Electrically disconnecting the front Diff - ADD models only

Re: Electrically disconnecting the front diff - SR5 only

Postby SpinnerDan on Sun, 31 Dec 2017 9:13 +0000

All primed to do this mod... made easy by all the good advice here on the forum. :) The hardest thing about doing this mod is finding a switch that fits into the blank space on the dash (in the switch bank slots below the ash tray). I've been to all the local auto shops and sussed out various different switches but nothing seems to fit neatly in the blank slots of my 2014 SR5. I'm not gonna put in a relay to run a light-up switch - just a simple on/off rocker switch is all I'm after.

What have others used? Have you needed to modify or shave off part of the dash panel to get the switch body to fit? This was supposed to be my little project for my day off but has turned out to be unnecessarily complicated coz I can't find a damn switch!
SpinnerDan

Postby martynvella on Sun, 31 Dec 2017 11:36 +0000

look at "air on board" on ebay
martynvella

Postby SC162 on Fri, 26 Jan 2018 9:37 +0000

So after reading through all this I gave it a go, seemed pretty straight forward, but is there a way to test that it is disengaging without jacking the car off the ground? 4wd dash light turns off but I was kinda hoping I would be able to free spin the drive shaft after disconnecting it, or if the light turns off it should be all sweet?
Cheers
SC162

Postby hylux on Fri, 26 Jan 2018 2:14 +0000

Only way is jack one wheel off the ground but if the light is off should be ok
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby nicebike on Sat, 27 Jan 2018 5:34 +0000

SC162 wrote:So after reading through all this I gave it a go, seemed pretty straight forward, but is there a way to test that it is disengaging without jacking the car off the ground? 4wd dash light turns off but I was kinda hoping I would be able to free spin the drive shaft after disconnecting it, or if the light turns off it should be all sweet?
Cheers

If the transfer case is in neutral, or in 2wd, and you have the ADD disconnected, you should be able to turn the shaft by hand. If the transfer case is still in gear, or in 4wd, the shaft won't turn, even though it is disconnected at the front.
nicebike

Postby SC162 on Sun, 28 Jan 2018 6:17 +0000

That explains it then, thanks
SC162

Postby xychix on Fri, 23 Feb 2018 4:50 +0000

SpinnerDan wrote:All primed to do this mod... made easy by all the good advice here on the forum. :) The hardest thing about doing this mod is finding a switch that fits into the blank space on the dash (in the switch bank slots below the ash tray). I've been to all the local auto shops and sussed out various different switches but nothing seems to fit neatly in the blank slots of my 2014 SR5. I'm not gonna put in a relay to run a light-up switch - just a simple on/off rocker switch is all I'm after.

What have others used? Have you needed to modify or shave off part of the dash panel to get the switch body to fit? This was supposed to be my little project for my day off but has turned out to be unnecessarily complicated coz I can't find a damn switch!

I bought a random fitting switch from a chinese site. painted it black and went to al local laser etching shop with my own design.

https://www.banggood.com/OEM-Replacemen ... rehouse=CN

that's the url for random switches.

if ur in .au

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Push-switch ... 1670618971

thats the one to do i guess.
xychix

Postby Pizza on Fri, 23 Feb 2018 6:38 +0000

Any you guys tried this with the n80?
Pizza

Postby nicebike on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 5:22 +0000

Pizza wrote:Any you guys tried this with the n80?

Look behind the glove box. It MAY all be the same.
nicebike

Re: Electrically disconnecting the front Diff - ADD models o

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 25 Feb 2018 3:05 +0000

Title edited for clarity
ADD models include SR5 + late 2012 SR on
DeadlyBeast

Postby Scoobalimalima on Sun, 22 Apr 2018 5:23 +0000

Wired this up today on my 2015 SR. Works a treat!

Not sure if this has already been covered but I found a place online that does a custom 2WD LOW RANGE illuminated push button switch that matches the existing OEM switches. I've got mine on order :)

http://www.aironboard.com.au/store/prod ... tches.html

Cheers,

SLL
Scoobalimalima

Postby SpinnerDan on Sat, 07 Jul 2018 9:33 +0000

Scoobalimalima wrote:Wired this up today on my 2015 SR. Works a treat!

Not sure if this has already been covered but I found a place online that does a custom 2WD LOW RANGE illuminated push button switch that matches the existing OEM switches. I've got mine on order :)

Cheers,

SLL

Hi SLL (or anyone else who knows)
I got one of these switches from aironboard and it looks great. Just gotta wire it up now. I've tested the switch and it illuminates (closes the circuit) when the switch is pressed in (like any typical switch). So this is the opposite to what we want because we want to interrupt the circuit in order to disconnect the front diff. Not a great problem except that I need to turn OFF the switch to disconnect the front diff - so this means the 2WD Low Range light is ON when it's actually in 4WD, and the light is OFF when I'll be in 2WD. That'll confuse my brain, which wants the light to go ON when I'm in Low Range 2WD.

So, I gather from earlier posts in this thread that I need a NC relay in-line between the ADD wire. Easy enough. My question is, do I need to connect up power to the switch directly to operate the NC relay? Or is the power running through the black wire of the ADD all that is required?

