DB's build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Where to Stick it

Postby NZMarkb on Fri, 08 Nov 2019 7:57 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:Hi Mark,
The lock up kit is good for the few reasons I have noticed:
- Lowers trans temps. Havnt ran over 90 degrees on highway (going off scan gauge)
- No hunting for gears or down shifting with slightest accelerator input
- Fuel economy
Things to watch out for is when coming to a stop make sure the TC switch isn't engaged as the engine starts to shake fighting a stall - (true to the name suggesting the converter is locked up)
If you put your foot down, go up a decent hill or slow down it will still shift down a gear.
Can still take a little work to find 5th sometimes but much easier than stock, just need to ease off right foot for it to kick in

All in all, a very good investment if towing regularly

Hiluxxury - we will need to see a pic of that... just cant picture an offroad camper trailer being towed by an X5 ;)

Thanks for the feedback GB
That’s exactly the stuff I was wanting to know about
My only issue now is I’m seriously considering upgrading to a 200 series

As for Hiluxxury — that doesn’t count sitting on the street, let’s see some photos of it in the scrub ;)
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 09 Nov 2019 6:19 +0000

X5 drivers ... not afraid to get a bit dusty ;)

No worries Mark. Kits for the 200 are available too although I believe they come with factory lockup for 5th and 6th.
I should say that I also have an extrenal trans cooler. However, I wanted to see what difference the kit made so ran it hard towing and saw trans temps drop quickly when lock up engaged.

The new trailer didnt come with mechanical brakes so a brake controller was needed.
The previous owner was good enough to give me a brand new V2 towpro unit (serial number did not require the recall)
He never installed it in his 200 series as he said he "never felt" the trailer behind the V8 :shock:
Just had to buy the generic harness as redarc no longer make specific looms for the Gen 7
Again, where to stick it...
Too much going on in the passenger foot well so looked at drivers side. Have to mount the unit on a solid surface.
The only surface was up high and had an uneven surface for the 3M tape to adhere to
Knocked up a saddle bracket out of scrap ally, bolted on the bracket then epoxy to the panel.

The way the the harness clips on requires clearance for fingers on the underside/ panel side to undo the clip - so made the saddle bracket about 30mm high off the inner pannel.

The instructions state that you need to run power directly from the battery. The main gland is already crammed so had to drill :shock: into the fire wall to make a new one
I dont recommend doing this. The insulation was a pig to drill thru jamming up he drill bit. Difficult to comprehend but it took about 30 minutes with the drill to break thru the vinyl on the inside, constantly clogging and jamming the drill

Ran 6B&S down the passenger side with the towpro harness for trailer power

Red wire of trailer loom gets spliced with red of towpro while blue gets removed and replaced by the towpro blue wire.
Small round trailer plugs suck. Had to by new internal socket as the brass screws on the old one were flogged.

Fitted up trailer vision power socket
Picked up this Kincrome gas torch as I left the 240V soldering iron hanging for too long and melted the handle :oops:
The old benzomatic torch pales in comparison

While I saved about $300 on the towpro unit next time I would consider a wireless unit.
DeadlyBeast

Postby NZMarkb on Sat, 09 Nov 2019 5:08 +0000

Hi DB

Thanks for the reply and great post
I’m seriously considering buying a 200 on OZ and using it for a few adventures before bring it back to NZ
The price jump is the only thing slowing me at the moment
Cheers
Mark
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 14 Nov 2019 7:11 +0000

Thanks Mark
Yeah - a pretty big initial investment but what a touring rig 8-)

I installed a sus-tech pop and lock tail gate lock actuator over a year ago but never got around to wiring it up. Not much need to when you live in the sticks and dont carry much in the back.
Thats about to change so heres the install

Able to fit twin core thru the tail gate conduit with the tail light and reverse camera loom

The square end didnt always engage with the OEM lever mechanism so rounded the lead edge

Works well. Extremely fast and firm actuator action.
Absolutely no play in the tail gate handle when engaged - does not move 1mm
Will see how solid it is after a few thousand cycles
DeadlyBeast

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 14 Nov 2019 7:26 +0000

This is the main loom on drivers side just infront of the B pillar and next to a floor grommet under the driver seat
Signs of wear in factory loom - a short waiting to happen

Can easily slide factory insulation tape either side of splice
Tested connections

Tap into BLUE wire + BLUE & YELLOW trace

Soldered and insulated

Ran the rest of the twin core along the chasis rail (wrapped some more insulation tape around the factory insulation
DeadlyBeast

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups