2016 Hilux Tail shaft Thud/Thunk/Clunk

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: 2016 Hilux Tail shaft Thud/Thunk/Clunk

Postby RockWall on Thu, 15 Jun 2017 5:51 +0000

Got the vehicle back today and the result is all good, no clunk, thud or shudder and drives like it should.
Service dept explained that the slip joint spline has been machined a little more, to spec provided by HO, another firmware update to the tranny and some grease etc.
Hope it's a permanent fix because it really does drive a treat. :D
RockWall

Postby Beta on Mon, 19 Jun 2017 8:33 +0000

I asked my local dealer the other day who had been speaking with the Toyota Service Rep. He explained that Toyota know that the replacement shaft is only a temporary fix and does not completely solve the problem long term and that they are doing another fix in the pipeline. It sounds like they have realised that they should have kept the grease nipples on the shaft, I'm leaning toward that this will be the next fix....................
Beta

Postby HiluxPRO on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 9:17 +0000

Hi guys, first post for me :) I have a 2016 Hilux bought in Sept and mine too has the clunk when coming to a stop and again on take off. I took it into Toyota 5 weeks ago and I let the service manager drive my car to feel the clunk. I didn't realise it was such a widespread problem till reading all these pages about it!! I was relieved as well when the dealer mentioned Toyota knew about this. Apparently my build has the updated part in it - but obviously the updated part still has the clunk. I'll be letting them know that the grease has not fixed it and will be mentioning to them to machine the slip joint spline like some of you have mentioned...
HiluxPRO

Postby ih8ubarney on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 5:27 +0000

HiluxPRO wrote:Hi guys, first post for me :) I have a 2016 Hilux bought in Sept and mine too has the clunk when coming to a stop and again on take off. I took it into Toyota 5 weeks ago and I let the service manager drive my car to feel the clunk. I didn't realise it was such a widespread problem till reading all these pages about it!! I was relieved as well when the dealer mentioned Toyota knew about this. Apparently my build has the updated part in it - but obviously the updated part still has the clunk. I'll be letting them know that the grease has not fixed it and will be mentioning to them to machine the slip joint spline like some of you have mentioned...

I'd be checking the part number on your tail shaft...Have a look back in this thread cause people have posted pics of the old and new part number, I haven't had an issue since the newer part number tail shaft was installed
ih8ubarney

Postby HiluxPRO on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 9:11 +0000

ih8ubarney wrote:
HiluxPRO wrote:Hi guys, first post for me :) I have a 2016 Hilux bought in Sept and mine too has the clunk when coming to a stop and again on take off. I took it into Toyota 5 weeks ago and I let the service manager drive my car to feel the clunk. I didn't realise it was such a widespread problem till reading all these pages about it!! I was relieved as well when the dealer mentioned Toyota knew about this. Apparently my build has the updated part in it - but obviously the updated part still has the clunk. I'll be letting them know that the grease has not fixed it and will be mentioning to them to machine the slip joint spline like some of you have mentioned...

I'd be checking the part number on your tail shaft...Have a look back in this thread cause people have posted pics of the old and new part number, I haven't had an issue since the newer part number tail shaft was installed
Yep I checked it yesterday and I definitely have the updated part. Interesting how you don't have it and yours is the updated part. How many Km's does your Hilux have? . I have raised it with the dealer again and I have asked them to raise it with Toyota. As the dealer has advised they have done everything they can do as Toyota has asked dealerships to not change those with the updated part.

Mine has part number 37100-0K820-00 which is the updated part.
HiluxPRO

Postby ih8ubarney on Sun, 16 Jul 2017 7:49 +0000

Yep that's the part I have, had the clunk pretty much from the start, they re greased it, shaved it but the clunk always came back, think I finally got the new part at 15000k service, now have just over 20000 and no issue since the new part
ih8ubarney

Postby HiluxPRO on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:27 +0000

ih8ubarney wrote:Yep that's the part I have, had the clunk pretty much from the start, they re greased it, shaved it but the clunk always came back, think I finally got the new part at 15000k service, now have just over 20000 and no issue since the new part
Ok give it another 5000 or so kilometres as mine started having issues at the first service interval of 10,000kms.
HiluxPRO

Postby heavymental on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 3:52 +0000

So I'm getting a new tail shaft put in today. After nearly a year and a half of re greasing. Hoping the proper fix is out before my warrant is out in another year and a half.
heavymental

Postby HiluxPRO on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 9:04 +0000

heavymental wrote:So I'm getting a new tail shaft put in today. After nearly a year and a half of re greasing. Hoping the proper fix is out before my warrant is out in another year and a half.
They made you wait a long time heavymental. I don't find the re-greasing does help that much. Does reduce the clunk a bit, but in my case I could still feel the clunk. I reckon if you have issues outside of your warranty they should cover it as you've had issues with the same part before the warranty cover ends.
HiluxPRO

Postby Allords on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:46 +0000

Hey Heavy
Who in WA are you using?

I have the same issue, and would like to use someone that knows / has done this repair/fix/upgrade
Allords

Postby heavymental on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 11:04 +0000

Allords wrote:Hey Heavy
Who in WA are you using?

