Mhannn's 2012 hi(km)lux

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Mhannn's 2012 hi(km)lux

Postby mhannn on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 10:27 +0000

Hey guys. After a forced sabbatical from toyota ownership thanks to a roo accident, I'm back. This time with a 2012 1kd manual single cab. I picked this up from a friends brother for an absolute steal, due to the 497,000 klms. They had three of these hilux's and a ranger coming to the end of their service as veterinary delivery vehicles, fitted with refrigerated bodies. I purchased site unseen then a few weeks later got to take it for a test drive while it was in the process of being decommissioned, (fridge back, driver monitoring, radios and accesories etc removed) and was pleasently suprised with how it drove. I was expecting it to be rattly and a bit of a mess, but if I hadn't have looked at the odo I wouldn't have been able to tell it had those sort of miles. I took a list of parts it would need for rwc and set about sorting out a tray.

The tray was unsold stock from a friends business and had been gathering dust in a storage shed. It was built to suit a VDJ79 cruiser, and as such the headboard was far too high for the cab. We split it, widened the top post, made a ladder rack and sent it off for powdercoating.
With the tray fitted I set about preparing it for rwc and giving it a small tidy up. Rwc items were typical of any work ute, replaced brake shoes, skimmed the drums, a few bulbs, replace the bullbar indicator etc, it had also suffered from a clock spring failure, on my last dual cab this was done as a recall, but this model was not recalled. As it had steering wheel controls the part replacement cost from toyota was astronomical, about 500 i think. I sourced one from Machter for $50 delivered and it works perfectly. Cosmetically it needed a console panel as the driver monitoring system had been cut in there, pulled the bullbar straight from a wildlife incident, replace the grille badge, gave it a wash and fitted a dual battery tray, will put the sb12 from my last ute in it shortly.
I fitted my toolboxes, and with a few bits I had lying around made some courtesy lights for the drivers side box. Used a spdt door switch with a long arm on the top rib to contact the door when open and have a push button to override Pretty happy with how it turned out, although I would like to replace the LED strips with warm white, the ones I had on hand are cool white and have a very blue colour. Being as though there has been a few ute break ins and trailer thefts lately I would also like to hook up a central locking mech and an alarm via the door switch, but I don't really like this toolbox and will hopefully be upgrading soon so I may hold off until then.
When I purchased this thing I had planned on rebuilding it before I registered it, but I just cant warrant it at this stage, it drives great, no injector rattle, no smoke and feels quite strong. With the car I got the service history and to my suprise it has had very little work aside from general maintenance. A gearbox in the high 200's, an alternator recently, timing belts every 150k and a few insignificant items but no injectors, no turbo. I put this down to it having the same driver from new and only ever doing rural deliveries which are long trips. They had a pretty stout driver monitoring system and a very strict company vehicle policy so I'm sure that helped too.
I'll keep the maintenance up and see how many klms can be dragged out of it. Sure, it might blow up tomorrow but I'm quite interested in seeing how far it will go. I've decided that ill replace any ancillary parts that let go, but any short block damage and it'll be pulled for a full rebuild, although i do have a 1uzfe sitting here doing nothing.
No grand plans for this thing, Just a comfortable work hack that will do some light touring duties.

mhannn

Re: Mhannn's 2012 hi(km)lux

Postby SupremeHilux on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 12:27 +0000

That a bloody impressive amount of kms. i bought my 12 lux with nearly 200K and I thought that was a lot.
SupremeHilux

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 1:21 +0000

Nice one man.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby hartster on Thu, 06 Jul 2017 10:10 +0000

Here in Otago NZ there's a 2007 single cab KUN26R with canopy, bright yellow & red rural Courier Postie's vehicle. Same driver since new. Vehicle recently ticked over the magic million, was celebrated in fine style at the pub which is where we heard about it. Vehicle does ~450km a day, 5-6 days a week depending, every week of the year. His son does the round when he's on holiday.

Engine - allegedly untouched, original everything. Does sound pretty agricultural now. Says he never turns off the motor on the run, just the one cold start in the morning. Always and only ever fueled up at his own on-farm Allied fuel tank and old postie knows a thing or too about maintaining very very strict fuel quality. Engine oil change every second week (~5000km), uses Mobil Delvac. New filter once a month. Proper tyre rotation with every oil change. Greases the driveline, tightens the handbrake etc. Just pops it up on the hoist, all done in half an hour. Has an oil catch can on the crankcase gas line but isn't Provent, something else. Its on its third gearbox which is his only major gripe. Very, very little other work done other than regular consumables. Runs 225/16 Toyo Open Country LT tyres at 40/45psi, gets about 90-100,000km a set?!? Considering a fair bit of the daily round is on gravel roads in rain, snow and black ice, he's done well... Vehicle will be retired at the end of this year, with the postie, who is not renewing his contract in favour of some fishing time.

