"PATROLUX" build up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

"PATROLUX" build up

Postby Web-eng on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 10:32 +0000

G’day Guys,

I’ve been lurking around here for a while now, and thought it was about time I started a build thread of my own.

I’m in the process of fitting a 2WD 2005 Hilux dual cab body to a 99 GU Patrol chassis. It will be running a twin turbo Toyota 2JZ-GTE engine through a Toyota Dyna 5 speed gearbox fitted with an early 90s Hilux gear drive transfer case.
I’ve been running this engine and gearbox in my old 99 Hilux for about 8 years now and it has proven to be a fantastic setup.
The engine is completely stock apart from a 3” exhaust and a cheapo intercooler which is roughly twice the size of the factory one. On the dyno, this produced 199Kw (267Hp) at the wheels which equates to around 270Kw (362Hp) at the flywheel, and being basically factory standard, it’s as reliable as an old diesel Land Cruiser!

Chassis modifications will be fairly extensive involving lengthening to suit the Hilux body, new mounts, new cross members for the gearbox, centre bearing, and spare wheel, a new fuel tank, fuel and brake lines, steering shaft modifications, suspension upgrades, etc.
I will be fitting a Superior Engineering lift kit which will be about 3” although the body will sit a little higher on the chassis than it would on the Hilux chassis to get everything to fit so it will look reasonably high.

As the Patrol wheelbase was a little shorter than the Hilux I had to lengthen the chassis accordingly. I’ve made it slightly longer than the Hilux so I could position the front axle about 25mm or so further forward of where it would be on a Hilux to accommodate some larger tyres. Unfortunately the width of the Patrol diffs/axle housings is considerably wider than the Hilux though so even with some Monster Rides flares, wheel sizing is fairly critical to keep the tyres under the guards.

I intended on running some 285/75R17 (equivalent to 34”) tyres but as an American size, have proven difficult to obtain so far. There should be plenty of clearance for some 35s however the legal maximum I can run on the Patrol chassis is 34” and as all of this has to be engineered and certified, I’d rather save the hassles with the transport guys and the boys in blue.

People keep asking me why I’m doing this mod rather than just buying a 4WD Hilux in the first place and there are a few reasons for it:
- I wanted to keep the engine/gearbox from the old Hilux. As the engine is older than the new Hilux, it doesn’t comply with the emissions standards for the newer vehicle so can’t be engineered. As the “Patrolux” will be registered as a modified 99 GU Patrol, the engine complies with the emissions for the chassis. Besides this, the front diff is on the wrong side for my transfer case.
- The Hilux IFS suspension is far more difficult and expensive to modify for greater flex and larger tyres.
- The Patrol has a good variety of standard diff ratios and the diffs are considerably stronger than the Hilux diffs are.
- I estimate that by the time I’m finished, it will owe me little more than half what a modified Hilux would (not allowing for my own time and labour of course) and it will be exactly what I want.
And the biggest reason of all……… Because I can!!!

I’ll be doing all of the work myself and obviously there will be heaps of custom made stuff required so I’ll post pictures up from time to time as I progress.

Hope you enjoy my build up!

Cheers,
Dave.

The Patrol before being dismantled.

[imghttp://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/attachments/members-rides-19/448937d1519190547-patrolux-custom-build-thread-img-5-jpg][/img]
Patrol Chassis and the 2WD Hilux which the cab will come from.

Removing the Hilux cab.

Side by side the flatter profile of the Hilux chassis is obvious. this is the reason the cab had to sit a little higher on the Patrol chassis. Equivalent to a 1.5" body lift I'd say.

Here the lengthened sections in the chassis rails can be seen.

The cab is lowered onto the chassis for the first of many times.

Here the cab is bolted onto the new mounts. I've fitted a 17" Patrol wheel with a +10 offset and a 33" tyre to check on the clearance between the tyre and guards.

The Patrol rear cross member is removed and a new one is fitted to mount the spare wheel.
Last edited by Web-eng on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:56 +0000, edited 3 times in total.
99 Twin Turbo Hilux build up
PATROLUX build up - 05 cab on GU Patrol chassis LSA engine swap
Web-eng

Re: Dave's "PATROLUX" build

Postby dano85 on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 11:19 +0000

Cant wait to see this unfold! Best of luck.
dano85

Postby Brewer on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 11:33 +0000

Awesome.
Brewer

Postby white_hilux on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 1:00 +0000

that's a pretty awesome project. Good luck with it :D :D
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Postby ScotsMan on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 1:27 +0000

Glad to see you finally got a build started sounds like a great project !
ScotsMan
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rocket55 on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 1:35 +0000

Patrol strength and running gear in a smaller Hilux body, best of both worlds! awesome :D
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby HLUXRY on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 2:18 +0000

Sensational. Keep the updates coming!
Man VS Wild - In Australia mate... We call it Camping!
HLUXRY

Postby mylux04 on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 2:58 +0000

Good luck with it all awesome project
keep the pics coming.
Cheers Tony
mylux04

Postby jakelux on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 3:08 +0000

Hellz yeah... Gonna be awesome, keep the updates coming!
jakelux

Postby GazaShaggy on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 4:16 +0000

Sweet read some of your post and was hoping you'd start a build thread defiantly subscribing to this one.
My Build Up http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18525
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it!
GazaShaggy

Postby n0_pAnCaKeS on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 5:59 +0000

This thing is insane! :o Definitely gonna keep an eye on this one
D4-D the way to be

My 05 Xtra cab build
n0_pAnCaKeS

Postby Kizzzaaa on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 6:01 +0000

Swwweeeet!
Kizzzaaa

Postby UltraLuxe on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 7:01 +0000

I'm so keen to see how this ends up, seriously cool mate keep us posted
UltraLuxe

Postby jaybags on Wed, 14 Jan 2015 5:58 +0000

Following :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Jay

My (super slow) build - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20120
jaybags

Postby jaydo on Wed, 14 Jan 2015 7:36 +0000

can't wait to see a finished product! Will be watching close!
jaydo

Postby Web-eng on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 9:47 +0000

Just a quick update. I've got the Patrol booster and master cylinder all bolted up as well as a new clutch slave cylinder with its own fluid reservoir. As the 2JZ engine has a mechanical throttle rather than the "fly by wire" throttle like the Hilux, I've had to fit a throttle cable and accelerator pedal too.
Also fitted the new steering shaft which required a couple of uni joints to connect to the Patrol steering box and cut 50mm out of the shock towers to help clear the inner guards.
I've modified the Xrox bullbar mounts to fit the Patrol Chassis and ordered a set of flares from Monster Rides.
I fitted a stereo and UHF too but I think they look a bit "old school" in the Hilux dash so I might update them with a new double din stereo and relocate the UHF elsewhere when I get a chance.

Next job is to get the 2JZ engine out of the old Hilux and fit another one to it so I still have a driver. Then I can fit the engine and gearbox to the Patrolux and fab the engine and gearbox mounts and make a start on the exhaust.

Last edited by Web-eng on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 10:56 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Web-eng

Postby Kizzzaaa on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 3:55 +0000

This is going to be awesome, looks good already!
Kizzzaaa

Postby kroozer on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 4:32 +0000

this is awesome man, looks like you're nearly there haha, I'm sure there's heaps to do though, its the fiddly things that take time. keeps the pics coming. good work
kroozer

Postby Web-eng on Tue, 20 Jan 2015 5:10 +0000

Yeah, looks can be deceiving and there's still a heap of things to do. Just to give you some idea of what is still ahead, I've got to fit the engine and gearbox next so I can fab up the cross member for the gearbox mount and make the new engine mounts. I also have to fit a cross member for the rear tail shaft centre bearing which will also support the front end of the fuel tank. Then I'll pull the engine and gearbox back out and remove the cab again so I can finish welding up the cab mounts and chassis extension which are all basically just tack welded together at the moment.

Once all the chassis work is done, I'll give it all a coat of paint before fitting new fuel and brake lines and fitting the new suspension parts. Then the cab can go back on for the last time (I hope) and the engine and gearbox can go back in before I weld up a 3" SS exhaust, fit a front mounted intercooler, and organise a couple of custom made tail shafts.

Then it's just the fiddly bits. Custom aluminium radiator, fab a stainless steel fuel tank and surge tank, finish off the wiring, custom made A/C and power steering lines, custom made air box, the list goes on!!! :shock:
I also want to do a rear quarter chop and fab a new rear bar to suit so I'll have to fit up the guard flares and modify them to suit the chop pull them off to get them painted.
I plan to something similar to what Scotsman has done with his quarter chop and rear bar except without the wheel carrier. See photo from Scotsman's build up: Scotsman's quarter chop and rear bar

I also have to machine a new rear housing for the transfer case. This is because the Patrol has a gearbox mounted tail shaft hand brake and since I'm using a Hilux transfer case, I have no hand brake. To rectify this I'll be fitting a disc brake to the rear output and using a small Wilwood mechanical calliper for the hand brake. Also, the Hilux speed sensor unit is much bigger than the cable drive output in the older transfer case so I can machine the new rear housing to suit both the calliper mount and the larger speed sensor unit.
Once I get the hand brake sorted, I might do a bolt on kit to suit the later model Hilux transfer case as well if anyone is interested? All CNC machined in 6061 aluminium.
Web-eng

Postby Diezel45 on Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:14 +0000

would be interesting to see a total cost when it is done to compare it to the people who have done SAS conversions.
All the gear, With no idea

My Build - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18831&hilit=allrounder
Diezel45

Next

Return to Member Build Ups