Sorry for the rookie question but I'm no sparky.
SpinnerDan

Postby nicebike on Sun, 08 Jul 2018 6:34 +0000

My head hurts :lol:

This why I put a simple On/Off switch on the black wire. Went through the same exercise that you describe and decided it wasn't worth the mucking around and the complication.
nicebike

Electrically disconnecting the front Diff - ADD models only

Postby Scoobalimalima on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 10:36 +0000

You’ll need a separate 12v supply to power the coil of the relay. Do not use the power from the black wire for the ADD.

Your switch is illuminating when closed, ok so that’s fine as the closed circuit is the separate 12v supply, this 12 supply is energizing the relay coil. All you are doing with the black wire is trying to break the circuit, this is achieved by the NC contacts of the relay which is operated via the coil of the relay, so when you press your switch, it’s on and the light illuminates and will make your NC contacts become open thereby open circuiting the black ADD wire.

Quite easy really (although I am a sparky [emoji38])

SLL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoobalimalima

Postby SpinnerDan on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 8:28 +0000

Scoobalimalima wrote:You’ll need a separate 12v supply to power the coil of the relay. Do not use the power from the black wire for the ADD.

Your switch is illuminating when closed, ok so that’s fine as the closed circuit is the separate 12v supply, this 12 supply is energizing the relay coil. All you are doing with the black wire is trying to break the circuit, this is achieved by the NC contacts of the relay which is operated via the coil of the relay, so when you press your switch, it’s on and the light illuminates and will make your NC contacts become open thereby open circuiting the black ADD wire.

Thanks mate, yeah that makes sense to me. To confirm, I've got the switch's +ve wire and -ve wire to connect the switch to 12v supply, then the other wire that will deliver that power to operate the relay coil when I press the switch in. I then need to run an addition wire from the other relay coil pin to earth to complete that circuit?

Relays seem like little magic boxes to me... I appreciate your advice.
SpinnerDan

Postby xychix on Thu, 16 Aug 2018 2:33 +0000

SpinnerDan wrote:
Scoobalimalima wrote:Wired this up today on my 2015 SR. Works a treat!

Cheers,

SLL

Hi SLL (or anyone else who knows)
I got one of these switches from aironboard and it looks great. Just gotta wire it up now. I've tested the switch and it illuminates (closes the circuit) when the switch is pressed in (like any typical switch). So this is the opposite to what we want because we want to interrupt the circuit in order to disconnect the front diff.

I went trough the hassle of opening up the switch, breaking the circuit lines and rewire the switch and lighting options.

My 2wd button does nothing if not pressed. in 2wd drive it does NOT light up when pressed, but as soon as the 4wd is engaged it will light up if the button is in the pressed position and disengage ADD. The internals for my switch didn't open or close but connect trough to leg A or B (where B was not used, which is the position in the OFF mode)

(i basically reused the ADD ground wire to ground the LED (so no ground for ADD but give that ground to LED in that case)
xychix

Postby bruyaka on Thu, 29 Aug 2019 4:58 +0000

Old thread but great mod guys . Had my 2013 SR for 15 months and really missed the electric 2-4WD switch on my 2004 SR5 . Especially as I have a camper trailer to reverse on tracks and even my 60m sloped drive .[High ratio 1st and reverse :cry: ] and just in light off road stuff. It was even on my son's 1990 Surf, don't know why it's not standard :idea: [cost I guess]. Did a 17000k trip last year and a couple smelly clutch occasions :x .
Excedy safari ordered ,E locker ordered and now this mod and all should be sweeter . My latest has June 2013 build , flares , 17" wheels and TC and as suggested on the forum perhaps ADD . Sure has :D :D .Can't wait to get it all on with a snorkel and breathers and head nth to Nhulumbuy over the next few months and the Cape next year .
In the last few weeks I have really appreciated the topics on this forum . Old and new . Thanks
bruyaka

Postby webbo on Fri, 11 Oct 2019 3:26 +0000

Has anyone managed to do this mod on the post 2016> gen8 models with the switchable 4wd system yet and if so can you let me know how you did it?

The 4WD Ecu on the later models is different to the SR5 with a second gear lever, and the Ecu has multiple functions, not just 4WD

Thanks
webbo

Postby xychix on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 8:17 +0000

webbo wrote:Is this the same for the Gen8 2016> ?

seems gen8 is different. It has the option to 'blink' the 4wd switch if gearbox and add arent in sync (gearbox in 4wd and add still in 2wd).

We've had major hassle with this on an 8 gen Hilux during our cape north trip. Conclusion, on the gen8 the add talks back to the ecu (can be as simple as a contact gauge at the end of the add to determine positon) and if the result is unexpected the light will blink and you are most likely to be stuk in 2H of 4H. Also the option to go to LOW is then disabled.

Believe the driver did fiddle out a sequence of switching gears to 'resync' the computer and make it work again..... :geek:
xychix

Postby Pedro L on Thu, 26 Mar 2020 3:27 +0000

Hi Guys, mi first post here in this forum!
The amount of information about our pick ups is great.

Im from Argentina and here, Hilux from 2005 to 2015 are three different models.
DX 2.5 turbo diesel engine (2kd)
SR 3.0 Turbo Diesel (1KD)
SRV 3.0 Turbo Diesel (1KD)

All versions in 4x2 or 4x4.

I have an SR 4x4 and want to do this to disconnect the front diff. Reading this post I found that someone said that blue cable is the one we have to cut, and others said is the black one.
in my truck, (I do have add) in the 4wd control there are 9 cables, not 6. So I dont know which is the difference, why there are 3 more cables? and which one is the correct I should cut?

cheers
Pedro L

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks