Oil Extractor

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Oil Extractor

Postby Enatech on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 6:52 +0000

Just wondering if anyone has done oil changes on a D4D engine with a marine type vacuum oil extractor ?
Ive seen them used to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube on marine inboards and on Mercedes car engines.

Looking at the Pela brand

Have had issues in the past with a striped and damage sump plug .....
Enatech

Re: Oil Extractor

Postby Wing on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 8:34 +0000

Then you can't check the pick-up screen through the drain hole. This is quite important for KUN26. A leaking injector seal can lead to pick-up screen blockage causing engine damage.
Wing

Postby mitch_893 on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 4:26 +0000

I fitted a fumoto oil drain valve. Has a hose barb fitted. Slide a tube onto it and point it straight into a 20l drum. No mess. No stripped threads. No washers to replace.
But as mentioned you cannot check the pickup screeen. But if you replace the injector seals once in a while you’ll be fine
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 6:06 +0000

Enatech wrote:Just wondering if anyone has done oil changes on a D4D engine with a marine type vacuum oil extractor ?
Ive seen them used to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube on marine inboards and on Mercedes car engines.

Looking at the Pela brand

Have had issues in the past with a striped and damage sump plug .....

Not a good idea! First they don't get all the oil out.
second they definately don't get the sludge out of the bottom of the sump.
Third they are designed for engines where the sump plug is inaccessible hence they are a bad option.

The only reason your sump plug is stripped is because some hamfist either cross threaded it or overtightened it!
Sump plugs are there for a reason, a good mechanic has no problem doing it right. If all else fails, get a funky valve fitted :?

That's fumoto valve :lol:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 6:11 +0000

Wing wrote:Then you can't check the pick-up screen through the drain hole. This is quite important for KUN26. A leaking injector seal can lead to pick-up screen blockage causing engine damage.

And as above, you can't check your pick-up screen leading to more than just damage but complete engine destruction!
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Spitfia on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 6:27 +0000

To answer your question Yes you can use the oil extractor and I have used one as the dip stick seems to point straight at the lowest point of the sump. although I would not recommend this as a regular service method as has been mentioned already it is a good idea to check the pickup screen for shmutz.

Good luck
YOU LOOKIN AT MY EYE?!!!
MY10 2011 SR Hilux DC, Steinbauer Module, 2" lift, BFG AT 265/75R16 etc. etc. etc.
Spitfia

Return to Servicing