Fitting Turbo to 2.8 (3L) HiLux

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Postby jarrad2314 on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:22 +0000

This isn't my write up found it on another forum, just thought to post it here so that it would be easy to find for anyone who needs instruction. I take no credit for the writing of these steps/instructions.

Hey guys, I have recently installed a turbo from a 2.4 surf to my 2.8 hilux with excellent results and simple methods, I have also saved over $2000 by installing it all myself and not buying a turbo kit!.

I am going to do a write-up so you guys can also do this and save lots of money and gain lots of POWER!, it really is like a new machine, and makes the hilux 2.8 the perfect vehicle.

Items needed/items I used:
Turbo- $300 ebay
2.4 Manifold - $110 wreckers
Exhaust flange plate - $10 local exhaust shop
Braided Water lines- $45 ebay
braided Oil lines - $45 ebay
turbine outlet elbow - $50 very nice man from bribie!
Oil hose - $20 supercheap auto
Water hose - $10 supercheap auto
Rubber couplings - $200!! supercheap auto
Intercooling piping/Exhaust tubing - $30 local exhaust shop
High temp liquid gasket - $15 supercheap auto
Gasket material (metal) - $5 local exhaust shop
Brass T - $12 supercheap auto
Hose clamps - $ 10 supercheap auto
Air compressor Thread seal tape. - $5 supercheap auto
Boost gauge - $35 crazysales.com.au
Pyrometer - $40 ebay (still waiting for delivery)

Tools Needed:
tig or arc welder
Assorted sockets, Metric and imperial
Screw Drivers, Philips head and flat head.
Hammers
Metal files
Grinder
Vice
Paint (if wanted)
Metal cutters
Thread tapping Kit.

Step 1
The 1st thing you need to do is make sure you have every part that you need, this makes life much much easier as my truck was out of action for about 3 weeks due to not being able to find parts!!

Step 2:
Okay, you will need to remove your old 2.8 exhaust manifold, to do this you will need to remove the a/c unit with the 4 bolts located on the corners.
After you have the a/c unit off you will need to remove the a/c bracket that is bolted to the block, the bolts are easily visible and accessible, this is the bracket with the a/c belt tensioner attached.
Once you've got this all off you can now reach all the manifold bolts easily, when you take the manifold off keep the gasket as you will need it for the new manifold.

Step 3:
Now you will need to cut the old exhaust gasket in half and flip one half over to match it to the new bolt pattern of the 2.4 manifold, you will also need to move one exhaust stud to which ever hole you feel necessary.
then before you fit the manifold you need to put liquid high temp gasket all over the old exhaust gasket to ensure it seals well, them you can bolt it up nice and tight, then you can re-attach the a/c bracket and a/c unit.

Step 4:
Okay now your almost ready to attach the turbo, but 1st you need to locate a good oil feed and return, some people T into the alt oil line, this is risky as high oil pressure means it could just break apart, i used an oil feed already present on the block itself, this is the best way in my opinion as it means you don’t compromise your alt.

And this is my Braided oil feed line bolted into the feed nice and tight to ensure no leaks form!

as for the oil return, there is almost no pressure in the oil return line so you can do what you like with it, i chose to use the alt return line as i did not want to drill into the sump, this will not compromise your alt as it is a very low pressure line, so insert a brass T and fit your turbo drain into the pipe, make sure you return flows freely!! if oil sits in a low point of the line it will cause oil to backup and slow the rate of the return and this can cause turbo troubles, i tackled this problem for days as there is very little room down new the alt!.
This is my braided oil return line being T'ed into the alt return...

Step 5:
Okay now that you have a good oil feed and oil return you can fit the turbo, before you fit it you will need a turbo gasket, you can buy these off ebay for $60 that have the manifold gasket and exhaust gasket, i made my own from some gasket material from my local exhaust shop. when you fit the turbo remember to PRIME YOUR TURBO WITH OIL this is an absolute MUST as if you do not then when you start the car the turbo will spin dry and break almost instantly!
When you fit the turbo remember to bolt it down nice and tight to stop any air leaks, Remember your turbo system is only good if it is 100% air tight!.

Step 6:
Okay now that you have the turbo firmly attached to the engine you can install your water cooling, i used the heater hoses at the top of the engine as they are the easiest to reach and dont effect your engines main coolant line.
Cut the lines with a very sharp knife, saw or wire cutters and insert a brass T, when you come to attach the lines to the turbo make sure you get all the air out of the system and prime the turbo with water, this will avoid air locking your cooling system.

Step 7:
Now that the turbo is on you will notice that it is very close to the a/c unti, this means you will need to move the idle up solanoide to a different location, this is easily done as the lines/wires and plently long enough, i moved mine to the other bolt closer to the front of the engine.

Step 8:
Exhaust, okay there are many ways of doing this, get a new exhaust made, use a 2.4 exhaust, or modify your stock one.
I chose to modify my stock exhaust to save some money, its a bit of a pig to get it to fit!
After 2 days of cutting, bending, lenghtaning, welding i came this close..

There was quite alot of shouting and strong words to the exhaust, so i got fed up and cut the system in half, bolted it to the turbo, and bolted it to the remaining exhaust then welded it together while it was on the car, this allowed me to make sure that it was a prefect fit!

Step 9 :
Right, now you have oil to the turbo, water to it, and exhaust gasses out, all you need is the air ducting to start getting some boost!.
you can try and buy some intercooler piping but its about $80 per lenght!! so i used some large exhaust tubing for $30 for the lot, you will also need some silicone couplings, bends and reducers/enlargers, these are VERY EXPENSIVE, my one 90 degree bend cost $75 from supercheap auto and the others were $35 each!

You can save a bit of cash by re-shaping your standard air intake pipe, i cut if down to reduce the angles of the bend so it would fit properly, there is a surpising amount of room under the hood! so go nuts!

Step 10:
Okay then, now that you have everything down and working you can fit your boost guage.
i used the fitting on the intake manifold that usually has the crackcase breather on it, remove the breather and re-attach it to the LOW PRESSURE side of the air system, you dont want to be boosting into your crankcase!
I used a mechanical gauge so i needed to make my own adapter to take a large pipe to a tiny pipe.

Now put the gauge where ever you would like.

I also recommend fitting a pyrometer that moniters your exhaust gas temp, this will show you if your engine is overheating or running well, mine is still to arrive in the mail so i am missing this step for the time being.

Step 11:
Right so now you can run your truck and see how she handles, if its a bit slow you will need to adjust your fuel pump, there is a small screw on the back of the fuel pump with a lock nut attached, you will need to crack this lock nut off and turn the fuel screw clockwise (rught) 1/8 of a turn at a time until you feel the power, if you get lots of black smoke then youve gone to far and will need to wind it back to stop damaging the engine.
Im running about 11psi and would recommend not going any higher, as this would put to much stress on the engine and cause it to wear out or fail prematurely.
11psi is more than enough, my truck feels like a new machine, remeber it will never be a v8 race car, its a big low reving diesel pulling alot of weight, its never going to be "fast" but a turbo definatly helps!!!

the bolt coloured in red is the fuel screw with locknut on it.

And now your done!, got out and enjoy it, you will love the new get up and go that your truck will have, if you want further improvments then upgrade to a 2 1/2 exhaust of a 3inch exhaust to get the gasses out faster !
Hope this helps anybody who is planning on doing this to their truck, you will not regret it !
Have fun!!
Last edited by helmut79 on Fri, 23 Mar 2012 1:07 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sticky Request
jarrad2314

Re: Fitting Turbo to 2.8 (3L) HiLux

Postby Putsy on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 2:38 +0000

very good write up, only thing missing is the sizes/ Thread sizes of the fittings but people can work that out :D
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6631&p=95887&hilit=Putsy#p95887 My Build... A little small but its not always the size that matters ;)

putsy@newhilux.net
Putsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kiwihilux on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 4:56 +0000

Agree with above other wise awesome thanks mate
kiwihilux

Postby jarrad2314 on Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:00 +0000

Would it be possible for the mods or admin to make this a sticky link? Would probably save people asking about it, just an idea :lol:
jarrad2314

Postby helmut79 on Fri, 23 Mar 2012 1:07 +0000

Done and done
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby 85LUX on Tue, 17 Apr 2012 2:36 +0000

just s quick update on if your goign to try this, some things i would sugest know i have done the conversion my self

dont use the ebay turbo, they are just a cheap copy that dont last long, buy a genuine one and have it rebuilt
i would also feed the return line into the some because sometimes the alt return line can block up, and if you can try use the oil feed/return hard lines for the turbo, they are the sizes you need, the return line has a id of about 15mm

i also cant say it enough to people to buy good quality egt and boost gauges, a mate had an ebay one that was 3 psi out, also your truck is worth alot more than the cheapest egt gauge you can find
85LUX

