TRS build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: TRS build

Postby Tyler1993 on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 4:56 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:Thats an enormous effort for a first time weld project! 8-) Top stuff.
Now i have no excuse - will have to finish off my tub canopy cage design and get into it.

Definitely keen to see that Mate! I think that might be my next project.
I want to make a half canopy over the tub with a roof top tent that sits level with the cabin roof but also want to incorporate some bars so I can still put a tinny or the kayaks on top. Hmmmm will require abit more planning though I think!

Sam Gribley wrote:Mate that has really come up well, bloody good effort!

I'm not personally a fan of having things hanging off the back but I might do something similar for extra protection around the rear (after the 1/4 chop and many other things on the list hahaha). It does look bloody good though. Looks like you really maximise your use of space in the back too. Awesome work.

Thanks mate! I’m not really that keen on extending overall length either but the spare wouldn’t fit underneath anymore and I didn’t want to put it up top. Wanted to keep the rack free for the swags and kayaks and also not real happy about having the extra weight up there so this was my easy way out!
And yes it’s surprising how much you can tuck away in and around the draws and still have extra space on top!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler1993

Postby Tyler1993 on Thu, 21 Jun 2018 5:33 +0000

HELP!

Wiring up the rear tail lights in the bar and there’s an issue.
Everything works as per normal except the tail lights are very very dull. Only just glowing.
Checked all voltages, ground etc etc all seems normal.
However If I disconnect the stop wire the tail light brightens up like it should.
As soon as you touch the stop wire from the vehicle to the stop wire of the light (even when the brakes aren’t activated) the tail light dims...?

Has anyone got any suggestions or come across anything like this?

I have also tried running a seperate ground straight to the chassis.
Also tried running a seperate stop signal but tapped in before the stock tail lights.
Still no good..

Tyler1993

Postby Critter350 on Fri, 22 Jun 2018 10:08 +0000

Sounds like whatever your attaching the stop wire to is going to ground?
Check for shorts here, take bulb out etc.

Critter350

Postby Tyler1993 on Fri, 22 Jun 2018 5:45 +0000

My thoughts exactly crit. But the circuit tests fine. Was doing my my head in.
The problem is within the new led tail lights.
If they are completely removed everything is normal.
Tossing up wether to just have them operate as brake or tail lights and not both.
or I might just go back the the stock tail lights

Tyler1993

Postby Tyler1993 on Tue, 26 Jun 2018 3:48 +0000

Hey fellas what do you reckon?
Do you prefer the new led tail lights or the stock ones? I’m leaning towards just putting the stock ones back on [emoji23]
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tyler1993

Postby Cameron12 on Tue, 26 Jun 2018 4:27 +0000

The tint of the tail lights look good and you’re adding to the best hilux on this whole forum.
But the illuminated part of it is a bit too fancy, they look good simple.
I just bought a set from mars performance
https://www.marsperformance.com.au/Smok ... O-04-15-KS

Looking forward to see what they look like.
Cameron12

Postby Cobba7490 on Tue, 26 Jun 2018 7:19 +0000

Mate, i reckon keep the stockies. But, I'm a sucker for simplicity.
The MudBug: 1999 LN167R, 3.0L 5L, N/A diesel
The "BushRanger": 2002 KZN165R, 3.0L 1KZ-TE, turbo diesel
Cobba7490

Postby VMANN on Thu, 28 Jun 2018 9:47 +0000

Honestly, I like the stock tail lights, just my 2cents.
But I also, am a sucker for simplicity [emoji28]
WHEN IN DOUBT, GO FLAT OUT.
VMANN

Postby Caleebra on Fri, 29 Jun 2018 1:56 +0000

Personally i like the smoked ones as they remind me of the ones that you get on the Toyota Tacoma.
I've been running these for almost 3 year, but got a crack in one of them because of my stupidity :roll:

But really want to buy a set of the ones you've got.

- Arne from Norway here, glad to chat with you -

Instagram: @arnlux_adv
Facebook: - Arn's Lux Adventure -
:D
Caleebra

Postby Tyler1993 on Fri, 29 Jun 2018 6:34 +0000

Cheers for the response fellas! Appreciate it!
Still at 50-50 haha
Caleebra and Cameron I think I prefer those ones to the ones I have as they are still semi
Transparent. The ones I have are black.
Think I will keep the stock ones with led bulbs and maybe look at one of those other sets!

