Rear disc brake conversion...

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Rear disc brake conversion...

Postby Sideways on Fri, 08 Feb 2019 8:26 +0000

Yes PP, the design is exactly the right combination with the integrated drum handbrake - it was simply the cost I was railing against.
Only reason I'm going for a 'home-grown' conversion is that I've done loads of this kind of stuff before and it doesn't phase me - not everyone (understandably) wants to tackle it.

I'll just stick with the little TRD until someone builds a lightweight 4X4 with a (decent) TTD V8, 4 wheel (4 pot) disc braked and live-axles with decent articulation......oh, hang on...an F250 Raptor might fit that bill?
Pity I'm broke.... :lol:
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows..........
Sideways

Postby HK1837 on Fri, 08 Feb 2019 9:09 +0000

Plumb Perfect wrote:The rear disc kit still retains a drum handbrake but a rear disc brake. The drum handbrake is located within the hat of the disc. If that makes sense. So essentially you still have the same handbrake setup. Sorry wasn’t sure if I made that clear.

Both points taken. I’d agree that on the GTS with the upgrades you’ve done on the front, rear discs are probably not necessary. Similarly on a Lux which performs ok as is then it’s not worth it. Though I’d say you definitely feel when you don’t have enough as was in my case. The front bias is heavily noticeable. They perform well but you just can’t expect the fronts to be pulling up all the weight, quickly prompting the ABS to kick in exactly how sideways described it.
In a real world scenario, the rear drums are always out of adjustment it’s just a constant hassle especially if you travel off bitumen.
Having confidence in your braking setup is really important. I no longer get that tense feeling especially in the wet as it just pulls up as it should.

As far as the rear disc conversion goes I’m pretty sure we can agree through the experience I’ve had and the knowledge of you both, that it would be a superior setup and pretty much tick the boxes. It is night and day difference trust me.

The only issue, again I’m sure we agree, is the cost. It is expensive! It was for me, but I’ve mentioned why I did it (even before the pulley upgrades,ecu tune and TRD CAI which I’m itching for. You lucky bastards [emoji23])

If sideways manages to pull of that setup, I’d tip my hat off to him and I’m sure he will be very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that rear discs are better technology and superior braking in high performance applications, but as you say the cost can not be justified in most cases. I can see why you want them though! I have tried the in-disc drum handbrake setup (ex Commodore) on a Holden before, they just don’t perform as well as a proper drum handbrake.
HK1837

Postby Rooff Road on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 9:27 +0000

Bello. From Argentina. Why the conversión brake rear is only for models whit abs system? My model is 2.5 but year 2006 not abs. Best regards for everybady. Thanks
Rooff Road

Postby Sideways on Mon, 18 Feb 2019 7:39 +0000

Rooff Road wrote:Bello. From Argentina. Why the conversión brake rear is only for models whit abs system? My model is 2.5 but year 2006 not abs. Best regards for everybady. Thanks

The kit should work with any 2005 onwards Hilux. The diff housings are the same, apart from the ABS mounting, which is not near the caliper bracket anyway so should make no difference.
Sideways

Postby Flash Diesel on Fri, 08 Mar 2019 9:29 +0000

Sideways wrote:If you feel the need to get it engineered, then whatever your local cost is.....
Btw, I'm not doing these kits for anyone, merely providing the info.

It's ALL available on Ebay:
GQ rotors $120 pair
Billet caliper brackets $210
S/H rear Skyline calipers $150 (or more, depending which model you want to run)
Handbrake cable/bracket mods can be done yourself if you feel inclined or you can get them done by a cable company - $100 (max)
Brake bias valve $69 (optional)
Total: $649 (plus your time of course - should be a nice Sat arvo job).

It's really not that hard..........the only observation I would add is that if I was to design/laser-cut my own brackets, I would make them 3 bolt, not 2 bolt like the ones on Ebay but it's a minor issue - those billet brackets have been around for awhile.
Cheers, S

Which Billet caliper brackets are required?
And are we talking R31 calipers?
Flash Diesel

Postby Sideways on Fri, 15 Mar 2019 11:53 +0000

They're listed on Ebay - there are a few types but the most common are for the Skyline/MR2 calipers with the integrated h/brake. It took 30 seconds googling to find them........
Sideways

Postby mischief on Thu, 16 May 2019 9:09 +0000

So, my experience with the trakryder disc brake conversion kit from Pedders.

The good:
The brakes work amazingly well, I went for their brake pads all around to keep the compounds the same (no changes to the fronts other than the pads).
You can really feel the difference, loaded or unloaded.
As a brake upgrade, I can't fault it.

The Bad:
Handbrake...
Simply non-existant.
Worse part is, not much help at all from Pedders. The guy at the Pedders branch where we got the kit from seems helpful enough but it's almost like he's getting no help from HQ.

I cannot recomend the kit till they sort the handbrake issue out.
(yes it's worse than standard).
Guys who helped me fit the kit are trying all sorts of things to see if they can fix the issue. So thankful for that.
As for Pedders... :( is all I can say.
mischief

Postby Plumb Perfect on Fri, 17 May 2019 5:54 +0000

My handbrake is pretty crap too....

However!

After kit was installed, handbrake was fine (same as before) until after a couple off road trips and it’s gone “back to being crap again”.

For me personally, it is no different to how it was when standard. After adjustment it is fine, then a few off road trips later back to crappy crap.

I was never really happy with the Hilux handbrake to begin with and honestly didn’t expect any different going with this kit. It did do what I was expecting, which was better brake performance.

Hope it gets sorted for you mate!

Plumb Perfect

Postby Sideways on Mon, 24 Jun 2019 5:38 +0000

The same kit that Pedders sell at their outrageously inflated price is now available on Ebay for $1250.00
Sideways

Postby mischief on Fri, 23 Aug 2019 2:48 +0000

mischief wrote:So, my experience with the trakryder disc brake conversion kit from Pedders.

The good:
The brakes work amazingly well, I went for their brake pads all around to keep the compounds the same (no changes to the fronts other than the pads).
You can really feel the difference, loaded or unloaded.
As a brake upgrade, I can't fault it.

The Bad:
Handbrake...
Simply non-existant.
Worse part is, not much help at all from Pedders. The guy at the Pedders branch where we got the kit from seems helpful enough but it's almost like he's getting no help from HQ.

I cannot recomend the kit till they sort the handbrake issue out.
(yes it's worse than standard).
Guys who helped me fit the kit are trying all sorts of things to see if they can fix the issue. So thankful for that.
As for Pedders... :( is all I can say.

Overdue update, the guys that fitted the kit for me got the handbrake sorted, it's awesome now, something about moving the pivot point of the thing... yeah.. the THING...
Anyways.. thought you guys might like to know.
The brakes, awesome, kit fresh from Pedders, let down due to the handbrake issue & the lack of help.
mischief

Postby samuelclarke on Mon, 22 Jun 2020 7:55 +0000

Hey guys, thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread.

For the guys that have installed the Pedders rear disc kit, how's it going a couple of years on? Also, how does the handbrake perform?

I'm thinking about installing on my 2013 Hilux as part of a follow-up article on MotoFomo looking at rear brake upgrades on dual cabs.

I noticed that Yotamasters in the USA have kits for Tacomas including transfer case mounted handbrake conversions. Has anyone had experience with these? The price is very appealing, but wondering if getting engineered here would be expensive.
samuelclarke

Postby Plumb Perfect on Mon, 22 Jun 2020 10:30 +0000

Had mine a couple of years now, summary in short, DO IT!!

If you can appreciate the importance of stopping a vehicle (especially a 4WD which is usually carrying load) then do it! Worth every cent IMO.
As far as I’m concerned it’s an insurance policy. It has definitely paid for itself a few times over the past few years in preventing potential accidents/damage that may have been caused (mostly due to people’s stupidity on the road)

It’s costly, but worth it.

One thing to note is mileage out of the pads varies, I’ve heard of one guy getting 25k-30ks out of his rear pads which is poor however I was told he tows full time. My first set of pads got approx 46k. I thought that was low, they replaced them free under warranty. I’d say a few things would come into play towing,brake bias adjustment, load/no load etc. I think my brake bias could be adjusted forward a little to preserve them a little more but I’m extremely happy with my current braking capabilities so even if they last me another 40k only I’d be more than happy to replace them as the benefits far outweigh the cost of a set of pads. The confidence in the WET is worth it alone
We’ll see how the second set goes.

Handbrake: it is exactly the same as standard. I don’t really understand the issues that were being had unless there was an actual fault that had been sorted. The Hilux handbrake is crap as standard and always has been (I’ve owned a few N70 Hiluxs), with the brake kit I haven’t notice any difference at all.

FYI:
I have a TRD with the larger 338mm fronts DBA T3 slotted.
DBA XP performance pads
All Braided lines.
Pedders rear disc conversion with their pads and slotted discs

Plumb Perfect

Postby taresk on Fri, 26 Jun 2020 2:26 +0000

Regarding the T-case mounted handbrake, I haven't seen a cheap option for that, they're all quite pricey.
Ironhide Customs in Queensland make one for $1100, not sure about the engineering side of things though.
taresk

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components