.
If they are still not working check the voltage in the connectors on the main loom in case any pins may have been damaged in the installation. Stop signal is pin 4, red/black wire on the RHS & grey/black wire on the LHS.
Bushwalker8

Postby daveo on Mon, 27 Sep 2021 6:53 +0000

I am also having this problem and wondering if anybody knows a fix. I have a Toyota dropside tray, toyota trailer wiring harness. The bulbs both look fine, the tail lights work when headlights are on but the brake lights dont - separate circuits i realise. Checked all the fuses I could find and all look fine apart from one in the wiring harness near the rear number plate which was a bit corroded but not blown, changed it and no better.
daveo

Postby Sarantlux on Tue, 28 Sep 2021 4:50 +0000

I had to send mine to a auto electrician. The moment he saw that I had an ARB frontier fuel tank he new exactly what the problem was (His words “here’s another one”). If the tank isn’t installed correctly the wiring loom can get pinched between the tank and the floor. Eventually the wires rub through and short or in my case open circuit and the brake lights stopped working . Hope this helps
Sarantlux

Return to Electrical