Postby Gatti on Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:48 +0000

What happened mate, did you have a failure?
Gatti

Postby 85LUX on Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:46 +0000

I was given a borrowed turbo, it didnt last long, ran
It for maybe 3 weeks, it was brand new when I put it on, started squeling and blowing lots of oil through the intake pipe, lucky I got to if first, I found 3 cracks on the turbo fins, my mate got it refunded
85LUX

Postby Gatti on Thu, 19 Apr 2012 2:42 +0000

85LUX wrote:I was given a borrowed turbo, it didnt last long, ran
It for maybe 3 weeks, it was brand new when I put it on, started squeling and blowing lots of oil through the intake pipe, lucky I got to if first, I found 3 cracks on the turbo fins, my mate got it refunded

Lucky you sorted it out before it did any real damage. :)
Gatti

Postby little bitty on Thu, 26 Apr 2012 3:22 +0000

hi guys,
for all of those that have dont this to a 3L... what are your thoughts on the rings and pistons burning out? i have spoken to a few people and that said a few mods need to be done to the block to prevent long time damage.
little bitty

Postby 85LUX on Thu, 26 Apr 2012 8:38 +0000

To make sure you get longevity out of your engine fit an egt gauge and don't lett it get over 550, at 500 you should start backing of the pedal, the only reason the burn valves is the egts get to hot and melt the piston
85LUX

Postby little bitty on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 9:20 +0000

fantastic...awesome, great link and read. :D
little bitty

Postby kimba on Sat, 23 Jun 2012 8:26 +0000

i use my ln86r as a daily, i have a tinnie but other than that i dont really need the power (it already tows the tinny without a problem)
now i havn't the most amount of knowledge when it comes to engines - diesel in particular. i can point out the main components of an engine and have repaired a few of these over my short time with cars.

what kind of knowledge would i need and how much dosh should i realistically set aside to succesfully turbo my truck with the least of implications on the block?
This is something that i have always wanted to do, but i was always sceptical and wanted to wait till i at least finished my mech engineeering degree for maximum knowledge

any input would be appreciated :D
thanks
kimba

Postby lux087 on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 6:32 +0000

Hey guys does anyone know what size the oil feed fitting is on the block for the turbo?
lux087

Postby angusjones8 on Sun, 25 May 2014 5:07 +0000

^^^^^^^ I used a 1/8bsp-1/2jic (think) and it screwed into the blanked off oil supply about 4'' behind the alternator oil supply. I used the ebay ct20 braided hoses and also welded a fitting directly to the sump.
angusjones8

Postby andy666 on Mon, 26 May 2014 6:46 +0000

Just read the original post. So dodgy, so many things not done right and will cause problems down the line.
*shakes head and walks away*
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby rory18 on Mon, 26 May 2014 9:59 +0000

Some people like 'on going' projects.
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jay054x4 on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 5:09 +0000

andy666 wrote:Just read the original post. So dodgy, so many things not done right and will cause problems down the line.

So for us not so up to speed on the "dodgy" stuff in the OP, please explain what are the problems & what should be done instead?

Also, on another note, being new to deisel engines, when doing this conversion do you need to decompress the engine as with turbocharging petrol engines? I am thinking of doing this to my LN167 EFI 3.0L :?
Jay054x4

Postby pipert on Thu, 19 Nov 2015 12:55 +0000

Jay054x4 wrote:
andy666 wrote:Just read the original post. So dodgy, so many things not done right and will cause problems down the line.

So for us not so up to speed on the "dodgy" stuff in the OP, please explain what are the problems & what should be done instead?

Also, on another note, being new to deisel engines, when doing this conversion do you need to decompress the engine as with turbocharging petrol engines? I am thinking of doing this to my LN167 EFI 3.0L :?

No need to decompress the engine. I've turbocharged my LN167 which has the 5LE. Also have added a chip and I've had no issues running either. The turbo has been on my car for about 30,000KM.
2000 Dual Cab Hilux "Tonka" LN167
pipert

Postby TTONE1 on Sat, 08 Jan 2022 7:08 +0000

Hi do you know which one is the oil feed on the block? Doing my one is well but don’t know which one is the oil feed thx.
TTONE1

Next

Return to Engines