Toyotally awesome 2WD

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Toyotally awesome 2WD

Postby foundry_man on Sun, 22 Mar 2015 9:10 +0000

Picked up this 07 SR5 2WD V6 Auto and the end of 2014, after wanting something a bit more capable off road,

4x4 SR5's weren't really in my budget, and neither were any other makes at the time,
I've been into USA desert racing/pre runners etc for a couple years and know that 2WD's are more than capable in the dirt with the right mods.

only set back is this a 5 stud, and i'm limited in the choice of affordable suspension options :?

so anyway, here's where i'm up to currently with the build.

when i first picked up it, complete with way too much fat chrome tubing

as soon as i got it home, i removed the nudge bar, side steps, and rear step

drove it like this up untill a couple weeks ago when i had some spare change to get some parts

checked ebay/gumtree everyday for tyres, was hoping to find some 30x9.5's which i did finally,
BFG A/T's bit old, but good tread still, i had sold the nudge bar the week before, and that paid for the tyres.

no way could I afford any brand new ones right now, i've got my weddding in June, and then honeymoon in Oct, so as long as these last untill then they will be fine.

got them mounted on a set of 15x7 +7 dynamic steel wheels, test fitting

had to machine up some hub centric rings for the rear, as the center in the wheels is 84mm, and my hubs are 60mm...

the front wheels were hitting the caliper, which i knew would happen, so we machined some 4mm hub centric slip on spacers for the front, plenty of thread left on the stud, so i'm happy with that.

as far as suspension mods go, i've removed the overload leafs from the rear, which has softened up the ride when you hit big bumps, i don't carry any load really apart from my bike or whatever

and in the front i fitted a pair of king springs "Raised" springs which were supposed to offer around 30mm lift, but I only gained 10mm, hardly worth the effort, but the ride and handling improved a lot.

I'm planning on machining up some 6mm strut shims to hopefully gain another 10mm or so lift, without sacrificing too much down travel.

went for a quick lap around Mt Disappointment, and here she is currently.

next i'd like to replace the rear shocks, maybe trd bilsteins might work
and for the front I have absolutely no idea what to do, unless i can stumble upon a few grand to get an Icon Motorsport mid travel kit from the USA...

:mrgreen:
should have bought a 6 stud
foundry_man

Re: Toyotally awesome 2WD

Postby Pete'90 on Sun, 22 Mar 2015 11:04 +0000

See if spring spacers help you out more than strut spacers. Your shock length may have also limited the height gained from your new springs
Build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23139

Regards
Pete
Pete'90

Postby foundry_man on Sun, 22 Mar 2015 3:00 +0000

cheers Pete!

I havn't come across any that suit this model yet, but i'll keep searching, that sounds the way to go at this stage, I hadn't thought about it like that 8-)
foundry_man

Postby Tradewind on Sun, 22 Mar 2015 8:05 +0000

Your paint must be getting stone chipped to hell with no mudflaps or similar to deflect stones

Some interesting mods by the way!
Hilux V6 4.0 - 2006 with Supercharger. 256rwkw/320kw engine - 575Nm Torque
Tradewind

Postby foundry_man on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 2:12 +0000

ha ha! true, i may put the rear mud flaps back on soon, but i guess when i made the decision to set it up for off road, i got to live with the chips, bumps and scratches.

if it was a brand new car i'd be pretty strict about it, but for now its good fun.

in the future i may vinyl wrap the whole truck in matte tan or something like that, might be pretty sweet!

I'm planning on building a nice simple rear tube bar shortly, and while we have the bender out, i'd like to re-do the sports bars into something a bit more subtle, they are handle to tie stuff too, but to me they have always looked way too big and out of proportion.

i'd take them off, but my tonneau has the cut outs in it... :P
foundry_man

Postby lverass on Mon, 18 May 2015 12:59 +0000

Did you have any rubbing issues putting those tyres on the 2wd? How has the speedo and gearing been with the bigger diameter?

I'm considering doing exactly the same on my 2010 2WD (though using 0 offset King Wheels)
lverass

Postby foundry_man on Sun, 26 Jul 2015 6:50 +0000

hey sorry for the late reply!

i get slight scrubbing in the front end on the guard lip just forward of top center, just not enough lift so if i hit a dip or something at speed it scrubs, if i could get another 25mm lift i believe it would be fine, no issues with turning clearance though.

if i ran a less aggressive tread tyre i dont think it would scrub either, those BFG's have huge sidewall bits.

0 offset might be better, but still could contact the inner guard liner.
foundry_man

Postby Tfost on Wed, 14 Mar 2018 3:26 +0000

How much is your Speedo out from using tyres that big?
Tfost

Postby CB23 on Wed, 14 Mar 2018 4:15 +0000

Tfost wrote:How much is your Speedo out from using tyres that big?

Use this page, it will tell you speedo error: https://tiresize.com/comparison/
CB23

Postby Pro_lux on Tue, 22 May 2018 11:20 +0000

Just curious how this project is going? Any mods or updates?
Pro_lux

Postby foundry_man on Thu, 14 Mar 2019 5:07 +0000

very late reply sorry guys!

flat out with new baby/new job all that fun stuff.

i have since fitted new shocks all round, full set from ironman, added their trim spacer rings to gain a neat 30mm lift in the front.

running 30x9.5R15 dynapro's

havn't really had any time to do much with it other than general maintenance, i'd like to get a canopy for it next.

i'll get some pics of the suspension and its current stance.

the speedo at 100km/h is out by about 7 or so, nothing too concerning
foundry_man

Postby makeamends00 on Wed, 06 Nov 2019 9:36 +0000

foundry_man wrote:very late reply sorry guys!

flat out with new baby/new job all that fun stuff.

i have since fitted new shocks all round, full set from ironman, added their trim spacer rings to gain a neat 30mm lift in the front.

running 30x9.5R15 dynapro's

havn't really had any time to do much with it other than general maintenance, i'd like to get a canopy for it next.

i'll get some pics of the suspension and its current stance.

the speedo at 100km/h is out by about 7 or so, nothing too concerning

hey mate, I have 2011 SR 2WD Toyota Hilux 3.0D and I've been looking for a lot of info that I have managed to find in this thread which is great as Im planning the same,

- how have you found the iron man kit? I'm looking at getting the following: http://www.ironman4x4.com/category-products/suspension/suspension-kits?page=65
- Any problems with the 30x9
- my stocks wheels and tyres are 15x6 inches with 205x70 R15 = approx 24" in total - if I go with a new Iron Man Suspension Kit approx 50mm (2") lift + the difference between a 24" and 30" = approx 8" difference between stock and new - whats your thoughts on this, did you have a similar situation?

Thanks heaps
makeamends00

Return to Member Build Ups