Fitting factory towbar wiring harness

Re: Fitting factory towbar wiring harness

Postby aandy on Mon, 28 May 2012 7:58 +0000

Freadbear,

You still need both harnesses.
The relay harness will already be fitted if you got a bullbar factory fitted.

Its not a mammoth job, just a little time consuming working out where to run the wires, mine run through the chassis from about rear of the rear door to just behind the shock if that helps anyone, buggered if i could find a better cable run.

sydneycityparts Ebay store will make a listing for you if you ask, $225 for both harnesses delivered was my price.

aandy
aandy

Postby fredbear on Mon, 28 May 2012 9:16 +0000

[quote="aandy"]Freadbear,
You still need both harnesses.
The relay harness will already be fitted if you got a bullbar factory fitted.
Its not a mammoth job, just a little time consuming working out where to run the wires, mine run through the chassis from about rear of the rear door to just behind the shock if that helps anyone, buggered if i could find a better cable run.
sydneycityparts Ebay store will make a listing for you if you ask, $225 for both harnesses delivered was my price.
aandy[/quote

Thanks Andy, I ran out of items to add to the "throw in " list when I was negotiating the sr5 deal.... oh well good news re sydneycity parts, thanks for that. I'll have to get both harnesses as I have ordered an ARB deluxe bar, not a toyota one.
Thx again.
fredbear

Postby Fredgreen on Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:09 +0000

I'm lost, what do with with the with wiring loom pluug for my trailer lights? I can't find where to plug it in. The instruction book said take out the blank plug.

What I do with the relay box? I have a 013 TD twin cab.

Fredgreen

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 25 Aug 2013 2:32 +0000

Fit the relay box (arrows)and then plug it in one of the 2 plugs on the relay box. (Circles)
Then remember if you blow a trailer indicator fuse it is located in that relay box.
Hope this helps
boxhead55

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 25 Aug 2013 2:35 +0000

You
Should have a black bracket to locate the relay box. On the side of the ute see arrow An earth wire and a fuses power wire.
boxhead55

Postby Fredgreen on Sun, 25 Aug 2013 3:08 +0000

The plug out the realy box and the plug from the new loom are different. The relay box is the same as the picture in the first post (round pins) but the new loom has flat pins. There is no way they will fit together. I'm starting to think I have the wrong loom to the relay box.
Fredgreen

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 25 Aug 2013 4:04 +0000

You have to unplug the white terminator/sealer plug from one of the relay box white plugs. Then all will be revealed. What u have in the pic u supplied is correct.
boxhead55

Postby xhall on Sat, 31 Aug 2013 5:13 +0000

Hi, new to this site. I am doing the same install on an 07 single cab. I thought the same thing about the engine bay/cabin harness. It seems as if the plugs won't fit or are the wrong type for the plug on the relay harness, which you buy separately if not previously installed.

I actually went back to toyota to complain that they had sold me the wrong harness only to look like a dumbass when they explained that you have to take off the covers/blanking plugs on the relay harness. Actually, they didn't have a clue what I was on about and told me they had sold millions of these and I was the first one to have a problem with the harness. I guess they are just there to protect the connecting pins whilst the plugs are dangling around in the engine bay - not connected. And to protect the left-over plug from damage if you don't end up installing a bull-bar.

TIP - If you take a very close look at the plugs on the relay wiring loom there is a clip to release the blanking plugs. This is mentioned in the manual.

I bought a toyota tow bar recently from the wreckers, it was in reasonable condition but being from a mining vehicle - was covered in red dust and some rust. The hitch was completely stuck, which the chap didn't mention when I bought it, so I heated up and whacked it out with a sledge hammer. Then I took it to get sandblasted and powder coated and it turned out a treat. Installed it on the back of the ute already.

In the process of installing everything as we speak and was trolling the web to see if I could get any tips for the installation. And so that is why you are listening to me yammering on.

Will post some pictures as I go through the install if anyone is interested. Although I don't really know how yet.
Last edited by xhall on Sat, 31 Aug 2013 11:35 +0000, edited 18 times in total.
xhall

Postby xhall on Sat, 31 Aug 2013 5:59 +0000

Ok , figured out how to post images.

Some douchebag spray painted over rust.

Hitch was completely stuck due to clay slurry and rust .....heat and a sledge hammer fixed that.

Here smoothed off some corners and sharp edges before sandblasting so the paint would stick.

Sandblasted, zinc undercoat and black gloss powder coat finish, installed towbar. Better than new!

Purchased new fasteners too.

Last edited by xhall on Sat, 31 Aug 2013 2:21 +0000, edited 6 times in total.
xhall

Postby xhall on Sat, 31 Aug 2013 9:55 +0000

Here's a photo of the disconnected blanking plug.

xhall

Postby xhall on Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:51 +0000

Some pics of the chassis wiring installation from cabin to rear tailgate.

You lift the lino up and there is a grommit under the seat to push the cable through and fit the rubber grommit.

Under the car rubber grommit fitted.

Rest of the photos are just routing the cable. Diagrams in the manual are not really helpful and they are for 2 or 3 different models. Mine is a standard SR. Was thinking of going to a toyota dealership and taking a look under a hilux with a factory fitted towbar and wiring harness to see how they did.....nope just made it as tidy as I could making sure its not routed where it might get crushed.

xhall

Postby VMN on Wed, 04 Sep 2013 1:01 +0000

In the three years since I wrote the original how to on this thread, it is worth mentioning that I have seen heaps of Hiluxes since. In every case, the loom was not installed in accordance with the Toyota instructions.

The dealers have just run the wire down along the passenger side chassis rail to save time. This might be OK for most trailers but if you wish to install electric brakes, wires have to be routed into the cabin.

It would be much better to insist that the job is done in accordance with the Toyota instruction in the first place so the wires are already in the cab when required.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby xhall on Wed, 04 Sep 2013 4:55 +0000

Hey VMN, just finished my install. I have a single cab so does the wiring look like its in the correct place? Its difficult trying to interpret the diagrams, so had to make do and ran the cable down the drivers side as per the instructions. All the lights work and I can hear the relay ticking in the engine bay when the indicators are working. Just have to hire a trailer to make sure its all OK.
xhall

Postby VMN on Wed, 04 Sep 2013 5:21 +0000

xhall wrote:Hey VMN, just finished my install. I have a single cab so does the wiring look like its in the correct place? Its difficult trying to interpret the diagrams, so had to make do and ran the cable down the drivers side as per the instructions. All the lights work and I can hear the relay ticking in the engine bay when the indicators are working. Just have to hire a trailer to make sure its all OK.

Sorry if you thought I was being critical. My article was nothing about your install. Just adding to the story I started as RodW in the past.

I am sure yours is OK. I agree the instructions are hard to follow. No need to hire a trailer to test your wiring. I m sure it is fine. a $10 multimeter prodding around the socket would confirm this.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby xhall on Wed, 11 Sep 2013 9:59 +0000

OK, no worries. I have a multimeter and can test the pins. Should be all good.
Pretty happy overall with the install. Took a few days, including sandblasting, powdercoating and chasing parts, but in the end turned out well. And the cost was a few hundred dollars cheaper than a new factory install.
xhall

Postby speedybob on Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:31 +0000

I have a 2010 dual cab with Toyota tow bar and harness. I wish to fit the electric brake controller. Where do I connect the blue electric brake wire under the dash ?
speedybob
speedybob

Postby boxhead55 on Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:38 +0000

Remove the right hand front door plastic step tread. That is gust to the right of the right front seat. With that removed the tow bar wiring harness should be visible. The blue wire should be right there.
This is if the person fitted it as per the instructions.

Hope this helps.
boxhead55

Postby sypher on Mon, 23 Sep 2013 5:09 +0000

Does the factory harness have a hot wire for the caravan fridge already?
sypher

Postby unruly_teapot on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 1:00 +0000

Hey, just to add some things I found when doing the instal.
Follow the Toyota instructions but
1. No need to remove the main grommet or use a guide wire when poking the engine bay wires through the firewall. You will need to poke through a membrane once you have cut the blank nipple off but after that the cable (add some soap for lube) will easily poke through. You will also easily find the wire protruding through on the other side.
2. You need to remove the door sill trim to run your wire. Pull up on the long edge that is on the outside of the car. It sounds like you are breaking things but it pops back together. The last movement is to hinge it up in the same manner.
3. The grommet you are looking for under the drivers seat is the one above the chassis rail. It doesn't make any sense when you do it but trust me. You will find it enters the cabin under the middle of the drivers seat and is a %%%% to get to with big hands. Be sneaky about it, it isn't worth trying to lift the carpet like they say in the instructions.
4. Leave yourself lots of free play in the wire between the body and the chassis rail so you can easily install a body lift when they become fashionable. (Remember you might have to lift it more than the final lift height during installation)
5. Running the cable down the chassis is harder than it should be, the pre installed clips do not align with their holes 100% so don't worry when you find you have to move them.
6. If when you've finished you find your automatic windows don't work then you need to reset them. (The auto lettering will be flashing a pattern *-*----*-*----) I don't know the actual sequence but holding the switch down for 10 seconds when the window is all the way down and then winding up and holding in the up position for 10 seconds does the trick. But it is bloody worrying for electrics to inexplicably stop working after doing uneventful work on the car.
unruly_teapot

Fitting factory towbar wiring harness

Postby boxhead55 on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 2:47 +0000

With reference to step 5 and the miss aligned clips.
Not all the clips get used as the harness is one fits all that's many different chassises.
For example the fit up to a 4x4 duel cab there will be 5 clips you don't use. We cut them off to make the install look neater.

Good right up man well done.
boxhead55

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical