Taresk's really slow build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Taresk's really slow build

Postby taresk on Sat, 05 Mar 2016 10:16 +0000

It's been ages since I made any changes to the Lux, I've had other things that needed money spent on them, so fourby fell down the priority list.

But since my last post here is what i've done...

Added a cheap android GPS head unit (I have trim pieces to go either side of it, but they need a corner filed off to fit with the Fortuner dash and I keep forgetting about it)

A reverse camera to go with the head unit (I also re-fitted the canopy once this was installed, as rear vision was less of an issue).

Final mod was a dash cam, also a cheap ebay purchase, but some encounters I've had left me feeling a very strong need to install one :)

taresk

Postby taresk on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 4:10 +0000

Did a partial installation of some Phat Bars plates today, turns out the t-case plate isn't V6 friendly, the crossover exhaust pipe that runs right behind the case is in the way.
Fortunately I had planned to get that bit re-routed eventually anyway, because as any V6 owner knows, that pipe hangs ridiculously low.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
taresk

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 6:12 +0000

Nice

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby taresk on Mon, 03 Apr 2017 3:26 +0000

Fitted a hard cover today that I bought second hand last month in preparation for my next accessory, which I'm looking forward to (I'll post details about that once it's done).

Was so easy to fit, the bonus of buying second hand cars is that most of the time the holes are already there :)
taresk

Postby taresk on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 8:13 +0000

The Lux has now become my tent, at least for shorter overnighters anyway. Turns out a dual cab tray has more room than you'd think, at least when the tailgate is down. At 6'2" I can lay straight without touching either headboard or canvas (if only just).

Sent from my ASUS_Z00MD using Tapatalk
taresk

Postby flip9 on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 9:50 +0000

That's a pretty clever setup. Is it a custom made canvas?
flip9

Postby taresk on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 10:58 +0000

flip9 wrote:That's a pretty clever setup. Is it a custom made canvas?

No, a guy in Melbourne makes them to order for all sorts of utes ( www.uteswags.com.au ) It's done with marine canvas, you just pick your colours and tell him what ute you have, if you have a hard cover or a soft cover, etc.

I was after something quick and easy for all the overnighters when setting up my big tent seemed like overkill, I was considering a big dome swag, but I saw this on facebook and figured it's a better match for me.
taresk

Postby taresk on Mon, 16 Sep 2019 1:56 +0000

The old girl has been on the backburner for a long time now while other stuff got sorted, but I'm going to ease back into the slow build.

Took it to the high Country November last year, did really well except for a clicking CV (was already on it's way out before the trip).

Here's a short video of that: https://youtu.be/t0jTBKQgyM8

As for mods, well I've purchased some sliding sway bar links off another forum member, I've ordered a sway bar relocation kit, and just today an expensive package of ARB gear showed up.
I've also bought some custom switches to operate it.

I'm going to completely re-do my dual battery kit, with the battery mounted in the tub and I also plan to fit a winch before the end of the year.

Beyond that, I'll just make it up as I go, no cut and dry plan anymore. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
taresk

Postby taresk on Fri, 18 Oct 2019 4:09 +0000

About 90% through installing a winch, just need to source myself a number plate bracket, and replace my drill (It died before I could mount the breather hose and isolator switch).ImageImage

taresk

Postby HK1837 on Fri, 18 Oct 2019 4:30 +0000

Looks sorta like my cheapy bar. Mine is about 5 years old, powder coat faded a bit but still ok.
Try and not use any of the bolts or screws that come with it, they are rubbish. If it has captive nutserts use some never seize on the threads.
Mine fits ok but the gap between the guards and the bar is not really consistent. And the fog lights are cr@p, I changed mine out for some small Narva spotties.
HK1837

Postby taresk on Fri, 18 Oct 2019 8:12 +0000

HK1837 wrote:Looks sorta like my cheapy bar. Mine is about 5 years old, powder coat faded a bit but still ok.
Try and not use any of the bolts or screws that come with it, they are rubbish. If it has captive nutserts use some never seize on the threads.
Mine fits ok but the gap between the guards and the bar is not really consistent. And the fog lights are cr@p, I changed mine out for some small Narva spotties.

It's an X-Rox bar, no captive nutserts, all high tensile bolts, the fog lights don't come with it.
taresk

Postby taresk on Fri, 08 Nov 2019 4:06 +0000

So, I re-spooled the winch drum under tension yesterday, even using short bursts with a reasonable break between, the car was running rough as guts when I was done, way down on volts.

Turns out my battery is about 50cca shy of Carbon's recommended minimum, so I'm going to need a bigger battery before I try using it for real. Very tempted to try iTechworlds new Lithium starting battery, 1300cca from an 8kg battery sounds nice if you ignore the price.

Something to think about...
taresk

Postby taresk on Mon, 02 Dec 2019 3:23 +0000

Battery has arrived, as usual there's always a catch, it is about 10mm shorter than a standard battery, so I need to figure out a new mount thanks to the lack of height adjustment in the Toyota mount.Image

taresk

Postby TazziesGT on Tue, 03 Dec 2019 6:27 +0000

taresk wrote:So, I re-spooled the winch drum under tension yesterday, even using short bursts with a reasonable break between, the car was running rough as guts when I was done, way down on volts.

Turns out my battery is about 50cca shy of Carbon's recommended minimum, so I'm going to need a bigger battery before I try using it for real. Very tempted to try iTechworlds new Lithium starting battery, 1300cca from an 8kg battery sounds nice if you ignore the price.

Hey mate,

My winch isolation switch also links both batteries together (It activates the jump start override using a redarc 200 Amp dual battery solenoid)

Removes the need for 1300 cca batteries and the like, because you effectively double your battery bank while winching.
Taz

The GT
2005 KUN26R Hilux
Set up as a capable offroad tourer (eventually)

My build: viewtopic.php?f=119&t=31133#p430422
TazziesGT

Postby taresk on Tue, 03 Dec 2019 6:47 +0000

TazziesGT wrote:
taresk wrote:So, I re-spooled the winch drum under tension yesterday, even using short bursts with a reasonable break between, the car was running rough as guts when I was done, way down on volts.

Hey mate,

My winch isolation switch also links both batteries together (It activates the jump start override using a redarc 200 Amp dual battery solenoid)

Removes the need for 1300 cca batteries and the like, because you effectively double your battery bank while winching.

That's a really clever idea, much better than trying to hold down a switch and control the winch at the same time.

I am actually going to do a lot of re-wiring on the old girl, I'm moving my second battery into the tray, and I noticed that the loom on my depo lights was damaged while I was swapping batteries around, so I'll be putting the factory ones back in for now and cleaning up some of my light wiring.
I'll have to keep that in mind when I set up the second battery again.

Even when I'm not winching, the cranking amps are a bonus for the engine, having a petrol a good supply of power to the ignition system is always a good thing.
taresk

Postby taresk on Tue, 21 Jul 2020 2:55 +0000

I've been doing a lot of night driving lately, and decided I really need better lighting, so I've taken off my LED's, and stuck my old halogens back on, I've also ordered a set of proper retrofit Bi-xenon headlamps, so i can ditch the dodgy depo angel eyes, should arrive in the next week or so.Image

taresk

Postby taresk on Fri, 24 Jul 2020 7:18 +0000

Retrofit headlamps arrived today, fitted up this afternoon, the improvement to light output is massive, i should have done this in the first place.
They're 55w HID, and I specifically chose a lower kelvin globe due to the amount of fog and misty rain we have around here, as it doesn't reflect glare as much.

Just need to decide what to do with the spotties now, the old halogens are a decent stop-gap, the LED'S I had on before gave a great spread, but had no distance, so i need to find a better all-rounder.Image

taresk

Postby Plumb Perfect on Sat, 25 Jul 2020 8:31 +0000

Well done.
The lights look heaps better than the previous set. Who did them for you?

I’ve had a set on for about 3 years now. Had teething issues with the ballasts initially and went through about 3 or 4 sets as they kept failing. Been ok since though. Lighting is much better than standard or depo stuff. IMO they also look way better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plumb Perfect

Postby taresk on Sat, 25 Jul 2020 2:39 +0000

Plumb Perfect wrote:Well done.

I’ve had a set on for about 3 years now. Had teething issues with the ballasts initially and went through about 3 or 4 sets as they kept failing. Been ok since though. Lighting is much better than standard or depo stuff. IMO they also look way better

Mick's HID retrofits in Newcastle did them for me, I'm pretty impressed with the quality of both the paint job on the reflector and the parts included.
taresk

Postby Plumb Perfect on Sat, 25 Jul 2020 5:40 +0000

taresk wrote:
Plumb Perfect wrote:Well done.

Mick's HID retrofits in Newcastle did them for me, I'm pretty impressed with the quality of both the paint job on the reflector and the parts included.
Nice, Mick did mine as well!!
Good bloke and the headlights are good!
Can I ask what type of ballasts are running them? NHK? Morimoto?
Again mine are fine and have been for a few years now. They aren’t cheap but I would purchase them again.

Plumb Perfect

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups