Dan's Extra Cab UK

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Dan's Extra Cab UK

Postby dan@biali on Wed, 16 Jan 2019 11:23 +0000

So I've finally got round to changing the headunit. Went for an Alpine X902DF which is 9" display with Carplay and is designed for custom installs. Had to get a stereo surround to modify and then made some brackets to mount it all but went in slightly easier than I had thought.

Been playing with some cosmetic stuff too. Gone for a pop of orange in a few places. Got some orange tyre paint and been learning how to pinstripe on the centre caps of the wheels. Might not be to everyones taste but I'm liking it!

We had the rear seat back out when running the reversing camera wiring so it seemed a good time to put in some sound deadening. That rear bulkhead is really thin! Used a layer of dynamat extreme and some dynaliner over the top. Will see if that helps quieten the cabin down a bit.

Wanted to mount my Steelmate TPMS button in a more OE place. Had the steering wheel apart to wrap the bits in 3m 1080 carbon vinyl and thought the blank where buttons would go to control the dash looked about the right size. Bit of shaping with structural glues and fillers and some vinyl to cover it all up and this is what I came up with.

dan@biali

Postby Critter350 on Fri, 18 Jan 2019 9:44 +0000

That looks very neat but what does the button do? Or is a warning light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critter350

Postby dan@biali on Fri, 18 Jan 2019 3:57 +0000

I have a Steel Mate tyre pressure monitoring system fitted that displays pressures on the stereo. The button is a wireless battery powered remote control that when the stereo is on av input you press it and the tyre sensors send the latest pressures.
dan@biali

Postby dan@biali on Tue, 05 Feb 2019 2:32 +0000

Few more things finished. Been adding a few cosmetic touches in orange.

Pinstriped the gearknob

Got hold of the Invincible trim across the dash and air vents which have a chrome strip. Took them apart and wrapped them in 3m 1080 carbon and some orange vinyl

Redid the tray that my iphone sits on

And managed to use a tyre paint pen to do the stitches on the handbrake sleeve and gear gaitor

Onto some proper updates. I've been working out how to mount some auxiliary reverse lights neatly. Came up with this bracket and a 3d printed bezel. All run off a switch in the dash and from a relay/fuse box under the bonnet

With standard lights

With aux reverse lights

With stedi floods as well

As we had run wiring already it was easy enough to add some stedi rock lights in the bed. Made a quick prototype bracket as wanted them in the corner and angle down slightly

Did a quick drawing on sketchup

Had them 3d printed

Fitted using a bolt on the roll shutter and a tek screw into the side of the bed and run off a switch near the tailgate

No lights

Lights on

dan@biali

Postby Critter350 on Thu, 07 Feb 2019 10:55 +0000

Loving your work there Dan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critter350

Postby EXPLX4 on Tue, 27 Aug 2019 4:22 +0000

dan@biali wrote:Got the new wheels on. They are from the US Toyota Tacoma, 17x7 with an offset of 4. Slight clearance issue with the front mudflaps so took them all off and a small little piece of the front wheelarch liner at the bottom towards the back.

Dont suppose you have a pic of where the clearance issue was/is. Those wheels look the ducks nuts!! inspiring choice!!
EXPLX4

Postby Poim on Tue, 27 Aug 2019 3:52 +0000

Look's very good. In Sweden it's Most double cabs and not many extra Cabs..i like the extra Cabs much moore

I have a Hilux Extra Cab 2015.

The airbag on the passenger side , can your turn it off? On my 2015 you can't
Poim

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups