Ex Gas Pipeline 2014 SR 4x4 Dual Cab

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Ex Gas Pipeline 2014 SR 4x4 Dual Cab

Postby monezdahman on Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:49 +0000

Hi guys,

I'm new here, been looking at buying a second hand Hilux SR 4x4 for the past couple of months, my budget is about $22k. Found this ex gas pipe line 2014 SR with 150,000km going for $21,500. I haven't went and seen it myself but had a mate have a quick look at it who used to be a mechanic, he recons it drives fine, has full service history, interior is sweet, would need new tyres, body is fine apart from a couple chips, but the tray and underneath the car has some surface rust, photos are on this dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bx8blnfbxxlywyj/AAC6aKug1nxIWOkc2dXfx1r8a?dl=0

My mate recons it looks a lot worse than it is, most of the orange colour is actually red dirt, he said that I could clean it up by getting under it with a steam cleaner but this would involve a lot of work and time. I would then have to remove the tray and get it resprayed. He recons to do these works and detail etc i would have to but in about 2-3 grand. He recons it could be worth it if i got it for about $19k.

I know very little about cars and have no experience dealing with rust etc. I do have access to a steam cleaner, but would have to would need ramps or something to get under it.

Also my other concern is that despite the full service history the car may have been thrashed and been in some poor conditions throughout its life, with potential for issues in the future.

Given my situation, experience, condition of the car and previous use of a car on gas pipelines, do you guys recon it would be worth restoring it to a better condition or is this the type of car i should stay away from?

The fact that its at 2014 with not too high kms is appealing, i could either go down this route or buy an earlier year model potentially 2012 within my budget without the need to perform any works on it.

Any wisdom or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
monezdahman

Re: Ex Gas Pipeline 2014 SR 4x4 Dual Cab

Postby Cobba7490 on Sun, 11 Aug 2019 8:54 +0000

The rust looks bad, but without a clean you won't know how bad. With the service history, was it worked on by the companys mechanics or by Toyota/third party workshop? If it is by Toyota/third party workshop i would trust that a bit more than in house mechanics (had a mate get stung like that).

If your mate gives it a thumbs up with his mechanical background then it should be good. (How much do you trust his experience/opinion? (Not having a stab, just another variable)

I subscribe to the theory that body damage is the lesser of two evils compared to mechanical (engine, gearbox/transmission/ transfer case). If you have a bit of motivation alot of body repairs can be done yourself, whereas, some mechanical issues will require a professional.

Up to you, I've heard some bad stories about ex-fleet vehicles (mainly ex-mine vehicles) but i think there was a build thread on here of a bloke getting a really good deal and built it into a good rig.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Cobba
The MudBug: 1999 LN167R, 3.0L 5L, N/A diesel
The "BushRanger": 2002 KZN165R, 3.0L 1KZ-TE, turbo diesel
Cobba7490

Postby dave g on Sun, 11 Aug 2019 5:49 +0000

See if the seller will clean the under side for better look.
Looking at the photos can't see any bends or heavy scrap
dave g

Postby monezdahman on Mon, 12 Aug 2019 7:28 +0000

Cobba7490 wrote:The rust looks bad, but without a clean you won't know how bad. With the service history, was it worked on by the companys mechanics or by Toyota/third party workshop? If it is by Toyota/third party workshop i would trust that a bit more than in house mechanics (had a mate get stung like that).

If your mate gives it a thumbs up with his mechanical background then it should be good. (How much do you trust his experience/opinion? (Not having a stab, just another variable)

I subscribe to the theory that body damage is the lesser of two evils compared to mechanical (engine, gearbox/transmission/ transfer case). If you have a bit of motivation alot of body repairs can be done yourself, whereas, some mechanical issues will require a professional.

Up to you, I've heard some bad stories about ex-fleet vehicles (mainly ex-mine vehicles) but i think there was a build thread on here of a bloke getting a really good deal and built it into a good rig.

Cobba

Thanks mate.

Its been serviced by their fleet mechanics, they are a fair sized truck/ute hire company.

My mates been a mechanic for about 40 years, so I do trust his opinion, that being said he only have a quick look and drove it around for a few minutes. More concerned that its been thrashed while on site. I would pay for a proper inspection prior to purchasing if i go a head with it.

Any idea how much it would cost for to get the under body cleaned up professionally?

I have just found a 2013 SR dual cab, 115,000km, no rust, toyota service history, body and interior and in good condition for $24.5k...may be the better option if i can get it within my budget.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i6gbnb3224x6 ... jsaOa?dl=0
monezdahman

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 12 Aug 2019 10:02 +0000

Are you looking for auto or manual? Does it have to be diesel?
HK1837

Postby monezdahman on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 6:03 +0000

HK1837 wrote:Are you looking for auto or manual? Does it have to be diesel?

Manual preferred mate and yes diesel.
monezdahman

Postby HK1837 on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 6:11 +0000

Cool. I saw some nice low km V6 auto SR5’s on Carsales hence why I asked. Do yourself a favour and drive one before you buy a diesel.
HK1837

Postby Cobba7490 on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 7:05 +0000

monezdahman wrote:
Cobba7490 wrote:The rust looks bad, but without a clean you won't know how bad. With the service history, was it worked on by the companys mechanics or by Toyota/third party workshop? If it is by Toyota/third party workshop i would trust that a bit more than in house mechanics (had a mate get stung like that).

Cobba

Thanks mate.

Its been serviced by their fleet mechanics, they are a fair sized truck/ute hire company.

My mates been a mechanic for about 40 years, so I do trust his opinion, that being said he only have a quick look and drove it around for a few minutes. More concerned that its been thrashed while on site. I would pay for a proper inspection prior to purchasing if i go a head with it.

Any idea how much it would cost for to get the under body cleaned up professionally?

I have just found a 2013 SR dual cab, 115,000km, no rust, toyota service history, body and interior and in good condition for $24.5k...may be the better option if i can get it within my budget.

I don't know how much to get it cleaned professionally. So, can't help ya there, mate.

That 2013 rig looks good. Body and tray look straight and damage free. And lower kilometers than the 2014.

Is it possible for you to get your mate (or a third party mechanic) to do a bit more of an indepth inspection on both vehicles so that you can compare them? The 2014 might work out better for your situation/budget? Even if you have to put in the work yourself and get your hands dirty to clean it up. I notices that alot of surface rust was on the exhaust, is this really an issue? More than likely you are gonna have a new exhaust system high up on your list of mods...?

Just my two bobs worth.
The MudBug: 1999 LN167R, 3.0L 5L, N/A diesel
The "BushRanger": 2002 KZN165R, 3.0L 1KZ-TE, turbo diesel
Cobba7490

Postby HK1837 on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 7:38 +0000

I’d try and stretch your budget if at all possible and make an offer on something with lower kM in better condition. In the end you may be better off financially spending a bit more up front. Just a few examples although the first one is a bit rough. Just check service history and run the VIN past Toyota for any issues they’ve had. The higher priced ones at dealers do include stamp duty too. But if your budget is fixed then I guess you have to find the best you can.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... D-17513077

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... D-17384052

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... AD-6215866
HK1837

Postby monezdahman on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 9:28 +0000

Cobba7490 wrote:
monezdahman wrote:

Cobba

Thanks mate.

I don't know how much to get it cleaned professionally. So, can't help ya there, mate.

That 2013 rig looks good. Body and tray look straight and damage free. And lower kilometers than the 2014.

Is it possible for you to get your mate (or a third party mechanic) to do a bit more of an indepth inspection on both vehicles so that you can compare them? The 2014 might work out better for your situation/budget? Even if you have to put in the work yourself and get your hands dirty to clean it up. I notices that alot of surface rust was on the exhaust, is this really an issue? More than likely you are gonna have a new exhaust system high up on your list of mods...?

Just my two bobs worth.

Thanks mate.

I'm meeting up with him tomorrow to check out the 2013 rig so should get a good run down on it's condition and then can always go check out the 14 if he or I think it's still think its worth it. Yeah I guess the exhaust rust isn't really an issue.

To your knowledge, is there a whole lot of difference between the 2013 SR model and 2014 SR model? Would you rather an earlier year model (13) with lower kms or the newer (14) with high kms? From what I've read there are no body work of structural changes between the models, the 14 seems to have a nicer interior and has a touch screen head unit.
monezdahman

Postby monezdahman on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 9:36 +0000

HK1837 wrote:I’d try and stretch your budget if at all possible and make an offer on something with lower kM in better condition. In the end you may be better off financially spending a bit more up front. Just a few examples although the first one is a bit rough. Just check service history and run the VIN past Toyota for any issues they’ve had. The higher priced ones at dealers do include stamp duty too. But if your budget is fixed then I guess you have to find the best you can.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... D-17513077

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... D-17384052

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... AD-6215866

Yeah I do gather what you are saying, I'm trying to avoid financing and just buy it out right so I am trying to stick around that $22k +- $3k mark. And considering this is my first rig will probably end up selling it in a couple of years anyway and try buy something new when i can afford it.

I recon 115,000km (for the 2013) is still quite low for a diesel, don't you? And condition looks go, but will be able to fully judge once i check it out tomorrow.
monezdahman

Postby HK1837 on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 10:08 +0000

Personally I wouldn’t buy a 2nd hand common rail, to me it is buying someone else’s problem. For low to mid 20’s I’d be buying a 2012 V6 auto with under 80,000km on it with good service history, preferably without a tow bar on it. It will give you far less grief than a diesel.

Have a look on red book for what is standard and what option packs there were in that timeframe. These were VSC and safety packs but at some stage it all became standard.

If you are buying a diesel manual don’t discount a 2011 SR5 dual cab with low km for the right price either, these have 17” wheels thus have bigger brakes plus they have VSC on them. Mechanically they are pretty much the same as 2012-15, it is the auto D4D that still have the awful 4spd up until about 2013. There were also some 2011 SR fitted with wide wheel packs too, they have the SR5 flares and tub plus VSC and possibly full airbags as well.
HK1837

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 15 Aug 2019 6:32 +0000

HK1837 wrote:Personally I wouldn’t buy a 2nd hand common rail, to me it is buying someone else’s problem. For low to mid 20’s I’d be buying a 2012 V6 auto with under 80,000km on it with good service history, preferably without a tow bar on it. It will give you far less grief than a diesel.

Have a look on red book for what is standard and what option packs there were in that timeframe. These were VSC and safety packs but at some stage it all became standard.

If you are buying a diesel manual don’t discount a 2011 SR5 dual cab with low km for the right price either, these have 17” wheels thus have bigger brakes plus they have VSC on them. Mechanically they are pretty much the same as 2012-15, it is the auto D4D that still have the awful 4spd up until about 2013. There were also some 2011 SR fitted with wide wheel packs too, they have the SR5 flares and tub plus VSC and possibly full airbags as well.

Good advice right there except that I would buy a diesel with 115,00kms on it.

Do some research here, one of the main issues with the 1kd engine is the injector seats/seal leaking which causes injector blowby. The hot blowby gases burn the oil and the burnt oil clogs the turbo oil supply and importantly the oil pick up. Its easy enough to drop the oil and check the pickup. Many threads here have discussed it.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby monezdahman on Thu, 15 Aug 2019 9:42 +0000

HK1837 wrote:Personally I wouldn’t buy a 2nd hand common rail, to me it is buying someone else’s problem. For low to mid 20’s I’d be buying a 2012 V6 auto with under 80,000km on it with good service history, preferably without a tow bar on it. It will give you far less grief than a diesel.

Thanks mate, I just had a look and the 2013 I am looking at is a KUN26R SR Cab Chassis Double Cab 4dr Man 5sp 4x4 3.0DT [MY12], so it doesn't come with VSC, full airbags and has 16'' wheels... So in your opinion you would rather these features than a more recent model? Is VSC very beneficial? I guess i should do some more research... https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... 1560292030
monezdahman

Postby HK1837 on Thu, 15 Aug 2019 10:26 +0000

I think the 2013 SR had the bigger brakes too, they fit under 16” steel rims. From memory VSC equipped SR came with the ADD front differential. Plus they lost the rear axle load valve.

One other thing worth having is curtain airbags which became standard at some stage too. I’m probably here today as I bought a 2010 SR5 for the ABS and airbags. When I had a driver’s side front and subsequent drivers side collision the curtain airbag saved me from head injuries. Definitely worth having, and it looks like the 2013 you are looking at has them.
HK1837

Return to General Discussion