speed sensor problem

speed sensor problem

Postby Mark5 on Sun, 06 Oct 2019 12:26 +0000

I have done a bit of a search for this already in the forum and haven't found anything with my problem but I am super happy to be told if I am doing anything wrong.

I am at a bit of a loss because I own a 88 hilux petrol 2wd model YN85R-TRKRSQ which says it came with a 2Y engine. But under the hood there is a 4Y on the top of the engine. My problem is that the speedo isn't working and the fuel gauge looks like it isn't in the right place. Now I have pulled the cluster and the back of the cluster was burnt so i got a new one that is the same. I installed it and taco still works and temp works but the fuel gauge is on a weird amount. The speedo still doesn't work. I pulled the speed sensor out of the gearbox and it has no wires attached to it. So my two questions are:

Can I calibrate the fuel gauge?

what is the wiring harness called that goes to the vss and where does it go?

below are some pics any help identifying what the gearbox is would be super helpful as well. I'm not even sure if that cluster is the right one to be using.

Mark5

Re: speed sensor problem

Postby Mark5 on Mon, 07 Oct 2019 5:31 +0000

What can I do?
Mark5

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 08 Oct 2019 6:02 +0000

Looks like you have a Frankenstein Hilux probably the engine/transmission from a Toyota surf or forerunner or similar. Many of these engines were brought in from Japan imported as upgrade/replacement engines. A wrecker might give you some explanation. The electrical stuff is probably from original and you might need the forerunner equipment to make the Speedo work. Not that I'm an expert but logic tells me this may be the case.

Edit: 4y engine was NOT used by Hilux, 4runner or surf but in Australia it was only in town ace and tarago. My guess is Tarago if it's not a Japanese import.

Here is a rundown of the y series engine but unless you know what vehicle it came from its anyone's guess how to solve your problem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Y_engine

Do you really nexed a Speedo? The fuel gauge is probably also calibrated for another vehicle, maybe the cluster isn't original either. Is the fuel tank original? The sender unit could have a stuck float???
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Mark5 on Tue, 08 Oct 2019 6:23 +0000

Yeah it seems to be pretty Frankenstein. I bought it real cheap as a "temp" but I've fallen in love with it so I would like to fix the few niggles I don't like so as to give it a bit more life.

The fuel gauge always seems to be 25% lower then it should. maybe there is a resistor or something i can solder in? maybe just take out the tanks sender unit and give it a knock and a clean?

The other real q I have is can I tap into the back of my instrument cluster with the wires from an speed sensor to make the speedo work?

The engine is solid - i can roll with 1.5 ton of gravel in a trailer and it purrs up the hills.
Mark5

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 09 Oct 2019 5:15 +0000

"The other real q I have is can I tap into the back of my instrument cluster with the wires from an speed sensor to make the speedo work"

That's probably why the old cluster was burned, someone else tried. You need a very good sparkie to answer that.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Mark5 on Wed, 09 Oct 2019 1:33 +0000

Yeah someone else tried. There was an extension lead hooked up to the sensor in the gearbox. I also thought it may have been burned but what I need to know is where do the three wires that come from the sensor go? There are screws in the back of the speedo that say gnd, +, and s. So I figured it might be possible.
Mark5

Postby Myralga on Thu, 10 Oct 2019 6:26 +0000

Not the first Frankenstein I have seen

Bought one myself which was from 4 vehicles and was an absolute trooper. It’s not uncommon to find. (And yes they are usually cheap)

Body
Tub
Chassis
Engine/driveline

Was mine

Sorry I can’t be any help here. But you really really need an a grade auto electrician who knows Toyota’s inside and out without a manual. To even consider the repair.

As for the speedo in the mean time I always have the app “Waze” running.
Has GPS speed and in Sydney atleast a lot of people use it so the Cop notifications are pretty accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Mark5 on Sat, 19 Oct 2019 2:19 +0000

yep im using an app for speed, seems to be pretty accurate.

update on my prob though:

I think I have an 88 hilux that came with a 3y.  Someone has put a 4y in and a g52 gearbox from a 4runner.  they also changed the instrument cluster to some sort of 94 hilux.  Now as my original ute had a cable speedo but the updated ute has an electronic speedo sensor/vss screwed in and an electronic speedo dash/instrument cluster i had no wiring harness to connect them.  found the wiring diagram for the vss and tapped into 12v, ground, and i ran a wire to the back of the speedo in the dash to the screw that says "s" on it.   now it is working, however it is showing the wrong speed by about ten klicks an hr at 60 and 20 klicks at 120. im guessing I have the wrong cog in the gearbox for the cluster that is in it.  I have 19 plastic cogs on my wheel and I read somewhere that 21 is normal for Toyotas?  does anyone know if this is true and what I need to buy.

cheers
Mark5

Return to Electrical