Hilux V6 TRD CAI Dyno Testing Review installation

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Hilux V6 TRD CAI Dyno Testing Review installation

Postby Gulfstream8 on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 12:42 +0000

The TRD CAI (cold air intake) is an absolute must buy for the Hilux, TRD Hilux, Prado, Tacoma, Tundra, FJ Cruiser and Japanese Spec Land Cruiser!

Anything that is powered by the Toyota 4.0Lt V6 1GR-FE I would go so far as to say I have never in my whole time playing with engines seen something work so well for the dollars spent (aside from NOS). The TRD CAI also fixes a number of problems including "Heat Soak" to the filter area which is one of the causes of poor or unstable fuel economy - there will be more on that later in "How the TRD CAI works and problems it fixes below".

The Toyota TRD Engineers really have done an awesome job on their R&D

Below Hilux with TRD CAI from Tacoma 2005-2011 TRD CAI P/N PTR03-35090 from TRDparts4u Dallas Toyota

Lets get right into this, but first of all let me explain a couple of things. All my Dyno runs are back to back on the same Dyno so they are accurate but dont look at the outright numbers but look at the total gain as you cannot compare Dyno's to other Dyno's. Also my Gains are "Without Restrictive Snorkel" but with the 2009-2011 Tacoma Headers and Tuned Length Burns Stainless "Y" pipe (found here viewtopic.php?f=81&t=23730) and on 98 octane so you may not achieve the same "Outright Gains" --- by the same token if you are running the TRD Supercharger your "Outright Gains" may be much larger as Supercharges and Turbos dont suck very well. And once last thing - its all dependent on how well you install the TRD CAI ensuring pipe work lines up well.

Oh and one (more) last thing ---- just encase the "Harold Scruby's" of this world read this I did this for more "Torque" and better fuel economy and for better haulage and driving experience on road and off and not to turn this into a drag car. :lol:

TRD CAI Hilux Dyno Results - a proven 24kw (32 British HP) at the rear wheels and a massive 15.66% NW Gain

The massive torque gain of 15.66% is flat almost right throughout the entire RPM range!

Lets put this into prospective

With Tacoma 2009-2011 Headers and Burns Stainless Tuned length exhaust (viewtopic.php?f=81&t=23730) and the TRD CAI the total gain on this vehicle is 27.7% KW and 23.96% NW gain at the rear wheels. We could be looking at approximately 223 Kw and 466 nw at the engine! and thats with standard ECU, Standard cams and standard cam gears and no forced induction etc.

The results are absolutely staggering and Peter from Advan Performance who personally did the Dyno run had never seen anything like it before. We were both very skeptical at trying the TRD CAI as so many claims are made about performance gains with things like this. I was so skeptical the TRD CAI sat in my garage for almost 12 months.

TRD Hilux owner offer

As mentioned above the results are with the Tacoma Headers, Tuned length exhaust and Tacoma TRD CAI on my naturally aspirated Hilux and they are now in the same numbers as the "Standard TRD Supercharged Hilux outputs". So I would like to offer to someone in Sydney with a good condition standard TRD Hilux with standard size wheels and tyres a free dyno run to find out.

If you are a TRD Hilux owner wanting to install the TRD CAI it would be do to find out a before and after result so the offer of a free dyno run in Sydney would be good value for you - plus we can then post here on the results for the TRD Hilux

On the road
Even after seeing the Dyno results its not until you get it on the road and see just how much the Torque affects your driving. You can physically feel how much less throttle your using just to drive around. We already know that the 1GR-FE produces more torque just off idle than the maximum the D4D does but when you install the TRD CAI you are practically just idling around.

When loaded out on the Hiway it holds gears for so much longer and the only word that I can give it is -- Effortlessly! It tows or Hauls just so effortlessly.

An example I would use is that it seems people in Ford Rangers seem to feel compelled to show you how "Masculine" their ranger is; but even in standard form a 176Kw 376NW Hilux will give a ranger a run and when they come across a TRD Lux their left blowing diesel smoke. But I had a funny experience towing a mates 1,800kg ski boat back from the Hawkesbury up the massive hill just after the river on the hi-way where the speed limit is 110klm. Sure enough along comes a Ford Ranger also towing a Ski boat and hes right on my tail --- I have no interest in giving the NSW Gov any more revenue so I stick to the limit. Before we hit the hill, sure enough he decides to "Flex His Ranger" and pulls out and I know hes giving it to it as its puffing hard. I "Effortlessly" squeeze on a little more throttle but nothing too much just to maintain momentum; while he looked busier than a Minster filling out an expenses form. The Ranger guy was so confused he sat behind us the rest of the way. When we were off the hiway he pulled up next to us at the lights and wanted to know what I had done to the "Hilux Diesel" :lol:

Economy
This is truly incredible. I do a run from inner west Sydney (No load) in heavy traffic up to Nelson Bay and load up around 800Kg and come back. The round trip is 411klm and I have driven it a number of times so I have logged a number of fuel economy figures. The improvement after installing the TRD CAI was so good at a saving of 2.66Lt per 100Klm I did not believe it at first so I did the run again and achieved 2.48Lt saving per 100Klm.

For the record on the second run I made an effort to fill up at the same fuel bowser when I left and when I came back on the same day. I will do more runs and I will post more results but you would pay off the TRD CAI in fuel savings in a year.

Please note however around town the fuel saving is much less and very hard to get accurate figures in Sydney due to crazy traffic but it looks like around 0.4 - 0.5 lt saving per 100klm. Still an awesome result but I will post more on around town.

TRD CAI - Noise or Sound
I have read a number of people saying that its noisy but I would have to disagree and in fact I think it might be quieter than the old set up especially driving around town "Not Flogging it". Even at wide open throttle I would have to say the old assembly just makes a lot of air noise but the TRD CAI you can hear the growl of the engine rather than that suffocating sound.

The Growl is enjoyable and not intrusive - in fact you may find yourself driving for economy so you deliberately load up the engine with small throttle movements so you hear it. It can be confused for a V8 at times.

I will concede that at wide open throttle the growl is noticeable but not so much inside the cab as it is directed forward -- also if you are running the TRD Supercharger I think the whine could be louder than standard.

Overall Im very happy with the sound and much prefer it as its quieter for me but I now can actually hear the engine under load.

How the TRD CAI works and problems it fixes below

Number one problem -- heat soak
The placement of the original filter assembly by Toyota right on top of the engine may have been a wonderful way for Toyota to save money as a world engine for different models but its absolutely detrimental to consistent fuel economy and power/torque. On the Dyno and with the standard filter assembly in place after only 2-3 runs you see inlet air temp go up and the ECU starts backing off ignition and over fuelling the engine for unnecessary over protection.

I have to stress - "unnecessary over protection" however I would use 95 octane or above with the TRD CAI in place. I will also add to put anyone's mind at ease that the overfuelling is almost criminal and the backing off of ignition is insane. I have road tested this vehicle and Dynoed it and its still overly overly safe and you could safley lean it out more at WOT. This TRD CAI was designed and tested by Toyota Engineers so it still meets their safety parameters

While this happens to the original filter assy (heat soak) all the time driving around town giving extreme variable fuel economies, I have actually experienced a worst case scenario where I was getting great fuel economy out west than I filled up had some lunch got back in the truck and it was drinking fuel like a big block Chev in Sydney traffic. This is not good when you are working on distances to the next fuel station and this is why Toyota has moved the Filter assembly off the engine on the "Dual VVTI 1GR-FE". The TRD CAI totally overcomes the "Heat Soak Issue"

Number 2 The Main Reason the TRD CAI works

The main reason why it works so well is right where the AFM sits the diameter of the pipe work is slightly bigger than the original assy. This than tricks the overly conservative Toyota ECU into thinking there is not as much load on the engine. This in turns reduces the point at which the ECU starts to back off ignition. It also leans out a ridiculously over protected and over fueled engine at the same loads. Both the ignition and a 'corrected" AFR provides more torque and more power and this also results in better fuel economy.

