Convert 3/4 bench to bucket seat/console

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Convert 3/4 bench to bucket seat/console

Postby Bubbs64 on Sat, 11 Jan 2020 10:20 +0000

Hi all,

Wondering if I can convert my 3/4 bench in my 2010 single cab manual SR ute to a bucket seat and console combination.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Bubbs64

Re: Convert 3/4 bench to bucket seat/console

Postby Skrewdriver on Sun, 12 Jan 2020 6:45 +0000

Yes, it can be done, but it depends on the floor pan from Toyota and how much work you want to put into it.

I done this conversion in my old EA Falcon back in 1998. I bought my parents ex Taxi of them and dumped the vinyl seats and put a S-Pack interior into it. The EA Falcon had all of the necessary pre stamped mounting bolt holes in the floor, so a bench seat could be installed or two front buckets.

It come down to the build sheet of the customer requirements.

I installed the two front buckets using all factory mounting bolts and mounting points, and for extra piece of mind, had the car blue slipped for a change of body configuration from 6-seater to 5-seater. I used all the factory mounting rails on the bucket seats, everything was normal fit as per factory build.

I am not sure if Toyota do the same if it is a generic floor pan or not. If it is, happy days, if not, you will have the same problem as what happened with the BA Falcon series, it was a specific floor pan to the build of the car.

Bench seat floor pan versus bucket seat floor pan.

If this is the case, it can be done, but it is a lot more work. You have to mount the seat rails up on the correct angle and then when you bolt them to the floor, you have to weld strengthening plates on the underside and then get it engineered by an RTA recognized RTA engineer.

When then leaves the console. As mentioned earlier, my EA Falcon was a ex Taxi, so it was column shift, so I just had a gap/void in between the two front seats, which didn’t bother me. I am guessing a SR/SR5 console would/should bolt straight in??

I don’t know, I am too old to be modifying cars, I just get in and drive it.

Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

Skrewdriver
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana

E-Mail: pbialasinski@bigpond.com
Phone: (0407) 237723
Skrewdriver

Postby Bubbs64 on Sun, 12 Jan 2020 1:59 +0000

Hi Skrewdriver,

Thanks for responding.

After doing more research I found that there were more tapped holes to suit the left hand bucket seat.
The odd one was the rear left where it was located under the cabin tub covered by the metal frame. Once I secured the two front bolts I was able to mark, drill and open the hole so I could get the M8 bolt started.

One happy chappy.

Thanks again.

Bubbs64
Bubbs64

Postby Lewy88 on Tue, 09 Jun 2020 8:04 +0000

What type of seat did you install?
Lewy88

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 10 Jun 2020 6:49 +0000

I bought two Stratos seats (most comfortable seats I ever owned) and installed them into my old 60 series LandCruiser. They're Australian made and Stratos supply mounting rails for most vehicles. These seats were (maybe still are?) used in ambulances etc. Otherwise Recaro seats do the same.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to General Discussion