Marty's weekend warrior

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Marty's weekend warrior

Postby Martyhing on Sun, 26 Apr 2020 2:48 +0000

Hi all,

Pretty new to the forum. Thought I'd start a build page as there's a few things I'd like to do to my Hilux. Could be a fair bit of time between posts though as I build up the cash in between projects. Firstly, let me introduce you to the vehicle:

2006 SR5 4.0L V6 manual.

Previous owner has done a lot of work including: bull bar and winch, 2" lift and suspension upgrade, heavy duty clutch, rear locker, compressor, dual battery system, auxiliary fuel tank, roof racks, drawers, UHF, LED light bar and I'm sure a few other things I've forgotten. Point is, she's pretty well set up for offroad and camping. However, this vehicle is also my daily driver, so I needed it to be comfortable for around town as well.

To start, I thought I'd post a few of my Corona lock-down projects. These were all pretty easy mods (let's be honest, some aren't mods at all. They're just things I bought to make the interior more comfortable), but have certainly kept me busy over the last few weekends and it's really made the car feel like mine. I'm kicking myself that I didn't take before and after shots. I'm afraid I can only show the current state. I'll try to remember for future posts.

First and arguably the most important upgrade was the passenger-side cup holder (can't believe this wasn't standard...)

I then did some tidying up of the various bits and pieces the previous owner had added to the dash. There were wires hanging everywhere and it was all a bit messy for my liking. I moved the battery monitor to the driver's side and hid the wiring behind the dash. I re-routed the wiring for the light bar switch and placed it closer to the steering wheel (it was previously near the glove box so i had to reach across to the passenger side to turn it on/off).

I then removed the ash tray and placed the UHF in its place (photo above). It was previously screwed under that part of the dash and the wires were jammed hard up against the switch panel. It was also obstructing the demist button (not that I really use that with the canopy). I then made a clip the hangs on the dash to hang the microphone on out of some scrap aluminium and spray paint.

Next, an organizer tray for the centre console

Then, rear seat mod. Seriously, best mod on the forum in terms of ease and the payoff you get for it.

I then swapped out the old 6 CD stacker OEM unit for a smaller headset with bluetooth and USB. Also a microphone for hands-free talking on the phone. I also got a small storage pocket facia kit to fill tho hole. I like having the extra storage space.

Next project was lighting for the tray. I hooked up some LED strip lights to the existing tub light. Also hooked up a glove box light with left over LED strip. I wired this to a momentary spring switch.

Lastly, a couple of roof rack additions for when this lock-down is lifted and we can get back out on the trails. A high-lift jack holder and maxtrax mounts from Kaon industries. Can't recommend Kaon highly enough.

I also installed a reverse camera, but had to send the monitor back as it was glitching out. That'll probably be my next post. I'm also toying with the idea of replacing the rocker switches for the locker and compressor with push-button switches to match the other switches on the current panel. Not a big issue, but it just sets off my OCD. I also had a great suggestion from HK1837 about front brake upgrades which I'm going to look into. Oh, and I pulled the winch out last weekend and cleaned and re-greased the gearbox. Waiting on an O-ring to re-install it. Not really a mod, but another lock-down project I'm working on.
Martyhing

Re: Marty's weekend warrior

Postby Critter350 on Mon, 04 May 2020 10:02 +0000

Good solid start Marty. Welcome to the forum, look forward to the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critter350

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 05 May 2020 5:03 +0000

I always wanted that cup holder.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Martyhing on Tue, 05 May 2020 5:39 +0000

Thanks Critter! That's quite a build you have going also. I'm really quite jealous of your fabrication abilities.

Hiluxxury, The parts I got are below. I notice the price has gone up since I bought them but you should be able to find them on special somewhere on ebay. It's a bit annoying the parts are sold separately. I didn't realise at the time, so had to wait a couple of weeks between the install while I waited for the other part to arrive. I actually had to cut away some mounded plastic behind the dash to get access to the screws to hold the casing. Pain in the butt, but worth it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LH-Cup-Hold ... 2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Cup ... 2749.l2649
Martyhing

Postby Martyhing on Wed, 06 May 2020 9:43 +0000

Also added a fire extinguisher bracket under the driver's seat, but forgot to take photos for the previous post. The bracket is from Kap Industries: https://kap.industries/. Very happy with it. Easy install, holdes the extinguisher securely, no rattles.

And replaced the window trims on all four windows because the old ones were peeling and rusty. Just a small cosmetic upgrade. Sorry, no photos of those.
Martyhing

Return to Member Build Ups