I have the same issue, and would like to use someone that knows / has done this repair/fix/upgrade

I kept going back to my dealer - Galleria Toyota. They did the re-grease 3 times and the issue would come back after 1,000km. There was a bit of push back but got there eventually.

Got the car back yesterday. Seems fine. I'm not hopeful it's a permanent fix. i'm having squeaky brake issues too which i'll be raising for the 4th time again at next service. i find that if you explain to them you're well aware of what's going on and throw some technical jargon at the front counter and tell them you don't want excuses ...they kind of back off the normal BS.
heavymental

Postby Allords on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 1:13 +0000

Thanks heavy.

Im close to Galleria......

Ive tried driving around the issue. i.e. slowing right down and coming to a slow stop ( when i can).
i don't get the thump doing this when stopped. But taking off and..... BAM!

Coming to a stop normally, and its BAM! as soon as i stop, but then nothing on take off
Allords

Postby Benny_886 on Tue, 01 Aug 2017 6:08 +0000

Just come back from a trip from Bathurst back to Tweed Heads (900km approx.) and my Hilux too has developed this lovely noise, it clunks a couple off times on take off and reverse.
I've had my lift in for just on 12months and just clicked over 30K and never had a drama. Took the vehicle into to a mechanic first to only how me how much the motor and the trans was moving under stopping load and taking off.
Had the Hilux at Toyota today where they pulled the tail shaft out and re-greased and still the clunking and banging is there. The dealer was kinda hinting towards the lift kit was contributing, but being lifted for over 12 months and done buy a guy that builds off-road race vehicles and has probably forgotten more about suspension then what a Toyota tech will ever know, I don't recon the lift is the problem. And I dare say most of you fellas on here with this problem have had your hiluxes lifted.
So I recon I'll have to go through the notions of trying to get a new tail shaft.
Benny_886

Postby HiluxPRO on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 6:50 +0000

Benny_886 wrote:Just come back from a trip from Bathurst back to Tweed Heads (900km approx.) and my Hilux too has developed this lovely noise, it clunks a couple off times on take off and reverse.
I've had my lift in for just on 12months and just clicked over 30K and never had a drama. Took the vehicle into to a mechanic first to only how me how much the motor and the trans was moving under stopping load and taking off.
Had the Hilux at Toyota today where they pulled the tail shaft out and re-greased and still the clunking and banging is there. The dealer was kinda hinting towards the lift kit was contributing, but being lifted for over 12 months and done buy a guy that builds off-road race vehicles and has probably forgotten more about suspension then what a Toyota tech will ever know, I don't recon the lift is the problem. And I dare say most of you fellas on here with this problem have had your hiluxes lifted.
So I recon I'll have to go through the notions of trying to get a new tail shaft.

It's not the lift, as my Hilux is completely Stock and started the clunk not long before the first 10,000km service. I have the updated part but it still does it. Also got an anooying clunky auto which can be clunky when changing from Park to Drive.

Have you got the updated tail shaft in your Hilux?
HiluxPRO

Postby Allords on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 4:26 +0000

I'm booked in for Monday.
Something to do with splines/ slip joints?, and the tolerances, hence some have had them machined.
First fix is to remove and grease them. If that doesn't fix it, then its a replacement, apparently its a case of "some do, some don't"
mine started at 20000kms. 2015 year model
Allords

Postby Benny_886 on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 5:35 +0000

Cheers HiluxPro. Not sure on the serial number on the tail shaft, flew back to work today. Might try a different dealership on the GC and hit them up for a new tail shaft if I have the old one. Hopefully my engine fan doesn't go through the radiator in the mean time.
Benny_886

Postby HiluxPRO on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 8:31 +0000

Allords - I'd say the 2015 Hilux has the old tail shaft design, so they probably will update it, but they want to grease it first which I found didn't do much really, I could still feel the clunk.

Benny_888 - I'm still suffering on the new design tail shaft and my 2016 Hilux still has the clunk. My local dealership have been told by Toyota to not do anything apart from greasing the spline - which doesn't do anything really. What year is your Hilux?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HiluxPRO

Postby Rossiter on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 8:34 +0000

Re: 2016 Hilux Tailsahft Clunk

I have a 2013 hilux SR5 which i have owned for just over a year and has this exact same problem which has been looked at a couple of times but has been explained as "simply an over greased tailshaft spline". Having done a mechanical trade some years ago I did find this to be somewhat hard to comprehend but having read some of the posts here I may take some advice from here and see if the mechanics would like to have a closer look at the spline on the tailshaft. Might have been lucky to get the extended warranty! cheers for the advice
Rossiter

Postby Benny_886 on Thu, 03 Aug 2017 9:16 +0000

HiluxPro: my hilux is a 2016, purchased in may, not sure on the build month. Maybe I should have brought a Great Wall :lol:
Benny_886

Postby HiluxPRO on Fri, 04 Aug 2017 5:49 +0000

Haha the life span of those is not very long!

You possibly would have the updated part. If so, my dealer in Brisbane has said there is nothing they can do and now said they shouldn't be re-greasing it. I've asked them to raise it with Toyota. Hopefully they will do something about it - if enough people complain about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HiluxPRO

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components