Spotlight wiring..

Re: Spotlight wiring..

Postby martynvella on Thu, 20 Aug 2015 6:07 +0000

This thread is 5 pages long with people asking the same questions over and over, there are so many answers there it confuses people to which is the right one for their vehicle. There is even an answer that will suit every vehicle, just means having to scrap the harness that comes in the kit and making you own.

What you need to do is take the time to understand what a relay does and how it works, it isn't rocket science.
It is called learning. If you learn how and why it works you will be able to troubleshoot in the future, if you just do the monkey see monkey do thing, you will never know what is happening.

Look at how a relay works and you will realize how un necessary it is to ask if a negative and positive switching relay are different.
martynvella

Postby Locknut on Thu, 20 Aug 2015 6:38 +0000

I can't believe you would write something like that mate. This forum is about sharing information, experiences and laughs. Whilst I don't have a lot of experience in this area, I've definitely come a long way, but some things I'm not 100% on just yet and need a little guidance. I've read through every page and done other research, but to the inexperienced it can be a little confusing. Clearly electrical is not my strongest area but if I can help in other areas I'll definitely give something back to the forum :D
Locknut

Postby martynvella on Thu, 20 Aug 2015 8:12 +0000

I agree with you, and don't worry, some of the stuff you read in here confuses experienced people.

All I'm saying is to look a little deeper into it and you will be able to answer your own question, your taking the time to do this yourself so learn from it, it really is about as easy as electrical stuff gets and it is a basic building block for more complex circuits, understand this and you will be a lot more capable in more difficult things.

You know the old saying......give a man a fish...
martynvella

Postby Locknut on Thu, 20 Aug 2015 6:46 +0000

Job done. A few notes that people may wish to hear.

I believe the hilux light circuitry itself is negative switching, someone more knowledgeable may be able to confirm this. Thus running a feed from the fuse box will not work. The lights will cut out as soon as the 'high beams' are selected on. It must be from the headlight itself unless you know how to reverse this but that's beyond me.

Someone mentioned to check your connections and test as you go. A very important bit of information if it can be done.

Ensure the salesman sells you the correct relay.

:D 8-)
Locknut

Postby scratcher on Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:34 +0000

I've installed my spotties on a 2014 SR5, I wired it up to an ARB switch and used figure 1 from this wiring diagram from customrockers website:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/op19ykctniugpbo/AABV4wyhGo8OzHc1V5beyprQa/V1D1J66B%20%20(%20SPST%20)%20LED%20%26%20PRINTED%20SWITCH%20WIRING%20DIAGRAM.pdf?dl=0

Everything works as it should. I ran 2 wires from under bonnet, through the firewall to the switch, this was the wire from the high beam on the passenger side and the wire to the relay. Because I'm (not) a genius both wires were the same colour, so when i hooked up the switch the light on the switch glowed to say spotties were on when high beams were on, regardless of whether the spottie switch was on or not. I swapped the wires i had hooked up to pins 2 and 3 on the switch and now it all works as it should.

To save a lot of trouble i got the dash light(pin 6 on switch) from the ARB installed compressor activation switch in my vehicle.

I found the many wiring diagrams and discussions very confusing at first, and really wasnt sure how the whole thing would actually wire up until i tried the figure 1 version and earthed pin 8, tried high beams and switch illuminated... i did that because fig 2 seemed like a PITA and hoped fig 1 would work. It did, so go by fig 1 and you'll be sweet, so long as it's a 2014 SR5 :D everyone seems to have success with different wiring so who knows which is ultimately correct, but I'd say it all comes down to which high beam wire you tap into, and where you tap into it.... and some model electrical system variation.
scratcher

Re: Fog light wiring

Postby Ekholden on Thu, 07 Apr 2016 11:23 +0000

I have a new post about this hope you can help
Ekholden

Postby bairdy380 on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 1:47 +0000

OK...I've read the thread back to front a couple of times and now just plain old confused myself.
I have LED spotties running with a supacentre harness system.
Here's the scoop. The spotties switch on and off perfectly with the high beam/low beam switch on stalk...
Issue I have is once the lights on the stalk are off, the carling type rocker switch is taking over and re-activating the ciruit and turning the spotties on. So I am literally down to the switch as to what/where how to activate. So overall it works....except for carling switch and the "ON" bizzo when the actual headlight system is completely off. Any tips....I am guessing I need to change the active from somewhere?
Summary
Switch on/lights off = spotties on BAD :!:
Switch on/low beam = spotties off GOOD
Switch on/high beam = spotties on GOOD
Switch off/lights off = spotties off GOOD
bairdy380

Another spotlight loom question

Postby Bravehart on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 10:48 +0000

Rights lads, I've been soaking up info all night on how to wire up these bloody driving lights.
I have an early 2015 sr5 I've been trying to figure out wether the headlights are positively or negatively switched.
I read a post on here that says the sr5 with auto headlights are positively switched, but when I pulled the plug off the headlight and tested for power (testlight on the negative side of the battery) I got nothing. I hooked the test light into the positive side and got the test light to light up indicating it's negatively switched. Correct?
The second part of my question is the headlight plug has a black wire yellow trace, a black wire White trace & a white wire black trace.
Do any of you legends know which one is constant 12v and which one is the high beam wire?
Thanks lads
Bravehart

Re: Another spotlight loom question

Postby Bravehart on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 12:31 +0000

I reckon I put this in the wrong category, oops sorry
Bravehart

Postby DeadlyBeast on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 5:53 +0000

Threads merged
Carry on here
DeadlyBeast

Postby Richie4540 on Mon, 06 Aug 2018 3:37 +0000

So I waded through the thread and wired up my 2008 extra cab with negative switched wiring using the red/yellow wire as the path to earth.

The led bar works when lights are off and you pull the high beam stalk, they also come on when engine is running and low beam is on and the stalk is pulled, but when you let the stalk go the high beams go back to low beam but the led bar ( relay ) stays on.

Any ideas on why this would happen?
Richie4540

Postby Myralga on Mon, 06 Aug 2018 8:43 +0000

Richie4540 wrote:So I waded through the thread and wired up my 2008 extra cab with negative switched wiring using the red/yellow wire as the path to earth.

The led bar works when lights are off and you pull the high beam stalk, they also come on when engine is running and low beam is on and the stalk is pulled, but when you let the stalk go the high beams go back to low beam but the led bar ( relay ) stays on.

Most likely the Relay is messing with the original wiring. Allowing a residual current (or something similar I’m not a elec) and allowing the relay to stay engaged. Although the relay requires a chunk of initial power to pull it in and needs the proper circuit to do so. Once engaged to hold the relay in requires very little power and you may have a residual earth some how back through the system.

I had this happen to me a couple of times and blinded more then too many people on a previous lux because the relay would randomly hold in. (3 separate circuits and one would hold at random) would end up slamming on the brakes and veering off the road so as to not blind the person anymore then I already had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby martynvella on Tue, 07 Aug 2018 7:36 +0000

Myralga wrote:
Richie4540 wrote:So I waded through the thread and wired up my 2008 extra cab with negative switched wiring using the red/yellow wire as the path to earth.

Most likely the Relay is messing with the original wiring. Allowing a residual current (or something similar I’m not a elec) and allowing the relay to stay engaged. Although the relay requires a chunk of initial power to pull it in and needs the proper circuit to do so. Once engaged to hold the relay in requires very little power and you may have a residual earth some how back through the system.

I had this happen to me a couple of times and blinded more then too many people on a previous lux because the relay would randomly hold in. (3 separate circuits and one would hold at random) would end up slamming on the brakes and veering off the road so as to not blind the person anymore then I already had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, the small feed that holds the relay normally comes from the indicator light inside the switch when the light switching configuration is different to the one it is designed for. Another very common one was through the high beam warning light in the dash in earlier toyotas, it would let the lights work normally when the lights were on but would switch the spotties back on when the lights were turned off, a real head f*#k the first time i cam across it, resorting to looking at a schematic which is really demoralising when a headlight circuit beats you and found the high beam warning light was not in parallel with the actual high beam lights, instead was wired so if the headlights were turned on and was not in lo beam the warning light would come on, and why would an engineer do this, beats me.
martynvella

Postby VMANN on Wed, 05 Sep 2018 7:55 +0000

WHEN IN DOUBT, GO FLAT OUT.
VMANN

Postby floody_1985 on Mon, 21 Sep 2020 6:43 +0000

I had the problem of the spotlights coming on when you turned the headlights to park and off, and while the information in this thread was great, I found these instructions explained some of the solutions available here.

https://supa-marketing.s3.amazonaws.com ... 170531.pdf

So after days of scratching my head and wondering where I went wrong, I finally have functioning driving lights!
floody_1985

Postby 241steve on Fri, 05 Feb 2021 5:07 +0000

I read thru most of this tread and didn't see it mentioned apologies if it has been all ready.
The kings led spot light kit uses a bridge rectifier connected to the high beam signal then uses that dc to the switch and back to the relay to prevent the rely latching on. when dipping the lights to low beam causing the spot lights staying on.
notice the negative from the rectifier goes to the relay coil then positive from the reg goes thru the switch back to the relay coil the negative for the light on the switch comes from the rectifier also.
the high beam signal hot positive and switched negative is connected to the ac side of the rectifier
this is an 80 series drawing but its close enough to a hilux to show why a relay can latch on see where the high beam indicator light is connected to the low beam
hopefully this might help someone one day the spotlights staying on done my head in for a couple of days.
241steve

Previous

Return to Electrical