I know of several 500,000km+ KUNs running around here. Contractor vehicles, owner operated. These blokes leave 'em bog standard and care for them like they're family. Hilux rules this part of the world.
2013 Hilux KUN26R DC, 2010 Kluger GSU45R, 2006 Prado GRJ120R, 1993 Hilux VZN130R
hartster

Postby fish351 on Thu, 06 Jul 2017 9:20 +0000

Love the story. No fuss no muss. 1 million is huge in this day and age considering the planned obsolescence built into all mechanical stuff these days.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
fish351

Postby hartster on Fri, 07 Jul 2017 3:25 +0000

It is huge but I'm not sure very high mileage is as uncommon as I might have thought what with our injector woes and crapped out turbos and bunged up EGRs and so on. There are 1KDs in Hiace in particular that do outrageous miles and have very very few problems along the way. I asked our local Toyota dealer principal and he said the same as old Postie - fuel quality, regular services, engine at operating temp all the time, keep it stock. Engine coolant was the one he emphasised as well. We all know about fuel quality but hearing about controlling your own fuel quality by running your own hi-tech tanks, with reliable bulk fuel delivery and high fuel turnover, with all the filtering and water /sediment/algae checks under the sun... makes sense to me. My injectors were replaced under warranty at 42,000km thanks to dodgy ouback fuel !!!! And thats with prefiltering and a new factory filter every 10,000km !!!

I think what mhannn has acheived with his unusual build is really cool, a thought provoking thread, eh. How many of us are turned off at first glance by "high" mileage cars at 250,000 more or less. I think mhannn has proven again that ownership and service history are everything, not like we don't know this but great to have a cool build as a reminder.
2013 Hilux KUN26R DC, 2010 Kluger GSU45R, 2006 Prado GRJ120R, 1993 Hilux VZN130R
hartster

Postby mhannn on Sun, 09 Jul 2017 6:53 +0000

Thanks Hartster! Big mile 1kd's are definitely out there, and in every instance I have seen they have been used in a commercial setting with no aftermarket safety measures such as additional fuel filters etc. Unfortunately I suspect my use will be this ones downfall, At present I am working on a job in town only a few klms from home and the two short drives a day won't be doing it any favours. Having others turned off by the mileage worked to my advantage, meaning I could get it for a steal and I doubt I will ever sell it given it's replacement cost. Should I want to upgrade one day this can go out to pasture on the farm and retire shifting bales at walking pace.
It's at 499,989 today. I was hoping on servicing this weekend, but I am doing an oil sample to satisfy my curiosity and it hasn't arrived in the mail yet. Will post results when I get it back. I'm using Penrite oils all round, except the diffs which will be Nulon. Westfil air filter, cooper oil and genuine fuel filter. After the service I will be popping it on a friends dyno to find out how many horses have bolted over the years. I figure after that an egr clean/block will be in order. Fuel economy is at 11.5 - 11.8L per 100, not too bad considering it's 90% town driving and has a fair bit of weight on it all the time.
Another interesting addition from it's delivery days is the second air con compressor which was used for the fridge back. It appears to be identical to the original and placed directly above it with a short belt being driven by the factory unit. The factory item appears to have a wider pulley attached to drive the aux compressor. For some reason the AC is hooked to the second compressor and the one in the original position isn't piped up and is just being used as an idler. Most likely was the quickest/easiest way for it to be decommissioned and retain the AC. I'm going to look in to converting the AC back to factory and see if the auxiliary unit could be used as an endless air system. If not I'll remove it as I'm sure it could benefit from a little less parasitic loss.
mhannn

Postby hartster on Sun, 09 Jul 2017 2:36 +0000

All good mate. I thought I'd collar Alan with a couple of questions to satisfy my curiosity... I only know him in passing at the gate but man he was only too happy to talk about his Hilux. To summarise some additional detail - sorry for the long post but it's interesting to talk with a bloke whose top priority is long life and not bling or 'performance'.

Allied fuel tank is installed on-farm by their techs and subject to monthly inspections & fuel sampling. Not sure if the sampling is done by Allied or a third party, anyway the agri contractors who run the John Deere etc kit in the area swear by it as they are so exposed to a bad dose... He pays a fee and gets peace of mind and a degree of cover from the fuel company. Monthly bulk fuel delivery. Fuels up once a day.

He changes fuel filter monthly with Toyota genuine. So roughly every 10k km. No pre-filtering or water traps. All done on the Allied tank.

Tyres are LT construction and run as hard as he can to reliably maintain traction. Has a grunty compressor and tank in the back for winter conditions when he will air down, and then back up again, for the snow/mud on the high country gravel section of the daily trip. Says the Toyos will go well past 100k km but he ditches them with 3-4mm tread as less makes them unreliable. I still find this mileage claim hard to believe...

The oil catch can is the Flashlube Catch Can Pro. Has never had to pull apart the EGR circuit.

Gearbox failures were really annoying. Were gradual, nothing sudden or catastrophic. Noise and notchy changes. He doesn't agree with the 'sealed for life' lubrication, prefers to change oil, does so every 50,000. Still didn’t stop the failures....

Has replaced the rear diff once at 800k km. Simply worn out and very noisy. LSD stopped working. Original did get a fair bit of punishment in the winter. And on lamping trips shooting bunnies!

Alternator has had new bushes but otherwise is original! Never uses the air con.

Has replaced timing belt and adjusted valve clearances religiously. No checking of valves at the specified intervals, only when the belt was done. His choice. New water pump every belt change, out of habit, necessary or not. I thought that was quite interesting. No new idlers, lubricates them if they start to squeak.

Skims the disks himself with every pad change, uses Bendix, replaces disk at min thickness. Has rebuilt front calipers once with new seals and pistons. Changes fluid about 2x the specified interval without encountering any problems. Reckons the rear drums hardly wear and seem to go forever, changes the rear probably every third front pad change.

All filters changed as per normal schedule. Air blasts the air filter & box every time he rotates the tyres because of the dust and the amount of bees we get here.

Supercharge battery has been going for years. Can't remember how long the factory battery lasted but thinks he's only ever changed the battery once. Like tyres, can't quite fathom that.

Cooling system flushes. This is what the dealer said as well. Regular coolant changes as per the service schedule, done on the machine. Absolutely no hot running issues ever. Original radiator & hoses.

And last but not least… he’s got a turbo timer and has had since new! Sits in the shed at the end of the day and runs for however long… until… it’s time to switch off and go to bed.

Gets 11-12 l/100km overall. Runs up and down a lot of very tall hills remember.
hartster

Postby mhannn on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 6:11 +0000

Not much to report so far thankfully. I did the 500k service and oil sample, results came back normal on all accounts. I will sample the oil at the next service as I've changed brands (penrite) and ensure it's still happy. Probably overkill but for less than $50 it's good piece of mind.
I also changed to a carbon foam cabin filter instead of paper, Has made a noticeable difference.
mhannn

Postby hartster on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 2:58 +0000

In the first post you mention that the vehicle had a gearbox replacement in its previous life. My Hilux is of course an Aussie model but now its here in NZ the servicing schedule is quite different to Australia. Major service intervals of 15,000 km with a minor service 7,500km oil and filter change for commercial vehicles doing the hard yards. I do it all myself but I follow the book to the letter and halve some of the intervals e.g. fuel filter. The standout difference is the fact that here the dealers change out gearbox oil at 90,000 km religiously. The service schedule says "inspect" with a * that takes you to a note that says your dealer may recommend replacement for certain kinds of vehicle, in this case 4WDs, which they always do. Now I know our local service manager well and he is a solid bloke not the kind to rip you off and change oil if it doesn't need changing. He tells me that this sealed unit business is a load of bollox and particularly for the 4WD / towing folk the gearbox and transfer case lubricants should be changed without question.

So this got me thinking because if there was one thing that would cause bother on hi-miler Aussie Hiluxes, without fail it was the gearboxes anywhere from the hi 100s to early 300s. I can think of several cases of gearbox failure on older KUN26Rs owned privately by folk up north doing crazy km annually, almost all of it on very straight and boring WA/NT highways!

I just can't get my head around the sealed unit philosophy. In my experience of Aussie dealerships if the service book says I for "inspect" they didn't even check the lubricant level let alone recommend changing it. Anyway just food for thought my principal from day one is to replace all fluids at sensible intervals and in the case of auto boxes have them flushed professionally and completely ignore this "sealed unit" rubbish. Drain diffs, gearbox and transfer case hot and refill them immediately. Don't skimp on oil quality and make sure you are using the right grade. Now Castrol Universal is available and makes things a lot simpler.

(A totally different topic but our experience of Aussie Toyota dealer in-warranty servicing as we travelled around the country was really, exceptionally, incredibly poor. I've got some shocking photos of the mess made and left on the vehicle by trying to change the engine oil without taking the ARB bash plates off (Port Augusta, Mackay)... And I learnt to put tiny bits of tape on certain reservoir caps to make sure they were even being opened which in the case of the brake fluid reservoir, in Darwin, wasnt, yet they told me they did change the brake fluid as per the service schedule. That caused a very animated discussion with the dealer principle in the car park. The list of indiscretions was very long and resulted in a particularly spiky letter to Toyota Australia that got me precisely... nowhere.) I will never buy a new car from them again.
hartster

Postby mhannn on Fri, 05 Jan 2018 5:35 +0000

Sounds like a bloody awful experience Harster. I had similar dealings with Ford when I had a (new) PX ranger and the fuel pump and injectors s--t the bed after 20,000 klms and it was a 7 week wait for parts, when I was finally able to pick the car up it had an engine light on, was told to book it back in the following week as they didn't have time but assured me they'd just forgotten to clear a code. On the drive home (about 4 klms) I noticed the heater wasn't working, nor was the temp gauge. Yep. No water. Not low, just not a single drop. I thought they must have forgotten to fill it up, but the dealer principal assured me this was not the case because they had test driven it substantially prior to pick up. They picked it up on a tilt, topped up the water and told me it must have blown a hose on the drive home, despite there being no signs of leakage when i'd gotten home, and not being able to show me the blown hose, and both hoses looking clearly not-new.
I don't trust dealers with anything other than company cars these days.

Anyway, the Hilux is going quite well so far, Just had it's second service and oil sample, all results are exactly where they should be on the scale. I threw it on the dyno to see how many horses had bolted over the years, it spat out 144hp. I was pleasantly surprised, the heavy tray and toolboxes had really taken the sting out of it so had the ECU remapped and EGR turned off while it was on the dyno, ended up with 169hp.(this is all with the factory exhaust)
Now goes about as good as it did when there was no toolboxes/tray fitted.
I was in two minds about doing the remap - on one hand I'd like to see how far the motor would go in standard guise, but that could be a long time, and it was getting to be a little arduous to drive.
I've put a little more research into the 1uzfe conversion and I think it'll be the way to go if this motor gives up any time soon.
Graph;
mhannn

Postby mhannn on Wed, 06 Mar 2019 12:40 +0000

Long time between updates sorry! I know big klms don't really interest too many folks but just thought I would check in in case anyone was interested.
A few days after my last post I fitted a 3'' stainless exhaust with a 100 cell cat and straight through muffler. I was in two minds about fitting an exhaust, I generally don't like my cars to be unnecessarily loud and attract attention so made sure to weld in a quality cat and muffler. Pretty happy with the result, only a little louder than standard and not very noticeable in the cab. After the exhaust went on it went back on the dyno and put out a healthy 189.8 Hp and a good increase in torque (can't remember exact figure but will put up a photo of the dyno sheet as soon as I figure out where it is) It's currently at 519464klms so has a smidge under 20,000klms on that set up and has been faultless. No codes or issues, fuel economy has dropped down to 10.2L per 100 klm, which may seem high but I have also had it on the scales and it went 2795kg (a hair under GVM) with my tray, boxes and fridge. I've got a company vehicle now so I've dropped some weight by taking a box off and most of my tools out but am yet to weigh it.
That will be the end of performance modifications, I don't want to push too hard on the turbo or injectors considering the k's, and I'd rather see how far it'll go.
As expected with that weight and a remap, the first time I put a trailer with a little weight behind it the clutch slipped, so I've got an NPC heavy duty clutch and billet flywheel to go in when I do the 520k service.
I've put in a uniden remote face UHF and oricom aerial, mounted the UHF unit under the dash with a lightforce RJ45 through connector in the factory switch black that I thought looked pretty clean. Also changed over to the later model 17'' steel wheels and the factory grandtrek AT20 225/70/17, not my first choice in tyre but I can get them locally, on new rims for dirt cheap.
Lastly, I pulled off the twin compressor set up and replaced it with a genuine new unit. As nice as it would have been to have endless air on the ute, I would really have no use for it, It'll be up in the for sale section shortly if anyone might be interested.

Due to the company car it's not getting driven very much, but now that I don't need to work out of it I can hopefully get it out on a few more trips. Next mods after the 20k service will be fitting the 10,000lb winch I've had sitting in the shed for a while, and I also picked up an Eaton E locker for the rear out of a wrecked ute - Just need to source a fitting kit. After those I'd like to weigh it again and start looking at suspension and it definitely needs a good hard cut and polish and a few stone chips touched up. Would also like to fit some better seats, the drivers side bolster is pretty worn out and I wouldn't mind looking into something OEM made like 150 prado or 200 series seats.
Cheers for reading, will post an update if anything falls off or explodes during the 520k service and will get it back on the dyno when I can.
mhannn

Postby hiluxxury on Wed, 06 Mar 2019 4:10 +0000

Nice. My seat is worn out too. I've always wanted to do a seat swap but haven't got around to it. I've seen the current model hilux has a very similar bolt pattern but haven't measured it up yet.

Let us know how you go.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Return to Member Build Ups