Indicators going beserk, no dash lights after hitting water

Indicators going beserk, no dash lights after hitting water

Postby Squidgie on Wed, 16 May 2018 1:37 +0000

Hi guys, recently purchased my first hilux its a 2005 sr dual cab. Did a trip out to a local national park over mayday weekend, went through a puddle a bit to quick which had a sneaky deep rut in the middle and now my blinkers go flat out when indicating? If i turn hazards on they work perfectly in sync and at the right speed and when unlocking and locking car they act as they should? then a few days later i came back from fishing to get in the car to find that my dash lights such as the speedo/revs/ fuel guage and all the lights on the aircon switches are off but i still have the warning lights such as handbrake/ fuel light etc?? Obviously because of how it happened im assuming there is some water up in there somewhere but hoping i could get some advice on what its likely to be and how to fix it? Auto elec or toyota themselves? Shes due for her 190 k service soon so was thinking of just taking it to toyota and let them do the whole lot but dont want to be charged and arm and a leg just to find out i should go to an auto elec.
Appreciate any info or ideas, thanks in advanced. ( also if anyone has same model and remembers a ballpark figure for 190k service , assuming nothing major has happened that would also be greatly appreciated! ) :D
Squidgie

Re: Indicators going beserk, no dash lights after hitting wa

Postby flip9 on Thu, 17 May 2018 8:46 +0000

If its got a tow bar/trailer plug have a look at it and clean it out. When it shorts out the lights go funny.

Also check the wires connecting to it is in good nick.
flip9

Postby martynvella on Fri, 18 May 2018 5:58 +0000

As above for the indicators and maybe the front indicator/park plugs may have picked up a bit of silt.

The warning lights on the dash might be a bit more concerning, is the battery light one of the ones that comes on? Usually means the alternator has troubles, they are prone to brushes sticking, if your handy with the spanners it is possible to remove the alternator, then its rear cover and remove the brush holder and jiggle the brushes in and out with some WD40 till they are nice and free then rinse in petrol, and give the sliprings a touch up by holding some emery tape on them with your finger and turning the rotor, if the bearings feel ok and the clutched pulley is still nice and smooth its worth a go. Also clean the rectifier without removing it taking care not to wash the dirt into the alternator. As with any electrical component removal, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST.

Oh and to answer your question, get a sparky to look at it, always cheaper than the dealers.
martynvella

Postby Squidgie on Sat, 19 May 2018 1:09 +0000

Thanks Flip and Martyn will give both of those a go, if no luck its going in for a general service at toyota on tuesday so will get them to sus it out as i have a smashed fog light, spottie and headlight from a suicidal kangaroo and i think its all stemming from that somehow as we hit the roo just after the puddle and at first i thought it was the water causing damage but i think its more to do with the lights affecting everything else. First car, first hilux and first post so thanks for helping me out guys.
Squidgie

Return to Electrical