Pillar pods

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Pillar pods

Postby Corey williams on Fri, 24 Nov 2017 7:50 +0000

Just needing to know how strict are the cops on pillar pod gauges and are they illegal

Also need a few good suggestions on decent gauge brands
Corey williams

Re: Pillar pods

Postby Tyler1993 on Fri, 24 Nov 2017 9:15 +0000

Not too sure on the legalities, but I've been pulled up a couple of times and they've never said anything. They also didn't say anything about everything else on my car either.
Would definitely recommend redarc on quality and looks, but it kind of depends what you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler1993

Postby Glenrod on Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:42 +0000

Does yours have air bags lurking behind the cover/trim on the A pillar? Mine does so I definitely won't be fitting anything to that location. I would think an exhaust temp gauge between the eyes propelled at 300 kph by a deploying air bag could spoil your day somewhat.

As far as the legality goes I think the only criteria is that it mustn't impede your vision from the drivers seat but probably a good idea to ask either the cops or Dept of Transport inspection depot if you are worried.

Cheers
Pop
Glenrod

Postby fracturedranga on Tue, 28 Nov 2017 2:17 +0000

I got a dual one from 4x4 concepts i think. I called them and they told me its airbag compliant. The airbag deploys through the seal on the door side and the pod slips over the standard pillar trim and is very thin on that side. No chamce of eating a guage in a prang or your cop the grab bar as well
fracturedranga

Postby where'smycat on Tue, 08 Oct 2019 12:11 +0000

Old thread, but I was thinking of a dual pillar pod and decided to contact RMS about legalities 'cause I'm SAS'd on 35's and draw enough attention as it is (ute has been engineered, but don't want to give them anything they can get me for).

The technical enquires dept sent me this

So, my question to the guys with dual pillar pods, do the 2 pods fall in this space?
where'smycat

Postby Myralga on Wed, 09 Oct 2019 7:33 +0000

where'smycat wrote:Old thread, but I was thinking of a dual pillar pod and decided to contact RMS about legalities 'cause I'm SAS'd on 35's and draw enough attention as it is (ute has been engineered, but don't want to give them anything they can get me for).

The technical enquires dept sent me this

So, my question to the guys with dual pillar pods, do the 2 pods fall in this space?

This is seriously interesting.

Because technically a device such as ARB Linx System is considered an additional control aka a digital display.

Therefore based on what your saying all these units should be inside this space?

And in saying that what about vehicles that display information on the Centre console like fancy Audi’s BMW’s and pocket rockets. Is it below dash line and therefore ok??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Return to General Discussion