Cheap A.D.D fix. Flashing 4wd light/water issue please read!

Re: Cheap A.D.D fix. Flashing 4wd light/water issue please r

Postby Marshwa on Thu, 27 Mar 2014 4:30 +0000

Yeh Justos poted a link for them in the original post for $16 bucks. That plus the little switch look to be the only electronics in the unit. I hooked my original motor up to direct power and it was working fine despite being completely covered in corrosion.

So by the looks of it the only other part that can be broken is the little trip switch. Hard to justify its worth for $900 bucks.

Will pull it off and have another fiddle with it all as soon as I get time. But if that fails I will be sorcing the add box myself from America or a wreckers and fitting it myself.
Marshwa

Postby evl253 on Tue, 29 Apr 2014 6:34 +0000

don't these things have a long breather from factory? swear the front diff & add breathers are up near the fuel filter?
evl253

Cheap A.D.D fix. Flashing 4wd light/water issue please read!

Postby Blackie2008 on Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:00 +0000

evl253 wrote:don't these things have a long breather from factory? swear the front diff & add breathers are up near the fuel filter?

Yep. Just be careful if you do a diff drop to make sure they move the breather pipe with it. Found that out the hard way...
Last edited by Blackie2008 on Wed, 14 May 2014 6:53 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Dan.

08' SR5 Dual Cab, Manual, Prado brake upgrade, 33" KM2's, DMS MR Rekon Stage II, MMKD, Stage 2 GTurbo, HPD FMIC, NPC Clutch, 360 UHD Gearbox...

Built, not bought

Build thread: http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic ... 41&t=15092
Blackie2008

Postby eco on Tue, 13 May 2014 10:30 +0000

Thank you Justos

Mine was in a horrible state. Tide level markings well past micro switch. So a few pointers which might help others sort out that 4WD light and proper actuation:

1: follow Justos post AND:
2: you need to remove complete assembly if you have standard suspension/lift and no diff drop. Steering rack prevents removing plastic cover only
3: take close up photos of all cogs/worm shaft and actuator arm to gage exact position for re-assembling time
4: ensure all cog wheels including main one with 3strips of electrical contacts turn freely and easily thus moving the actuator arm from side to side, B4 dissassembling.
5: obviously if your motor has ceased/rusted, then u need to remove it first, b4 previous step. Then measure your original motor shaft- mine was 5mm and cut accordingly!
6: if cog wheels and actuator are hard to move and erratic, then they too are water affected and need to be pulled away from the alloy part of the housing, cleaned and lubricated. Take care with main actuator shaft oil seal when replacing and ensure all goes back per photos.
7: also check the micro switch with a metre. Mine was full of powder/rust but eventually cleaned up ok. Open it by gently prising away the black cover at the switch, then lightly scour the spring contact and sand back main contact at the base. Fill with a dab of carbon grease and pop cover back on.
8: grease all your cogs/worm/gear wheel shafts/housing etc
9:Deffinately solder your motor ( after sanding/cleaning housing terminals)
10: check all gear wheels free to move BY HAND, because u need to
11: give the loctite 24hrs to set b4 testing 4WD engagement. After re-installation of course,and test it b4 gooing it to the diff housing & refilling your diff just in case it needs to come out for some more diagnosing or a another ADD actuator.
eco

Postby Talktheroo on Wed, 14 May 2014 6:03 +0000

Good thread, and thanks Justos.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby squeezemetim on Fri, 23 May 2014 12:43 +0000

I think my front diff is engaging fine from what i can work out?, however for the past year or so, every 20 minutes the 4x4 light just comes on and starts flashing, no matter if i'm in 2wd or not (rarely use 4wd)
wonder if this might have something to do with it? took it to a dealer in the uk and they "couldnt make the light flash so couldnt find what was wrong" where abouts is the "ADD" unit located and has anyone tried getting to it without a bodylift/diffdrop kit?
squeezemetim

Postby Marshwa on Fri, 23 May 2014 5:22 +0000

before my 4wd light wasn't howing up at all. I pulled off the add box replaced the motor and did what the guys siad and I now have your problem Tim.

After 20mins or so the 4wd light will start flashing. I took it to the dealer and said my 4wd is now engageing but the light starts flashing after 20mins or so.

They told me that it is due to the fact that while the 4wd is engaging it is not engageing 100%, maybe only sliding the pinion 80% and that the only way to fix is to just stop mucking around and buy a new ADD unit.
Marshwa

Postby eco on Sun, 25 May 2014 3:40 +0000

Squeezemetim... It sounds like you have some water in your add, if it hasn't been opened since new. Water will regularly shorten the numerous contacts inside, causing the light to flash. And yes it an be done without diff drop, but need to remove whole of add. See my previous post.

If you had a go at repairing it previously then the various cog wheels have not been correctly realigned! In this case either experiment with new settings or buy another add unit.
eco

Postby daz191067 on Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:52 +0000

Hi

Thanks for the thread, looks like it will sort the problem out. I have identified the location of the A.D.D. unit and the five (5) Phillips head screws but see that some of the screws are located behind a tortion bar. Should this be removed or can be done without removal. don't want to F*** up my daily drive.