Number 3 TRD Pipe Work Again

As opposed to the original pipe work there is now a perfect "Converging Duct" for better flow and "Ram Tube Effect"
Also as compared to the original pipe with its very restrictive "Max Flow Venturi Design"

Number 4 Filter size

The Filter in the TRD CAI is around 50% bigger than standard providing better airflow and for longer - bigger surface area takes longer to block up.

Number 5 Filter inlet
Just like the TRD pipe above having a massive inlet diameter (100mm) the inlet to the filter box is huge at 100mm

How is it made

The TRD CAI is a quality product made from long lasting and strong High Temp Polypropylene. The Silicone joins are very high quality however there are a couple of things I was not happy with.

The first box I was sent the Filter seal surface area was poor --- please see image below

Also I was not confident on the hinges on our rough roads so I made some safety clamps --- please see image below

Is it Legal

Yes the TRD CAI is all States legal in the USA and exceeds the worlds toughest California pollution rules so it exceeds our almost none existent rules. Below shows the main simple reason why other CAI's are not legal and thats because the TRD CAI comes with a Carbon Trap.

For those of you who think there might be a power gain in removing it? Well its not there as we tested it!

Trd Oiled Filter or FJ Cruiser Filter --- FJ filter is exactly the same size and fits perfectly in the TRD CAI

The FJ Cruiser Filter is a superior filter with is foam pre-filter on the filter itself and it showed no difference on the Dyno compared to the Oiled TRD or K & N type filter and this is usually the norm on Dynos with these things you will never find a noticeable difference. I personally dont like oiled filters as they tend to block up faster as the oil catches dust on top of the filter first than blocking the air pathways faster. In aviation they were a big thing in the 80's but everyone went back to the factory filters.

To Snorkel or Not to Snorkel that is the Question

As above the power and torque gains are without a Snorkel as all of them are restrictive including what I believe is the best on the market the Denso. Even the Denso is marked a "Less Restrictive than others". The way they are designed is the problem as they go from big inlet to small to big to small this creates a "Max Flow Ventrui" effect. Driving and "Ram Effect" has no positive effect as thats what a "Max Flow Ventrui" does ---- it restricts flow. Besides the in factory guard inlet is very well designed. Also the dust issue is debatable (Snorkel V's Standard) as the inner guard works effectively as an "Inertial Separator" and from my experience my filter compared to someone with a snorkel on the same dirt road was cleaner.

Also as the TRD CAI has a 100mm inlet and has to find a new hole in the inner guard to go through so none of the snorkels on the market will fit.

For me while I use my 4x4 as a 4x4 I have no interest in taking my truck in water deeper than the recommended factory wading depth and I have never had the need too in all my life in any 4x4. So in reality it comes back to --- "Do you really need a Snorkel" just like do you "Really need mud tyres V's A/T's

If you still feel you need a Snorkel you will have to make one and the best I have seen so far is from a member on here called "Sideways" who made his own at a complete 4" (100mm) diameter all the way through --- here is a link to Sideways build page and his purpose built Snorkel viewtopic.php?f=41&t=24583&p=391496#p391496 he may help out with some photos and information at some stage.

Hilux Installation Procedure onto 2005-2015 GEN 7
TRD CAI P/N PTR03-35090 normally for a Tacoma 2005-2011 or USA Spec FJ Cruiser 2007-2009

This procedure is intended to be used in conjunction with the TRD installation manual that will come with your kit. I have also tried my best to find a way to install this kit on our Hilux in a way that should really only require Handyman (sorry Handy-person) skills, but some of you may prefer another method. Also I have worked out a way through very careful measurements and a modification so you dont need to Bash the inner guard down to get it to fit. Also Im sorry to tell you but it is impossible to get the pipe work to line up correctly with the original inner guard inlet hole and you will need to cut another otherwise the pipe work will cause problems with flow. This will mean that all standard Snorkels will not fit but I have mentioned above how restrictive they are .

Step one ---- obviously after you have purchased your TRD CAI kit

Make a visit to your local Hardware and Clark Rubber and pick up the following below ---- images also supplied
M8 x 20mm Metric Hex Bolts Qty 2, M8 Lock Nut QTY 2, M8 Lock Washers QTY 4, Bench Top Connectors 65mm, white anti rust paint, Heavy Duty Steel Angle Bracket (Black) 100 x 125 x 25mm QTY 1 and Heavy Duty Steel Angle Bracket (Black) 150 x 175 x 25mm QTY 1. Then at Clark rubber 19mm rubber Grommets QTY 4 and 24mm Rubber Grommet and 38mm Rubber Suction cup and some rubber edge protector. Then from an auto shop some silicon lube or if you like KY Jelly :lol:

Step 2 --- modify the lower air box for mounting and prepare brackets

Install 19mm grommets into the two smaller holes and the 24mm into the post you cut off

Cut smaller bracket to correct size and file off sharp edges and paint

Cut larger bracket to correct size and file off sharp edges and paint

Step 3 - Prepare Top Filter cover

The TRD "Filter Minder" will not fit in the vertical position and will need to be reconfigured into the horizontal position as per below. Please note you will need to install a 19mm Grommet into the old hole ---- you can if you like just install the grommet and not install the "Filter Minder" but this thing works so very very well and will tell you when you need to service the filter rather than pulling it out all the time ---- also it will tell you when you start to drop in power before you even notice it as it works so well

After drilling the new hole for the "Filter Minder" please please please vacuum out and material.

Step 4 - installation preparation

Step 5 - Temporarily install TRD CAI with filter element inside to mark inlet hole in guard for cutting

Insert main pipe into red rubber silicone seal up to first indent --- for supercharged models you may have to cut the first indent off but I would test fit first. Also here is a YouTube video on how this can be stuffed up but for naturlly asperated engines you dont want to cut as you need this pipe as long as possible for power and torque https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMpeTdseMU

Install the brackets as in the image below with the small one next to the engine and the large one with the vibration dampener (38mm Suction Cup) towards the front. Us the two M8x20mm bolts and M8 lock washers you purchased. Yes they use the original Hilux body mounts

Place box into guard and mount - use the original M8 bolts from the Body mounts into the box using the M8 lock nuts you purchased.

Dummy mount the pipe --- you may need to use the Silicone lube now but be careful not to get it in the engine or filter box -- also dont tighten any clamps you are simply dummy mounting at this stage. Use tape to cover any holes

Once it is dummy mounted the next step is crucial for perfect alignment --- its actually the plastic cover that has the words V6 VVTi on it that will determine the final sitting place or angle of the box. see below

Next is to get the angel of the box just right and the image below is the best was to show you

Once the angel is right you may now need to give that front bracket its little bend to the forward bracket - please take it out and do it little by little in a vice - remeasure if you have to

Once this is all done you will then need to mark the hole for cutting in the inner guard. The bottom of the hole should start where the body work folds up to the side bodywork. You cannot miss it as its spot welded there.

Step 6 --- the cutting of the hole

The hole will be 100mm but you will need clearance so I made mine 110mm so that gives a neat 5mm gap all the way around. You can use a hole saw but if you cannot get one that big use a 1/8 drill bit and drill drill drill then file to a neat finish.

Use Anti-Rust paint

Step 7 - install Fuel Pressure Vac Line

Step 8 - install rest of system

Do not over tighten clamps on silicon joins - also after a week running come back and check tighten

Finish any wiring with back to back zip ties so wires do not work harden and fail due to vibration -- in the case be low use the stainless bracket and bolt - please note if using a 20mm long 6mm bolt in the cam cover please ensue it does not bottom out.

Just beautiful ---- Horsepower and Torque in a Box!!!!!

Handy to know Tips ---

if you have a bull bar that the manufacture was too tight to make a cover for under its side wings it would be a very good idea to make some to stop water mud and dirt getting up inside there

Tip 2

When installing the filter into the TRD Box it is very important to get this right

Tip 3

If you accidently cut the inner guard hole too large dont panic and use some "D-Seal" from Clark rubber and run around the hole

Cheers Gulfstream8 ---- enjoy responsibly :twisted:
Last edited by Gulfstream8 on Sat, 04 Jun 2016 11:42 +0000, edited 9 times in total.
Gulfstream8

Re: Hilux V6 TRD CAI Dyno Testing Review installation

Postby Weps on Thu, 02 Jun 2016 8:13 +0000

Love ya work mate!

Always such detailed info for us petrol heads
Weps

Postby Gulfstream8 on Fri, 03 Jun 2016 12:09 +0000

Weps wrote:Love ya work mate!

Always such detailed info for us petrol heads

Cheers -- sorry about my dirty engine bay I hope you can see what you need to clearly. The clowns that originally rust proofed the old girl covered all the painted areas and left out all the metal areas that needed it ---- had to get them to do it again!
Gulfstream8

Postby Gulfstream8 on Sat, 04 Jun 2016 8:18 +0000

Hello All

I have been getting a lot of PM's about the TRD CAI and I realized I left out some important information so I will edit above but also see below for additional information.

The TRD CAI's are designed for installation into USA spec Vehicles so some modification is required but some will be a direct fit like the FJ Cruiser ---- if you order the correct one!

The TRD CAI that works correctly on our 2005-2015 Gen 7 Hilux 1GR-FE is the TRD CAI PTR03-35090.

Vehicles with the Single VVTi 1GR-FE V6 = PTR03-35090
2005-2011 Tacoma and for the USA Spec FJ Cruiser 2007-2009 and that is why it requires some modification to install into the Hilux or Prado.

Vehicles with Dual VVti 1GR-FE
Please note for the Australian spec FJ Cruiser (we got the Dual VVTi 1GR-FE) or Dual VVti Prado you will need PTR03-89100

Please see list of vehicles below the TRD CAI's will fit ----- now with a little research you will find other Australian vehicles that the TRD CAI will fit.

Where to purchase
Its getting harder as Toyota Australia has put a stop to Aussies being able to order parts direct from USA Dealerships. I can understand this as they are paying for the rights to sell in Australia but its insane that one individual person can order a part from a USA dealership and pay full RRP and than pay to ship to Australia and still be cheaper than an Australian Dealership! ACCC anyone ?????

Ok whinge over ---- there are a lot of good eBay shops that sell TRD parts but you may be able to still get TRD parts from TRDparts4u which is backed up by Dallas Toyota http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/Sc ... efault.asp

I have also used Sparks Toyota and they have been good as well http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/displaycategory.php

TRD CAI Vehicle compatibility

Gulfstream8

Postby Sideways on Mon, 06 Jun 2016 6:46 +0000

Fantastic, well written, detailed write-up Gulfstream - I'm sure there will be many here benefiting from your
time and effort to put this together. 8-)
I'll second your findings on the CAI improvement - definitely worth doing on ANY V6 Hilux!
You will not find any better engine performance improvement for the money (inmho)

As mentioned above, I'll add that after looking at all the snorkels available on the market, they all suffered from irregular diameters and suspect flow rates (no matter what they were all claiming......)

I ended up fitting a Radius Engineering 4" stainless snorkel and have been VERY happy with it. I've done approx 30,000km's since fitting (including towing an offroad van around Aus) with absolutely no loss of power anywhere in the rev range.........plus the added bonus of it looking waaaay better than any plastic snorkel.
However, be aware that when combined with the CAI, induction sound does increase markedly as the top inlet faces backwards (and slightly inward) above the A pillar.
For those with TRD's or Raptor superchargers - the sound on wide open throttle is unbelievable!! :twisted:
http://www.radiusfabrications.com.au/

Some people may wonder why it's not forward like the plastic ones? Well, they simply cannot get a tight enough radius on such a large diameter stainless tube to make it face forward.
Also, the 'ram' effect of the plastic ones is seemingly debatable anyway........

Perhaps another benefit of the rear facing snorkel? After travelling 1000's of km's on (very) dusty outback tracks alongside 'regular' forward facing snorkel-equipped vehicles, I can safely say my air filter was nowhere near as filthy as the other vehicles we were travelling with. I blew out my filter every night (if we were on dirt roads) and it was consistently cleaner than our other travelling companions.

Cheers, S
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows..........
Sideways

Postby Gulfstream8 on Mon, 06 Jun 2016 8:05 +0000

Cheers - I really love the 1GR-FE so if I can be of help to others it's all good.

Thanks for the information on the Radius Engineering 4" Snorkel and helping the small number of us here with the Hilux V6 :twisted:
Gulfstream8

Postby Gulfstream8 on Tue, 28 Jun 2016 1:39 +0000

Update - as promised

I cannot fault the TRD CAI onto the V6 Hilux as it has been absolutely awsome. The extra torque (and power) make the V6 Hilux even more of a pleasure to drive.

Economy results so far are all very positive - please note I also have the Tacoma Headers and Burns tuned length exhaust with Borla mufflers.

Loaded 800kgs
Loaded with 800kgs in the back doing a combination of 110klm legal hi-way speeds (330klm) and 70klm of Sydney traffic the Hilux is now using 2.5lt less per 100klm.

Unloaded
Unloaded at 110klm hi-way legal speeds the Hilux is now using 1.5 Lt less per 100klm

Around crazy Sydney traffic
Around 0.4 to 0.5 Lts less per 100klm
Gulfstream8

Postby Phil675 on Tue, 28 Jun 2016 8:32 +0000

Brilliant post, well done Gulfstream8. I'm sure I will be heading down this route.
Phil675

Postby HK1837 on Wed, 29 Jun 2016 2:20 +0000

Interesting stuff Gulfstream, I'm going to look into this for mine. I have a before and after Dyno curve for my 2011 SR5 V6 auto dual cab as well but I can't post pictures here. The peak values are as below, both on 98 Octane. Stock standard vehicle initially other than fitment of 17" rims with 265/65/17 tyres. Mainline Dyno.

Before:

127.3kW @ 4615rpm (approx. 130km/h in 3rd)
449.5Nm @ 3357rpm (approx. 95km/h in 3rd).

After:
140.6kW @ 5019rpm
476.2Nm @ 3521rpm.

After is with a full Beaudesert Exhausts extractors to tailpipe system, 2.75" with XEDE processor. The AFTER torque curve is pretty flat as you say. My curve starts at about 2500rpm (approx. 60km/h) and it comes on flat at just under 450Nm, peaks to 476Nm and is still above 400Nm at 5250rpm.

Given mine is only a 13kW gain and 6% torque gain I may well have some more ponies hiding in the air intake. So once I get my SD7H15 crank driven air compressor fitted (for Endless air setup) I'll investigate this. I'm glad I saw this post now as where the airbox goes is where the air manifold was going, will have to move it backwards a bit.
HK1837

Postby Gulfstream8 on Wed, 29 Jun 2016 9:39 +0000

Cheers all - always happy to help fellow 1GR-FE owners.

HK1837
I'm sure you already know but just encase ---- the TRD CAI is specifically designed for the Toyota ECU Software and TRD Supercharged ECU Software so please esure you gently drive it to the Dyno shop for testing after fitting as you have mentioned you are running the XEDE piggy back just encase a few parameters are different - or maybe Bullet Performance can advise. I would hate to hear about a damaged 1GR-FE.
Last edited by Gulfstream8 on Thu, 30 Jun 2016 6:05 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Gulfstream8

Postby HK1837 on Thu, 30 Jun 2016 4:56 +0000

I'll ask Chiptorque as they put the XEDE programs in for the car. It has 2 x programs, one for 98 and the other for E10/95 so the lower tune that has less advance would probably be prudent on its first dyno run. I have a blanking plug too so the XEDE can be removed. The main reasons I put the XEDE in though were to avoid error codes (from the high flow cats) and to stop the engine over-fuelling as the factory setting seems to run to rich to protect the cats.
I did an E10 vs 98 dyno comparison too, and often run it on E10 as it makes bugger all difference to economy and has a little less torque.

Edit - Chiptorque recommended a run on a dyno after install to check it isn't leaning out too much. Switch to E10/95 program running 98 once in and drive slow until Dyno run. A local dyno mob has the XEDE software so all good. Might buy one tonight off US Ebay. $US365plus $US68 delivery. Get it in this financial year for tax saving.
HK1837

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 30 Jun 2016 7:03 +0000

Ha ha that's awesome HK1837 you won't regret it ---- in fact I'm sure you will come back and say I wished I installed the TRD CAI sooner :twisted:

The XEDE people (Chiptorque) really know their stuff and apparently good customer service and backup and also Tom from Bullet the same again very switched on people - have heard Bullets TRD supercharger kit is very well sorted. There use to be a young fella there at Chiptorque that did the early R&D for the XEDE and everyone in the indulstry raved about him. Also heard that the XEDE is very well made for a Piggy Back.
Gulfstream8

Postby HK1837 on Thu, 30 Jun 2016 7:38 +0000

I liked your Ford Ranger story above. I went down to Blacktown on Monday to get a canopy fitted. Had my box trailer on to pickup some side steps as I bent mine with the hoist. It weighs about 400kg or so. I stopped at a set of lights out west on the way to the M4. Someone who thinks their new dual cab XLT Redhead is faster than it is came up my inside expecting to scoot past the Hilux and trailer once the lights changed and before the LH lane ended. So the lights change and the Ranger's off. I take it easy and stay next to the Ranger. Then plant it, and the Hilux and trailer leave the Ford in its wake. Also had the same thing happen locally but a 150 Series 'Cruiser D4D trying to sneak up the side, I had the trailer on the back with about 500kg of blue metal in it. Prado owner quickly found out how fast a 3.0L D4D isn't, couldn't even out accelerate a Hilux towing near a tonne!
HK1837

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 30 Jun 2016 8:57 +0000

Ha ha absolutely gold :lol: yes I get it all the time around Sydney and it's funny as the V6 Hilux just so effortlessly pulls away from them loaded or unloaded without driving like Politician trying to make another free lunch!

The other one I like telling people is "real world fuel economy" with the V6 Hilux. Yes no arguments that if you drive the D4D and 1GR-FE both efficiently the D4D will be better or if you drive the V6 hard it will drink faster than most on a mad Monday. But it's when the D4D (and I have plenty of mates with them) starts driving hard to keep up with traffic------or trying to keep up with a V6 Hilux just driving gently. The fuel usage difference is minimal and at times the D4D will drink more.
Gulfstream8

Postby HK1837 on Fri, 01 Jul 2016 5:15 +0000

A friend and I have almost identical Hiluxes bought new in 2011, mine V6 auto his D4D auto. A few differences now like mine has 17" rims and his 16", but tyres are close in diameter and mine has a bulbar. Similar driving to and from areas close to each other. Mine does a fair bit more towing. Mine averages about 13.9-14.4L/100 depending upon the amount of towing in a particular period, his does 11.9-12L/100. I give mine a flogging normally, whereas his is driven far more economically. So 2-2.5L/100kM doing at most 12-15,000kM per annum is somewhere in the vicinity of 300-400L more fuel, so maybe $350-$450 for fuel assuming they are the same cost for fuel. The diesel was $2000 dearer back then, so that's 4-5 years before you break even with the diesel, ignoring the often 20c/litre extra for diesel around here and the extra servicing costs once the factory fixed price servicing is finished.
HK1837

Postby Plumb Perfect on Sat, 09 Jul 2016 10:00 +0000

Great write up on the CAI and very interesting. Many thanks.

Also so good to hear from guys who feel the same about the V6 as I do. I have a single cab V6 4x4 and absolutely love it. Did a heap of research before purchasing as I "did" want a D4D, but found that they had a whole host of issues and aren't really that powerful. A few friends had D4D SR5s which I did drive a lot. Compared to the V6 which seems ultra reliable aong with the benefits of being smooth, clean/quieter and a shit load more powerful (power & torque that it is). Yes, it uses more fuel especially as I have my work gear bolted in permanently BUT as was said, in the real world the difference is actually minimal. It's really noticeable when we do longer trips to Fraser Island from Syd for example. Side by side the difference is maybe less than a 1/4 tank pretty much.

I now need a dual cab as my first child was born recently and have an extra body to carry round. So after the my experience I still would go for a V6 over the diesel.
Actually a TRD is exactly what's on the cards as I think you get the best of both worlds with diesel like low down torque and some power to go with.

PS: I have already convinced 2 other mates and they both now have TRDS and love them
Plumb Perfect

Postby taresk on Mon, 08 Aug 2016 2:03 +0000

Very good write-up, if I hadn't already fitted a Denso, I'd definitely go down that route.

I was originally looking at the Airaid versions with their washable dry filters, but they had the same issue of alignment (being designed for Taco's).

It still amazes me how many people overlook the V6 (they even forget to mention it exists in most Hilux reviews), which is a shame, because Toyota will probably drop it from the line-up because nobody buys it, and yes I've left a few Ranger drivers in a state of confusion too ;)
taresk

Postby Gulfstream8 on Mon, 08 Aug 2016 7:23 +0000

taresk wrote:Very good write-up, if I hadn't already fitted a Denso, I'd definitely go down that route.

I was originally looking at the Airaid versions with their washable dry filters, but they had the same issue of alignment (being designed for Taco's).

It still amazes me how many people overlook the V6 (they even forget to mention it exists in most Hilux reviews), which is a shame, because Toyota will probably drop it from the line-up because nobody buys it, and yes I've left a few Ranger drivers in a state of confusion too ;)

Cheers thanks taresk - yes I find it frustrating that the 1GR-FE gets hammered about its fuel economy and it's usually by people who have never owned one or heard about some guy who new this guy who heard of another guy that told him they are thirsty; or they simply drive them like they stole it!

You can still install the TRD CAI it just requires a little modification. If you cover up the original TRD CAI inlet hole and install a suitable PVC water pipe flange to line up with the Denso snorkel. You may have to modify the box a little as it needs to sit further back towards the driver.

It would be a bit of playing around but you will still achieve results as a lot of the gains are in the pipe work where the MAF sits tricking the ECU and giving the engine more ignition and ultimately more torque and power.
Gulfstream8

Postby taresk on Tue, 09 Aug 2016 12:05 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:You can still install the TRD CAI it just requires a little modification. If you cover up the original TRD CAI inlet hole and install a suitable PVC water pipe flange to line up with the Denso snorkel. You may have to modify the box a little as it needs to sit further back towards the driver.

It would be a bit of playing around but you will still achieve results as a lot of the gains are in the pipe work where the MAF sits tricking the ECU and giving the engine more ignition and ultimately more torque and power.

That's an interesting idea, I might do some research and try and find some more photos of the lower section, to see what would be involved, I've got time to think about it, Hilux mods are on the backburner at the moment while I fund other stuff, but you've definitely got me thinking ;)
taresk

Postby JACKDLUX on Tue, 16 Aug 2016 9:28 +0000

Great write up gulfstream... very detailed...

I will be installing this to my 05 dual cab sr5..as the gains look impressive.

I have owned my 05 for 7 years and its been great,it averaged around 440km per tank to fuel light on, its running 285s with additional extra weight from stretched chassis,extra cab well body,canopy,heavy duty bedslide and loaded with tools...

I had purchased a new sr d4d in 2014 to be the dedicated work vehicle and am now selling it and going back to the old sr5.

over the last 2 years i found the d4d to be highly overrated and found you just cant have the same fun as the v6 on or off road. :D
JACKDLUX

Next

Return to Engines