Automatic Gearbox repairer perth

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Automatic Gearbox repairer perth

Postby Xr8tdd on Mon, 08 Oct 2018 7:25 +0000

Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a good automatic gearbox mechanic in Perth. It seems my 4 speed auto gearbox has let go in my 2013 hilux.

Cheers in advance
Xr8tdd

Re: Automatic Gearbox repairer perth

Postby HK1837 on Tue, 09 Oct 2018 3:45 +0000

Ring Wholesale Automatics in Bayswater Vic and see what they charge plus freight as a comparison, get it fitted locally by any mechanic.
HK1837

Postby HK1837 on Tue, 09 Oct 2018 7:01 +0000

I asked All 4x4 here in Newcastle for you, but they are out of stock at the moment. This can change from week to week though. They are about $3000 for one with lower kM on it, plus freight to WA. They freight all the time though so will have decent rates. This place is a quality dismantler though, all parts come out onto pallets and get stored in a HUGE dry warehouse full of about 15m high pallet racking, dedicated to the wrecking side of the business. Building used to be a major freight company's distribution centre so parts are moved onto trucks and freighted quickly and easily as they are already Bandit strapped to the pallet they are on. So I wouldn't be concerned about warranty etc. Might not be worth it to you, but see what a rebuilt one costs and do the sums.
The other possibility is to buy a wreck from the auctions in WA and get the auto out of it, then sell off the rest. Sometimes Stat write-offs are even driveable as often airbag deployment sees them written off especially now they are 6 years old or more, so you can try the tranny. My 2010 SR5 was written off at 15,000kM, it was hit damn hard and the dash and driver's curtain airbags went off, plus the RH front rail was bent and shortened. But it could still be started and moved so the condition of the engine and box could easily have been tested. Might not float your boat but an option.
HK1837

Postby martynvella on Tue, 09 Oct 2018 7:55 +0000

What went wrong with it? Do you know its life history, how many Km, cooler, external filter, oil change intervals if any, towing or beach work etc ?
martynvella

Postby Xr8tdd on Tue, 09 Oct 2018 7:38 +0000

Iv spoken to a few guys so far and it seems to repair/recondition to what extent we don’t no until it’s open in peices I’m looking at about 4-5500k hopefully iv caught it in time and it’s at the lower end of the scale. I had trouble with it shifting on Saturday and after driving it down the street on Sunday and pulling up it dumped oil all over the floor between transfer case and gearbox. Sounds like from the guys iv spoken to the pumps let go and probably put metal through out the whole box. Iv spoken to jtw in Oconner and they are asking about 3300 for a box with over 100k on it with only 3 months warranty (I don’t no how these guys move any stock as they are so expensive) I also got a price from a mate at Toyota for a brand new 4 speed for 4500 plus gst plus 1500 plus for a new torque converter which I thought was pretty reasonable but put labour on top and it’s starting to get steep.

As for the life history Marty car was government fleet vehicle serviced regularly but gearbox never serviced over the life of vehicle according to service records which Toyota recommend isn’t required. Iv done the last 60k on it bought it with 100 and have done abit of 4wd nothing to hectic.
Xr8tdd

Postby HK1837 on Tue, 09 Oct 2018 8:04 +0000

Those boxes are not really up to task, and if it has been used to tow or done sand 4x4 work especially in high range without a cooler AND never had a fluid change I cannot say I’m surprised.
If it was mine I’d try and get a used box and get it right and replace it with another Hilux with an A750F box that has been looked after, which means I think either a diesel soon after yours or any V6. The trouble though with any used part that is a known weak link is good used ones are expensive, hence why these aren’t cheap.Very much why Toyota B diesels or Nissan Z30 diesels are/were expensive used, opposed to Nissan Patrol diffs and transfers where wreckers had just about every one they ever wrecked still on the shelf.

There will be boxes around, just need to find a wrecker with a few. Have you tried these guys?
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/malaga/ ... 1126788285
HK1837

Return to Drive Train Components