Please confirm.

Cheers
daz191067

Postby daz191067 on Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:56 +0000

Heres a funny one for you all. My Toyota dealer thought the flashing light problem had something to do with TYRE PRESSURES. LMAO. :lol:
daz191067

Postby Slicky7g on Sun, 17 May 2015 4:24 +0000

Hey guys, my 4wd light is flashing all the time. I got a s/hand add unit from a wrecker and fitted it. Still have the flashing light and not engaging 4wd. When I unplug the add unit the light is still flashing. I opened up my old unit and powered up the motor and it works fine. What else fails on these systems? I have also fitted a s/hand 4wd module (located behind the glovebox). Its driving me nuts!
Slicky7g

Postby buffo69 on Sun, 17 May 2015 4:30 +0000

Check that the little gears are in the correct position and will flick the little switch inside.
buffo69

Postby Slicky7g on Sun, 17 May 2015 4:41 +0000

Ok will do. Does the add need to be in the 2wd position when fitting it to the diff?
Slicky7g

Postby xychix on Mon, 04 Jan 2016 5:11 +0000

Has noone though of just fixing the ADD in 4wd mode? in 2H the front drivetrain is disconnected from the gearbox I assume?

So the only downside might be a fraction higher fuel consumption as there are a few more bearrings spinning. The only use I'd see in ADD is:
- save some fuel by disconnecting
- drive 2wd in Low, unfortunately they didn't build this in.....
xychix

Postby martynvella on Mon, 04 Jan 2016 6:34 +0000

Why buy the SR5 equivalent then, should have saved the money and got the SR equivelant. There is nothing in the SR5 that you cant live without that the SR doesn't have.
martynvella

Postby kasmotech on Fri, 24 Feb 2017 7:28 +0000

any leads where i can get the micro switch, part #?
kasmotech

Postby petmik on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 5:27 +0000

Guys. I have been reading an old post as I have a problem with my 4WD light flashing. All the posts and others experiences point to the ADD. I've taken off my ADD actuator opened it up to check it and it's as clean as a whistle. Now it won't work at all. ( before I was getting into 4WD mode but light would flash after about 30min driving). Have I killed it by opening it up. I read that some of you got yours working and others not.
petmik

Postby Zeussy on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 6:24 +0000

Just like to add my story to the list of success stories. Long time lurker, first time poster..

Firstly you guys are awesome sharing this kind of info, and taking the time to put up pics and a detailed description on how to, and even more helpful - the link to buy the motor. Not all heros wear capes, Justo's you sir are a legend!

I've had my SR5 lifted, with diff drop and UCA's over 10,000kms ago. Since it's modified Toyota didn't want anything to do with it saying it's a direct result of the modifications and blah blah blahhhh. Then tried to tell me I'd be up for over $1000 for them to repair it. Naturally after finding this thread, I told them not so politely I wouldn't be paying that and to put my car back together because I'll be down soon to pick it up.

Ordered the motor from Justo's link in the original post, ordered Tuesday lunch time, turned up Wednesday at a similar time. At a bargain price of $12.34 with free postage.

A little apprehensive to begin with, but figured I couldn't make it any worse. I removed the whole unit to make it easier to work on and solder the motor in, but you definitely don't need to as the motor is in the black plastic cover anyway. Which was a blessing in disguise as my diff oil looked like custard. Two flushes with new oil should rectify that situation.

So cheers guys for saving me $1000!
Zeussy

Postby Marshwa on Mon, 15 May 2017 3:05 +0000

Hey lads,

Raising an old tread in hope someone here knows if its possible to source one of the little switches that is inside the unit?

I pulled my ADD module apart (for the second time) on the weekend and the switch is completely corroded away.

Also anyone know any tricks to ensure the grub gear is installed in the correct position when refitting the cover?

Cheers,

Max
Marshwa

Postby detlyn on Mon, 22 May 2017 3:26 +0000

Blackie2008 wrote:Don't worry, I fixed it. Note to future readers, make sure the large round gears keyway is correctly engaged in the actuating arm. It makes the world of difference.
Also, don't look to the factory workshop manual for advice. All it'll tell you is that this item is unable to be disassembled. Of course we know better though ;)

Mine worked after fixing it but after 20kms or so the 4x4 light flashed until i turned the car off and on again, then another 20 kms or so flashing again. In and out of 4wd no prob though. Moved the rack & pinion forward a bit and pulled the plastic cover off and found the actuating arm (not the large plastic gear but the bit that attaches to) was a tooth out. It should have even throw when you turn it left and right while rotating the black drive shaft into the diff back and forth with your hand. The give away was the tracks left in the grease from the electric contacts were not the same endpoint as the shiny marks underneath the grease from where they used to run from new. Just make sure it is in the disengaged position (Black drive shaft into the diff rotating freely) before refitting the black cover so you dont damage the micro switch.

Note: I know you dont have to remove the actuator arm for a water damage repair but my alloy body was bent and binding on the large internal sliding pin the selector fork attaches to from a front end collision (Repairable write off) so i had the hole unit out and stripped in the press with heat.
Hope this helps some one if they mistakenly take the actuator out and miss time it on re instillation.
detlyn

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks