Post Storage Pre-start Procedure

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Post Storage Pre-start Procedure

Postby kitdoctor on Wed, 30 May 2018 4:32 +0000

We plan on using our 2013 Hilux (SR5 diesel) in August and by then it would have been parked up in storage since about the same time in 2016. It's done 25k km. Still on first set of tyres. Stored with battery out of vehicle.

Apart from changing the oil and oil filter does anyone have any suggestions for a pre-start check and technique for starting it? A mechanic friend said to try to flood the new oil in by using a large funnel so that its backs up in the funnel.

The tyres have been regularly pumped up but should I be worried about them being dangerous?
kitdoctor

Re: Post Storage Pre-start Procedure

Postby Skrewdriver on Wed, 30 May 2018 6:15 +0000

Many years ago I had a VL Commodore in storage at my parents place for close to two and a half years. When I eventually decided to put it back on the road, I had to replace the battery, as it was stuffed. Other than that, I started it up, let idle for 20 minutes to circulate all of the oil, as it had all settled in the pan. After the 20 minute idle, I took it for a GENTLE drive for 100km.

Once the 100km was done, I done an oil change, topped up the tank with fresh fuel, then away we go.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana

E-Mail: pbialasinski@bigpond.com
Phone: (0407) 237723
Skrewdriver

Postby blatcho on Wed, 30 May 2018 8:10 +0000

you could disconnect the fuel solenoid so the engine will crank over a few times. Then hook the solenoid back up before starting this should allow the oil pump to purge the engine before having it actually fire
blatcho

Postby Critter350 on Wed, 30 May 2018 8:35 +0000

I think you’ll want to be weary of the fuel. After two years it may have gathered some moisture and potentially diesel bug. Consider draining the tank - when my son drowned his rodeo, we used an inline fuel pump through a filter and seperator bowl to pump the tank into drums. We got to the bottom and satisfied it was clean so put it back in. If it was petrol, I’d discard it but not sure if diesel goes stale.

Worth checking airbox for anything living in it. Same for cab filter behind the glove box.

Your tyres have flat spots where they’ve been sitting, but have a look over for signs of deterioration.

Good run over with grease gun, and maybe some air freshener if the cab smells a bit funky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critter350

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 31 May 2018 9:07 +0000

Pity you didn't change the oil for full synthetic BEFORE you stored it, there are more than a few nasties in used oil. Also a good idea to use fuel doctor in the fuel tank prior to storage. Otherwise just start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes and all should be good to go. Diesel fuel does go off after a while but as long as there's no gunk in it 2 years is OK in storage. Grease the driveshaft and your good to go.

Also a good time to fit a fuel prefilter to check for any nasty stuff in the tank.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby kitdoctor on Fri, 01 Jun 2018 6:13 +0000

Thanks for your responses guys. Great tips in there which I'll apply.
kitdoctor

Postby kitdoctor on Wed, 25 Jul 2018 9:41 +0000

blatcho wrote:you could disconnect the fuel solenoid so the engine will crank over a few times. Then hook the solenoid back up before starting this should allow the oil pump to purge the engine before having it actually fire

Would you be able to explain how to do this. Thanks
kitdoctor

Postby HK1837 on Wed, 25 Jul 2018 11:34 +0000

You'd want to give it whatever services were due while it has been sitting. Services aren't just by kM, they are my kM OR TIME, whichever comes first. So check what was due to be replaced by now in the service book and get it done. Will probably be limited to brake fluid, clutch fluid and coolant plus of course engine oil and filer but it won't hurt to get transmission fluid changed on a flushing machine if it is an auto and replaced with full synthetic like Valvoline Maxlife.

Not sure on the fuel, I've had petrol go stale but I only ever own petrol cars, I don't trust modern diesels. My old '57 Chevy sat for 20 years and the petrol went like tar!
HK1837

Postby jeremyparr on Wed, 25 Jul 2018 10:30 +0000

My 2007 diesel sat from 2012 until a few months ago when I bought it. It sat in humid conditions, with a nearly empty tank. Before purchasing, I told the owner I needed to see it run. All we did was put a new battery in it. Started right up. I of course replaced all fluids and filters after purchasing, but haven't had any issues.
jeremyparr

Postby martynvella on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 6:25 +0000

If your worried about the condition of the fuel, undo the water trap drain and pump the primer for a while and see what comes out of the drain.
martynvella

Return to Servicing