If anyone wants to pay shipping Ill give you these tail lights for free. They have been on a trip and have some pin stripes

Tyler1993

Postby Tyler1993 on Wed, 04 Jul 2018 4:33 +0000

Fitted the mudflaps this arvo. Was too lazy to take the wheels off to get the drill in there for the fixing holes so I staggered some ramps in the drain down the back.
ImageImage

On a side note the missus got a new car.
Flexed out on the gutter [emoji23][emoji23]

Tyler1993

Postby Caleebra on Wed, 04 Jul 2018 4:58 +0000

hahah, you are lazy! but great idea for not having to throw the wheels off :lol:
THAT FLEX on the new car! :shock: :lol:
- Arne from Norway here, glad to chat with you -

Instagram: @arnlux_adv
Facebook: - Arn's Lux Adventure -
:D
Caleebra

Postby scottellis88 on Sat, 14 Jul 2018 8:19 +0000

What rear suspension setup are you running, i have a 2” dobinsons/bilstein in mine and the rear does not droop down no way near what yours does. Mine feels like taking a shopping trolley Offroad
scottellis88

Postby Tyler1993 on Sun, 15 Jul 2018 4:18 +0000

Hey Scott, I have 2 inch EFS leafs and shocks. I’m not sure what kg rating they are as they were on the car when I bought it.
But the weight I have over them at the moment seems perfect. They work really well going up/down gutters the back is as soft as the front.
Before I had the drawers water tank etc they were abit stiffer and did not fully articulate. Have you got much weight over yours and do you know what rating they are?

I’m considering trialling some rg colorado leafs for more droop. But I’m worried I might go backwards in ride quality as it’s spot on at the moment.
I should be able to get abit more droop out of these leafs as at the moment the shocks are limiting down travel

Tyler1993

Postby scottellis88 on Mon, 16 Jul 2018 9:38 +0000

To be honest i have no idea what rating the leafs are? :cry: i only have the style side tub, and maybe two toolboxes which i doubt even equal 100kg. Maybe i do have too hard leafs, it does make sense now you mention it.
scottellis88

TRS build

Postby Tyler1993 on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 6:53 +0000

Cairns show long weekend, managed to get away for a few days to a new spot. It was magical. Sorry about the pictures was too busy kicking back to take many, these are screenshots from videos.
Also threw a new light bar I got for cheap in the front of the roof rack. It’s only for 4wding at night. Just to light up everything right in front of me where as the spotties only illuminate a small section directly in front.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tyler1993

Postby DeadlyBeast on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 7:12 +0000

Great spot there
Good to see you making good use of the rig 8-)
DeadlyBeast

Postby Critter350 on Sat, 28 Jul 2018 10:35 +0000

Awesome spot.

Critter350

Postby Tyler1993 on Sat, 04 Aug 2018 10:21 +0000

Okay, so last trip was the first time I busted out my kings solar blanket. There is no instructions whatsoever as to what the regulator menus/settings are. But that wasn’t the problem.
After a few two many beers I decided to whip her out and the boys and I proceeded to set her up. While I was trying to work out the regulator the boys hooked up the battery and panels.... big mistake [emoji23]

Not originally knowing what the menus were all seemed well.

18.7v in one menu (assumed this was the solar panels)

12.8v in another. (Assumed this was the battery)

13.7 in another (assumed this was the charge it was trying to put in)

Boy was I wrong.
Wake up the next morning start brekky and check voltages. Fridge is off and flashing error, aux battery is at 10.2v I’m thinking what is going on!! Usually I only have to start the car on the third day.
Any way looking around checking everything (with a very sore head I might add)
The bloody wombats have plugged the battery into where the panels should be and the panels where the battery goes. Anyway just linked the batteries for the day to get to keep the beers cold.
But what I think happened is during the day it was reading the battery to be 18v.
The panels to be 12.8v so it wasn’t charging at all.
When the sun goes down, panels drop to 0v (which it thinks is the battery)
So it pulls from the battery to try and charge the panels [emoji23]
So ended up cooking the aux battery. Must’ve dropped a cell as it sits between 8-10v.

So I’m up for a new battery, decided to go with a deep cycle AGM that has three years warranty (still covers installed under the bonnet if charged by a dc dc charger)
Knowing that the alternator can’t fully charge an AGM I needed to get one anyway.
At the moment I’m looking at the ctek d250sa has anyone got one of these and what do you think?

I know it has an inbuilt isolator to disconnect starting and aux when the engine is off.
What I still want to keep is the ability to emergency link the the batteries with the button in the cab to get started if the starter dies.
Has anyone done this with the ctek?
I’ve read some dc dc chargers do not like doing this as it can backfired and cook the electronics.

Also side note the old charge indicators don’t work very well. Still saying green at 5.8v
On my other battery the charge indicator has been red for the last year. Had it load tested twice and properly charged by supercharge (trying to claim warranty) but it tests fine.

Tyler1993

TRS build

Postby Tyler1993 on Wed, 08 Aug 2018 5:34 +0000

Well decided to pull the battery tray out and check it after reading a lot of cases of them cracking the wheel arch.
Decided to do this because I’m planning on putting an agm in it and know they aren’t rated for the weight.
Once the battery was out I could clearly see why they crack the body.
You can wobble the battery tray around so easily the legs are very flimsy would hate to watch it over corrugations with the weight of the battery.
I have a crack in the wheel arch, not sure if it’s from the battery or not.
Also the battery tray only mounts in 3 places. Really allowing it to twist.

Also the welds on the legs were very rusty. And one of the drain holes had clogged up and rusted out. I decided to redo one and strengthen another, also add two more legs to spread the weight to stabilise and strengthen the battery tray.
ImageImage

I also cut out a section for the new pre fuel filter bracket that I have waiting to go in.

Tyler1993

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups